Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1976 Gremlin

towtruck

I'll be buying several of these... and harrasing Round 2 to look into bringing back more '70's compacts- like the Pacer and Chevette!

I think that if they can bring back the Gremlin, (&they have) why can't they bring back the early Pinto's? (haven't heard a thing about even a possibility).

seriously, you guys are excited over a *gremlin*?

those were complete grandma cars back in the day where i lived (california...maybe thats the reason). we used to totally laugh our azzes off over them.

yeah some of em had a big motor but heck you could get a big motor in a good looking car too.

im just surprised because this kit reissue would be my #1 guess to totally flop. guess i am out of the loop. i realize there is a nostalgia market for those cars and depictions of them but i cant really picture selling 10,000 of them (guessing at the figure...i think they would probably hope to sell more...to whom exactly i cannot imagine)

pintos...now they were a laughing stock too but a friend of mine had one with a V8 and it got with the program. still looked dorky as all get out though. as his evolved it got kooler looking; as i recall he had a moon tank mounted out in front of the grille toward the end (as in getting drafted and off to 'nam) but i dont think it was ever really hooked up and he was running some pretty good size cheater slicks on the back and halibrand aluminum wheels in the front.

that was basically what we equated with pintos and gremlins: dorks and grandmas.

but i ran with a strange crowd: i had an MGTF and an Anglia panel wagon with a Cortina GT motor, trans and running gear, my best friend had a 1275 morris mini all lowered and hopped up plus a triumph TR10 station wagon with a TR4 motor and trans in it and most of my other friends were running mustangs, corvettes, 396 nova or chevelles, that kinda stuff. and richs pinto was right in there with those cars (eg: good in a straight line but terrible when you come to the first corner).

so maybe it was me who was the dork.

and let me qualify that "dork" part a little: sometimes the "dorks" grew up to be pretty well off. like bill gates. he bought a country estate in germany just so he could have a place to drive and keep his porsches the US govt would not let him bring into this country. yeah, dork, right...dork with million dollar porsches and we all know how dorky those porsche 938s are.

alright... :rolleyes: ... i will duck the flack now!

the problem is, that dumb gremlin is starting to grow on me!

the problem is, that dumb gremlin is starting to grow on me!

Good. Let the hate flow through you... :P

I was born after all of these cars had ended production (except the Chevette), so the stigma they had when they were new cars is lost on me. If nothing else, it's nice to see something other than the same worn-out muscle car kits being reissued, for a change.

Can someone with the kit please show a close-up pic of the drag tires? Are the different from the parts pack tires? Thanks bigtim.

Yes, they are different. Wider and softer.

AMTGremlintires1.jpg

I'll have some comparison pics up in a minute..

Edited by RodneyBad

I bought both the Gremlin and the Barnabas Vampire Van today and thought the M&H tires would be the same in both kits..., I was wrong!! they are both beautiful !!!, but the Vampire van ones are much larger than the Gremlins and perfect for early front engine Top Fuel Dragsters and the Gremlin's are perfect for early Pro Stock or Super Stock.. Vampire vans are on the left and the Gremin's are on the right..

post-6461-0-25235500-1325926202_thumb.jp

Edited by kitswapper

I bought both the Gremlin and the Barnabas Vampire Van today and thought the M&H tires would be the same in both kits..., I was wrong!! they are both beautiful !!!

Is it just me or do those tires look like they're made from tiny bits of ground up rubber which didn't completely homogenize when molded? When the flash lights up the sidewall, it appears bumpy and, well, not very nice. Are your slicks liek that, too, Rodney?

I hope the recent AMT parts packs slicks aren't like that, too. :huh:

I hope the recent AMT parts packs slicks aren't like that, too. :huh:

The parts pack slick in on the right and looks very nice and the AMT Gremlin X slick looks Perfect to me..

The Barnabas Vampire Van Slick Does look A little Ruff..

I do have a Barnabas Vampire Van from the last issue but it is unreachable at this time ;):D