Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tubing storage?

I'm looking for a better way to store aluminum and brass tubing and rod. At present I keep them in a piece of PVC pipe. That's not good enough because I like to have the different sizes separated. I thought about some clear tubing that I could label. How you you store your tubing and rod?

Too short. I want them to be about 12" long. Looks like uline.com and eplastics.com has what I'm looking for. I need to do more investigation.

Uline has minimum quantity on there orders . If you decide to go that route , let me know and we can split the order .

BOB .

Go buy a stick of PVC and cut it into what ever lengths your needing, lay them down, prime and glue. Either all side by side or stacked a few deep. Then you can hang it off the side of your bench or the wall out of the way.

You could get real fancy and cap the ends and glue them at a staggered angle so they are pointing up a bit.

I'm hoping to come up with something as well. I currently have mine in tool box drawers in there original boxes. The problem here is the brass and aluminum takes up four drawers. The styrene takes up two large drawers.

I'm thinking of the upright rack but out of thin plywood with square holes.

IMG_2269-vi.jpg

Keep the good ideas coming!

Go buy a stick of PVC and cut it into what ever lengths your needing, lay them down, prime and glue. Either all side by side or stacked a few deep. Then you can hang it off the side of your bench or the wall out of the way.

You could get real fancy and cap the ends and glue them at a staggered angle so they are pointing up a bit.

Basically what I did, but glued ABS pipe to a board. and made slots from wood for the sheet plastic. I grouped strip/rod/tubing by type / shape, not size (round, quarter round, tubing, strip etc). It doesn't really show but there is a third row of tubes for the brass.

plasticorganizer.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

Those plastic 'shoe box' tubs.......

Nope they are made for linen storage I think. But they sure work great for all sorts of things.

I have at least 4 dozen plastic shoe boxes also that I use to store projects in, and pieces parts.

Edited by Mercman

I'm hoping to come up with something as well. I currently have mine in tool box drawers in there original boxes. The problem here is the brass and aluminum takes up four drawers. The styrene takes up two large drawers.

I'm thinking of the upright rack but out of thin plywood with square holes.

IMG_2269-vi.jpg

Keep the good ideas coming!

are you a dealer? or just don't want to run out on a sunday afternoon?

are you a dealer? or just don't want to run out on a sunday afternoon?

I hate running out of stuff. :P Most of the time I never know what size I want until I get started on a project and visually see what looks good.

Here is my sheet goods holder.

SheetPlasticStorage_jpg-vi.jpg

I have a couple tootsie roll containers. I don't keep more that a dozen alum tubes at a time. you can get them pretty

cheap right now at the dollor stores. Then you can enjoy the candy while you build. Keep them in a corner on the

bench. I stand them up. Take up less room that way and they are handy.