Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tubing storage?

Darn you people and your good idea's. I was content with being just being annoyed when I needed to find something in the pile on the workbench, now I can't be satisfied with than anymore. Gonna have to come up with something. I have a space under the workbench where i think i can make a couple shallow drawers, although i really like Jim's upright storage too Jim!

Thanks Jim, I like the tubes because you can put shorter pieces in if you want, although sliding the brass in them may scratch the insides up. I'm kind of cheap, I have $20.00 in mine and have 160+ holes,lol

I haven't done anything with my styrene yet. Need to sort it and see how many different item I have.

I too like to be organized, it just doesn't always happen :P

I like to be organized too,(just don't look in my garage) but hadn't thought of a way to do anything about the strip, round, tubes etc in the workshop until I saw this thread. I only annoyed me when I tried to find what I needed so although I knew I wanted to do something about it, it wasn't high on my list yet.. Thank you all for posting your ideas, now I have several options and can get something done fairly simply with materials I already have on hand.

Well my drawers worked sort of. Idea was sound, but not enough of them...I made 2 of them 10" wide 3/4 deep. Thought about adding another one but I don't think that will be enough either. So now i have some 3/4 thin wall plastic tubing ordered from a local glass shop. I don't have room for a lot of tubes, but i hope a couple dozen will fit in my space. if the tubes cover everything, I could have a couple drawers left over....Guessing it will use all of everything i make. I will post photos when i get finished.

• 3 weeks later...

Well,, I finally got something finished with the storage issue. Took a while since i promised myself I would start cleaning up the workbenches in the garage too. Saturdays in the garage and sundays in the workshop. Here is a before...Before_zps98ac3b61.jpg

All I had was a few PVC pipes glued together to make a horizontal rack.

first attempt -2 drawersAttempt1_zps9365d4ce.jpg which didnot provide near enough room.

Found a local glass shop that could get me polycorbonate tubing and cut it to length. 24 pieces 6" for a buck each and about 2 1/2 feet left over. I have since found that the tubing can be cut niceley with a pipe cutter. Went to menards and picked up a sheet of .093 polycarbonate sheet. Cut out discs with a hollow puch and hammer then glued them to one end. Made a rack and I am done right? Still not enough room so I made anther drawer so everything fits and is off the workbench.Final2_zpsb41b0f93.jpgFinal_zps9254e632.jpg

Overall pleased with the results and now I can get to work on something else. Thanks to all of you for your ideas and photos, you gave me the inspiration to make something better than I had!