Model Cars Magazine Forum

Changing color on tires..... how ?

I just ordered a model kit of a 1912 Henderson motorcycle on ebay. The kit comes with black rubber/vinyl tires. I think I want to do white tires like some were back in the day but don't know how best to do that. Looking for a procedure that will dry and not crack when I mount them to the wheels. Any suggestions ? Thanks

I just ordered a model kit of a 1912 Henderson motorcycle on ebay. The kit comes with black rubber/vinyl tires. I think I want to do white tires like some were back in the day but don't know how best to do that. Looking for a procedure that will dry and not crack when I mount them to the wheels. Any suggestions ? Thanks

FWIW, car and motorcycle tires weren't actually white back then--they only appear that way in photographs due to the still primitive camera's and film of the day.

Rubber tires were originally made with gum rubber (you know, the kind that comes from trees on rubber plantations) which is a creamy color when dry, and turns a buff color when vulcanized (think the buff colored sidewalls on 10-spd bicycle tires).

Just a thought for your accuracy.

Art

After detailing my tires I always spray them with DullCote to give them a nice satin finish .

It dries quickly and doesn't seem to rub off , so I bet you could spray another color on top of it !

I've never done this but it might be worth a try on an old tire to see if it works . :)

PVC (vinyl) can be very successfully painted with any of the water-borne acrylic paints sold by Folk Art or Apple Barrel, as unlike enamels, they will dry readily on PVC, and unlike lacquers, they tend to stick to soft PVC pretty well. With narrow tires such as motorcycle tires, I'd suggest mounting the tires on the wheels first (a thin band of CA glue works for me on this), then painting the tires your desired color.

Art

There used to be an interior vinyl spray. I don't know if it would work on tires. It worked very well on an interior (1:1) I did once.

Yup. Used to be called MarHyde, among other names.

Duplicolor, PlastiKote and VHT make similar vinyl-dye rattlecan products still. Incredibly easy stuff to use.

Works great on sneakers, too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ray,

Any type of automotive adhesion promoter will work, Most paint manufactures have this product in their line.

I use a product by the name of Bullfrog, Many uses for this product. Rubber, Plastic, Vinyl, Leather.............

Scuff part, Apply Bullfrog, Paint

Jimmy "RASS"