Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '55 Ford P/U Custom update 7/13

love the rims and tire choice what are you thinking for paint ?

I think I'm going to go with Testors lacquers. A combo of Graphite Grey and Firey Orange.

Sorry for no updates. Life is busy. Hopefully I'll get some work on this in a few days or this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Ok, a little update for now. I took all your suggestions and Stasch's bed Tut and I redid the wood bed. I got some Evergreen I-beam the same width as the birch plywood I was using and cut everything to shape and to fit. Now I've got to stain the wood. When everything is done I'll bmf the rails.

Thanks for the suggestions to do this everyone, I think it's going to pay off big time. Thanks for looking.

DSCN3915.jpg

DSCN3916.jpg

DSCN3918.jpg

So one thing that has always bothered me about these mid 50's Ford truck is the way that the front of the hood bulges up. I went back and forth with this idea but today committed to sectioning it to take care of the problem. I've seen all the great body work done here on the forum and I figured that a simple pie-style sectioning of the hood couldn't be all that hard. So here we go!

Started by taping a line where I would cut.

DSCN3919.jpg

Highlighted that line with a sharpie...

DSCN3921.jpg

removed the tape and readied for cutting with a razor-saw.

DSCN3922.jpg

Here we have the cut completed and sanded out. I didn't cut all the way back so that the hood still matched up with the cowl.

DSCN3924.jpg

Glued back together with Tenax and CA. No sanding yet, but here is what the profile will look like. Just a slight forward slope. Perfect.

DSCN3928.jpg

Sanded and smoothed...

DSCN3929.jpg

DSCN3930.jpg

... and hit with a first coat of Squadron green putty. I'm going to let this dry, sand it smooth and, if it stops raining here today, I'll get a light coat of primer on it to see how it looks. I'll rinse and repeat as necessary until it's all smooth!

DSCN3931.jpg

Thanks for taking a look! :D

• 1 month later...

So I couldn't leave well enough alone so I moved the front wheel openings forward about 3-4 mm. I neglected to take any photos of that process as one day I just decided to dive in head first on it.

Having done this, of course, means that the suspension points on the front end needed to be moved as well to mach the new openings.

After some deliberation I decided that it would just be easiest to move the whole front frame clip forward by adding some plastic to the frame. The following pictures show a little of what I did, as well as the results.

As always, thanks for looking and any/ all comments etc welcome!

DSCN3997.jpg

DSCN3998.jpg

DSCN3999.jpg

These are just some quick mock ups. The front wheel isn't attached, which is why it looks a little too far forward in the wheel well. I just wanted to get an idea of how it all looked.

DSCN4001.jpg

DSCN4000.jpg

That is coming together very nicely. Your "trimming" of the hood really adds to the overall look. It's subtle yet accomplishes so much.

I like that because if you hadn't seen the build photos, you look and say "what did he do?"

The wheel openings are a case in point. You didn't show the process, yet when I first viewed the new pics I said Hmmmmm, THEN I read what you did...........

The bed is just money.

G

Edited by AgentG

That is coming together very nicely. Your "trimming" of the hood really adds to the overall look. It's subtle yet accomplishes so much.

I like that because if you hadn't seen the build photos, you look and say "what did he do?"

The wheel openings are a case in point. You didn't show the process, yet when I first viewed the new pics I said Hmmmmm, THEN I read what you did...........

The bed is just money.

G

DSCN3822.jpg

DSCN3932.jpg

DSCN4000.jpg

Gotta agree with G...100% custom, but so subtle you really don't know what was done!!!!

Foose did the front wheels on his own Effie and it makes a HUGE difference!!:unsure::lol:

Three thumbs up :D :D ;)

Gotta agree with G...100% custom, but so subtle you really don't know what was done!!!!

Foose did the front wheels on his own Effie and it makes a HUGE difference!!:unsure::lol:

Three thumbs up :D :D ;)

Thanks guys! The Foose '56 was what had me thinking about moving the wheels forward, then lownslow did it to his that's on the bench here and I was sold.

I am happy with the subtlety and I hope when it's done people look at it for a while before seeing the changes.

Still have to finess some of the body work and work on the suspension. I'd like to get it a little lower if I can. Maybe one of these days it'll see some paint ;)

• 9 months later...

I got inspired to pull this one back out and get back on it. I realized I had two directions going on this one; custom and some modern. I think I want to give it more of a classic custom feel and the first place to make a change is the interior. I felt that some tuck and roll was appropriate so I broke out the half round and got to gluing. I've done the door panels and the bench seat thus far. I might do a head liner as well, but I'm getting low on stock, so we'll see.

There's some gaping on the seat, but I've got some thread that I'm going to do some piping with once it's painted, so it won't be seen in the end.

DSCN4363.jpg

DSCN4364.jpg

DSCN4369.jpg

DSCN4371.jpg

Here you can see how I've been busy with the bondo, primer and sand paper, trying to get things all smoothed out.

DSCN4367.jpg

As always, thanks for taking a look!

Edited by Ryan S.

I agree, and that's the direction I'll continue to take it. I was planning on putting a more modern Chevy 350 in it, but now I'm thinking I'll see how the Caddy motor from the Revell 49 Merc looks. I just hope, at 1/25, it doesn't look too small in the 1/24 engine bay.

Thanks for the update Ryan.

With the tuck and roll interior and sectioned hood

I believe the build is leaning towards traditional.

Got a 53 Ford here under "On the workbench".

Just have to finish the chassis.

• 2 months later...

Oh my gosh, an update! I've been putting some more work in on this one as I'd like to see it finished. I've built up the Caddy motor and I think it looks right at home in the '55 engine bay. It doesn't look too small. Wheels and tires are detailed. I used the drum-brakes and wheel backs from the '60 Starliner.

The wood bed is in and the top of the rails are foiled. I've still got to put some cross supports under it and foil the bottom as well.

Chassis is painted gloss black lacquer, the wheels aren't glued in place yet.

I've still got to finish the body work but once that's done and painted the rest should all fall in place.

Thanks for looking!

20120706_120107.jpg

20120706_120117.jpg

20120706_120125.jpg

20120706_120139.jpg

20120706_120233.jpg

20120706_120254.jpg