Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truckster's, The Next Generation!

That's what I need!!! A paint rack!!! And, a fully stocked one at that!!

I tried to get one from a hobby shop that was going out of business a couple of years ago, but that was one of the few things that the owner kept for himself.

I did manage to buy the wall mounted display that he had for my N gauge trains...

Update

Found a set of wheels and tires.

Working on filling the void cast into the top of the rear axle. Got all the parts together but nothing yet to show.

Front axle has been drilled for kingpins and I am taking pictures but I only work on it in the evening.

The days are for WORK!

Sunday however, I completely take off so I should make good progress tomorrow. Hopefully have a rolling frame to show this evening. ;)

That's gonna look cool. Man, as is you've made more progress than most folks do on a new project . . . I hope you will take pictures of both the individual elements and how they fit together . . . in another place you had discussed how you "pin" your parts together . . . man, the more info on that the more we'll all learn . . . I mean, the concept is revolutionary . . . at a time when I did most of my mockups by using water based glues . . . ;)

You can take a donkey to water, make him drink, but he'll never become a horse!!! ;)

With a cup of hot French roast in one hand and a cold beer in the other, I challenge the night with Mark Lindsey* spinning classic rock records on the radio.

The Rolling Chassis

Lots more work but the basic structure is here finally. Still need to build a suitable cross member, shock mounts, brakes lines…. Blah, blah, blah.

Stance with the body looks good but glue not dry enough to add too much weight at the moment.

rollingframe-vi.jpg

framebottom-vi.jpg

Front axle is anybodys guess but I think it is from AMT 1941 Woody. Wheels and tires are Monogram L'il coffin. Rear Axle is Galaxie 1948 Chev.

* Mark Lindsey, former lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raiders, is currently a DJ with 106.7 KhiTS and broadcasts from his studio/restaurant: Mark Lindsay's Rock & Roll Cafe, in Portland's trendy Hollywood District at 42nd and NE Sandy Blvd., 7pm to 11pm every Saturday night!

It sounds like you are a styrene poet . . . listening to music, drinking beer (with tea! :) ) and building your new project as steadily as can be . . .and you are getting great results there . . . parts-box-raiding has always appealed to me, and often, on these forums, it's lead to an intense discussion between the no, no, no-don't-open-the-kit-to-build-it folks and those of us who were born to be junk yard rats and would steal a part even from the most precious keeper-kit . . .

You got the stance right and the wheel/tire combination looks killer . . . keep it going, buddy . . . you are on a roll! :lol:;);)

V, I rarely steal parts from a mint kit as this box contains bits and pieces from 4 kits....

I buy up these "swap meet" finds with the hope of finding a home for of the bits sometime in the future.

P1011370-vi.jpg

Incidentally I have two rubbermade TUBS full of cast off parts for digging through like Scrooge McDuck and his cartoon money bin!

New mockup:

mockup5-vi.jpg

Don't even ask... :blink:

You jammed a Sherman tank engine under the hood?

Hot rods, rat rods etc really are not my thing but I do enjoy watching people build them, no rules at all. :unsure:

Its also nice to see the people behind the magazine actually build something now and then.

You are really trying to force my hand arn'tcha?

Okay, not a Sherman tank engine. But very very close!

It is a replica of an M3A1 Stuart light tank engine.

250hp 7 cyl gas powered radial, which was air cooled and built by Continental.

The Sherman M4 engine was 9 cyl and diesel.

v_stuart1-vi.jpg

engine-vi.gif

50th27-vi.jpg

Oh, man, this is getting too good to just stand by and watch . . . I feel like I need to do something, build something . . . totally inspiring, unfortunately, I threw out my back this morning carrying one of my dogs . . . so between the pain killers and this tank engine, I think I am in fantasy land!!! :unsure:B):lol:

Jairus, you sure know how to cook up some amazing stuff . . .

That tank engine is a nice piece. Jairus vacuum formed the cooling shroud over the engine then trimmed it to look like the real thing.

That engine is the second or third engine he sticks in every mock-up. Looks like it may have found a home. I'm going to miss it. :unsure:

Well, if the tank is a 1/35th, I guess he is making it fit via poetic liscense . . . which is very cool . . . but I wonder if they ever made 1/24th tanks? In any case, this is turning out to be a fabulous build . . . can't wait to see more of it coming together . . . . it looks like you've found all the basic elements, J.

You know, the more I look at the way you've set this up, the more I believe it's got all that whiplash, look-at-me-NOW, gotcha factor . . . how could it not . . . it's a frankestein in its own right . . . I get the feeling you don't particularly care much for chrome . . . which in these kinds of builds gets in the way, but could be used as subtle accents . . .

Poetic license is always taken when ever building a street rod! That is why the military modelers cannot understand us in my opinion. They build under heavy rules which dictate the very color they use and where the markings go. If those rules are not adhered to then the model ends up as fantasy. We are artists and build under no such rules. Anything goes and the more different it is the better we like it and that is the reason you are seeing here what your seeing here!

Anyway, the tank engine is scratchbuilt as close to 1/25 as I could get. I built it a number of years ago from a photo of one found in a wrecking yard and the scale was determined by the other junk around the engine. The engine in the picture was very weathered having set on the ground under the eve of a shed for many years. Steel rusts but the aluminum bits had turned a dusty gray color as the alloys broke down. The contrasts were stunning and I wanted to build my self one and .... did!

However, I might not weather this one that heavily since it is actually suppose to run. :rolleyes:

frameeng01-vi.jpg

One thing I notice with this mounting is the engine is BIG! 250hp in stock form makes this a great motor for a young junkyard parts picker with-which to build a Rat Rod. But even with most of the engine made of aluminum the center of gravity is way higher than it should be. Handling would be scary to say the least. I am actually considering going back to the 400cid Caddy motor and a more conservative appearance...

frameeng02-vi.jpg

The shroud about the back side contains a big fan which pushes air past the clutch and over the cylinders and out the back of the tank vents.

Here, it would work just fine out in the open... but my research has thus far not told me the rotational direction of the original Continental engine. Therefore the fan has not been constructed yet. The clutch and transmission mounting are not yet figured out but looks pretty weird.

frameeng03-vi.jpg

:lol:

Man, those are some gorgeous pictures, J--pure eye candy, as I see it . . . . you seem to be really deep into the character of this dude who would put together such a monster . . . and all you logic behind his build is solid . . . personally, my preference would be to keep this engine . . . but I also see how it just might not fit in given the nature of your concerns about it . . .

It also reminds me of one of your illustrations of a car with an airplane engine and propeller in the back . . . from a few years ago . . . would this tank engine not be better on a heavier vehicle, or in the rear of a vehicle . . . closer to the cab . . . .

Just ideas . . . in any case, you are making some amazing progress here . . .

Jarius....wow! this is cool..I do remember a certain article waay back in the early 90s about a scratch built 7 cylinder radial engine(the 2032 rod you built) is this a continuation of that theme?(albeit in a totally non-futuristic way..lol)

Also thanks for the tutorial on the frame z for the front of the 32 I'm going to try that out on a build of mine..

anyway keep the ideas coming..I like where this is going!!!!!

Gray