Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota Corolla AE86 V8!

ChevyCoupe41

Okay here is my latest and one of the weirdest projects, Toyota Corolla AE86 V8 Drifter. I bought this Levin kit on last year and first I tried to put Nissan Straight six engine on it but it was just too long to Toyota engine room. Last week I got Revell Shelby GT500 engine and first it was going to one of mine pro touring project but then I got idea to try how it fits to Toyota engine room and the result you see in pictures. Engine room is so tight that radiator and battery will be on trunk. Chassis have also got some modification like that i cut molded transmission and make some room for Shelby engine.

Here's some pics so you can see what is going on.

Starting point is this kit.

IMG_1985.jpg?t=1358965897

Engine is almost finished but I still need to put some details on it and I have to paint transmission.

IMG_1988.jpg?t=1358965922

Chassis

IMG_1984.jpg?t=1358965935

And engine room. Engine just fits to engine room but there don't have too much space.

IMG_1983.jpg?t=1358966055

And one mock up pic.

IMG_1987.jpg?t=1358965912

Thanks for lookin! :)

Edited by ChevyCoupe41

Thanks guys for kind words! I think that engine is from 2007 or 2010 Shelby GT500 but i'm not sure because I bought only engine not the whole model kit.

Small update. Since i tried that Nissan straight six engine I made big hole to the fire wall because it was so long. Today I filled that hole because Shelby engine is not so long as Nissan engine was. Now it need more bondo and sanding and some more bondo and sanding... :D

IMG_1991.jpg?t=1359212968

Next I will start to cut some holes to hood because blower and aircleaner don't fit under it. So stay tuned. ;)

Thanks guys for comments! :)

Matthew: It's not possible to lower motor because then the front suspension would need some big modifications and it is the kind of thing that I'm trying to avoid.

Mike: Thank's! Yep it's very tight fit and today I figured that I must have to do modifications to interior also because transmission. It is going look like that the project goes out of control very early stage. :lol:

Edited by ChevyCoupe41

It is going look like that the project goes out of control very early stage. :lol:

Hey, that's like our Simcas, isn't it? :lol::D

Very interesting project, I will be following this one for sure. A bit boring car (at least in 1:1 scale) turns out really interesting with V8. It's also nice to see that you managed not to start a Pro Touring build. :lol:

Just kidding.

The engine looks very good to me, and the engine bay is really small. Mechanics will have hard time when doing repair work to engine in the races.

Keep going.

Thanks guys!

Niko: Thanks Niko! Yep it going out of control just like our Simcas. :D And i must have to fit some kind of master cylinder and that kind of stuff to engine bay too so there will not be any kind of spare room in engine bay.

Patrik: Thanks! It is nice to heard that others like this project too. :)

Gary: Thanks! Yep, Nothing can't beat real american V8. B)

Today i started to modify interior so I hope that we have update tomorrow. Stay tuned. ;)

Edited by ChevyCoupe41

Update!

Yesterday I did modificatins to transmissiontunnel and now engine fits better and interior too.

First I cut that old transmission tunnel away...

IMG_1992.jpg?t=1359571329

...then I cut new transmission tunnel from Revell Dodge Ram VTS interior but as you can see it was too wide and long...

IMG_1993.jpg?t=1359571485

...after shortening it looked like this...

IMG_1994.jpg?t=1359571635

...and after narrowing it looked like this. As you can see I didn't narrowed that whole piece ,only the back of bit. It is going to take shape and now it needs some styren and lots of bondo and sanding.

IMG_1995.jpg?t=1359571754

I also returned firewall and now it look like this. Still needs some bondo but not very much.

IMG_1997.jpg?t=1359571881

Next I need to start planning that what kind of radiator i put on it. It will be on trunk so it will need some kind of brackets etc. Also need to do some holes rear of the car because there must have to be way where air goes to radiator.

Edited by ChevyCoupe41

• 3 months later...

Haha, neat project! The hood scoop looks a little over the top, even thought the model is crazy to start with. Maybe make some nice lump/buldge in the hood to clear the engine, then have a vent or small scoop of to the side where the airbox is. Thats my input on the scoop.

Edited by JasonC