Model Cars Magazine Forum

ScaleKraft Broadspeed Mini Conversion, Finished Apr 22, 2014

jbwelda

: kind of looks like the valve cover is going to interfere with the hood. that actually stands to reason when I think about it as the profile of this hood is way lower in the front than the stock one and the valve cover sticks way up and probably determined the height of the front of the hood on the original body.

I noticed that issue when I was modifying the chassis. The car is actually sectioned in addition to being chopped! I just sectioned the engine block! I had to do the same thing with the Minisprint body too. Maybe you can grind the head down AND the bottom of the valve cover? How about a hood scoop? :o

Are you interested in some vac-form windows for this car? I made up epoxy putty forms and can run a pair off for you if you can PM me your address.

so martin, you have built this before? care to share some pics of in progress or completed? please post them to this thread if you can, I would like to see what you did.

yeah section the engine block...if only I knew! I might have to bust the motor out of the chassis and get drastic because I am not sure if I can cut that valve cover down enough. if I have to do the motor over I might just start with a fresh one.

hood scoop also crossed my mind, maybe maybe...

vac formed windows? you bet your bippy I could use some! especially the windshield, I was unsure what I was going to do there aside from the kit one...PM sent and many thanks for offering!

brit racing green yes the thought crossed my mind but all I seem to have been doing lately is BRG so I wanted something different and something more flash plus I had some Tamiya mica red and clear red on hand so there you have it.

thanks for looking and all comments welcomed!

thanks for the pics Tom, that looks like a nice job on the broadspeed, I wonder if the guy from scalekraft himself built those? I also have the traveler body, or maybe its the morris instead of the Austin (or vice versa).

photo reminds me that I need to source some taillights too...

meanwhile I dug out the stock valve cover and chopped off the filler cap and further lowered its profile so I am going to see if that fits a little better later on today after the interior touchup dries a bit more. I really like the look of the finned high-lift cover but in this case maybe the less flashy stock one will look appropriate (and more importantly, fit better).

if not, I am thinking I am down to only a couple options: make the valve cover removable and only put it on with the hood open, just glue the hood shut and forget about the engine detail, or cut a hole in the hood and cover it with a scoop. that last one is pretty drastic though because it means the hood will have to be reshot with paint and I took pains to get a nice even color match between the body and the hood, which will be out the window if I reshoot the hood. also not sure a hood scoop will look good on the car. but at this point sectioning the motor is out of the question without destroying the chassis because its glued in there pretty well and surrounded with under hood stuff. perhaps if I need just a tiny bit more clearance with the stock valve cover I can grind down the block just a bit (cause there aint much there to grind on without getting down into motor detail) combined with relieving the underside of the hood a bit.

at any rate later this evening I will fit the chassis under the body and see how it stands at that point.

thanks again for all comment etc!

Those were my models at Toledo! Guido is in Capetown, South Africa and is completely out of model cars at this point. Here are some pics of my built models anyway

2minis3-vi.jpg

Broadspeed and the Countryman wagon.

sprint1-vi.jpg

The Minisprint - chopped and sectioned!

3minis-vi.jpg

All three resin conversions together.

My next one will be the pickup. I have all of Guido's conversions and hope to finish them all, too! After this is the panel, the Riley Elf, and the smooth side wagon. I didn't get the Clubman. It is too ugly for me!

Edited by Modelmartin

i am kicking myself daily for not buying more of his works before his accident. I picked up this broadspeed, a countryman or traveler, I forget which badge it is, a Porsche abarth and a couple others that I forget at the moment. I wish I had bought one of each he made but unfortunately I wasn't made of money (that part hasn't changed btw) and communication by written letter was kinda tedious.

thanks for those pics martin, coincidence wasn't it!

Hi there, jbwelda,

I have been following this thread and am really enjoyingthe process you are going through. For my money, I would definitely go with the removable valve cover option. I had something similar happen recently when I scratchbuilt a late model dirt track car and when everything finally went together, the aircleaner hole in the hood was about 3/8 forward of the carb. I just leave the aircleaner perched in the hood hole and when I need to display it with the hood off the aircleaner goes back on the carb. I am finding that as my models get increasingly complex then these sort of issues become increasingly common!

By the way, would you be the kind gentleman who once sent a Scalextric1/32 Mini clubman body to a guy in Australia? - if so that guy is me. I did finish the project and always felt guilty that I had lost your contact details and couldn't send you a picture of it. Let me know if you are that person and I will send a pic.

Cheers

Alan

• 3 months later...

well this one has bubbled to the top of my workbench so time for a little update for any still interested!

body is getting trimmed with BMF, not going at all bad, but still have to do the thin chrome trim on lower body and along wheel well tops. have gotten the rear bumper and window trim all done and looks not too bad at all. paint still needs another rubbing and perhaps a final clear coat after the BMF...we shall see.

oa99.jpg

h1xs.jpg

my problem though is I keep finding "gotcha"s and here is an example: the inner door panels that are supposed to attach to the insides of the body before it is attached to the chassis/interior, have to clear the bar that holds the front of the seats up off the floor. that's because the door panels have already been sectioned to allow the sectioned body to fit down on the chassis with them in place. normally the bulged out part of the door panel are above that bar, as you can see here in out-of-box vs. sectioned and notched panels:

mn8g.jpg

so heres the problem in a picture says a thousand words:

k98r.jpg

and heres a solution. you can't see any of this with the body on so little nicks and scratches don't really matter:

522y.jpg

Those were my models at Toledo! Guido is in Capetown, South Africa and is completely out of model cars at this point. Here are some pics of my built models anyway

2minis3-vi.jpg

Broadspeed and the Countryman wagon.

sprint1-vi.jpg

The Minisprint - chopped and sectioned!

3minis-vi.jpg

All three resin conversions together.

My next one will be the pickup. I have all of Guido's conversions and hope to finish them all, too! After this is the panel, the Riley Elf, and the smooth side wagon. I didn't get the Clubman. It is too ugly for me!

These look amazing , I'm only just discovering the scalekraft mini's since I've been on this board and would love to get a hold of some if anyone knows of any available .

The Cooper S Broadspeed Mini with stage 3 conversion was sold with a guaranteed top speed of 120 mph, and road testers got slightly more than that out of it! A normal shape Cooper S with the same stage 3 conversion would reach 113 - so the fastback gave quite a few extra mph! Good model!

>I'm only just discovering the scalekraft mini's since I've been on this board and would love to get a hold of some if anyone knows of any

>available .

pretty much unobtainium at this point though they do conceivably come up on ebay from time to time. ive been watching for a few months now and nothing has appeared.

I do have a countryman that I could part with so if you're interested PM me and maybe we can work something out, a trade might work better than other. I have a monte carlo rally donor kit and some extra resin parts to make it a rally wagon and might want it all to stay together...

jb

• 5 weeks later...

heres a quick update: foiled the body, installed the glass (thanks to modelmartin for the front and rear windscreens!), and trial fitted the body to chassis. were a few glitches but its looking pretty good now...next is putting the body trim on, grille, door handles, etc and then hopefully will be calling it done (probably months truth be told). also fabbing up some taillights, I don't really think I will go with the prototypical woolsley (didn't you say it was mike?)...I think instead I will make up some circular ones from polished aluminum tubing and make some resin red lenses. nothing too complicated but will look ok on that big flat rear panel back there, along with a two-pipe exhaust system with appropriately over-sized tubing!

j0si.jpg

nrob.jpg

color doesn't really look like these photos much, the second one is much closer to real shade, but darker and deeper...Tamiya mica red over silver, with clear red overcoat.

thanks for looking!

jb