Model Cars Magazine Forum

The scratchbuilding is looking good so far. I'm just curious as to why you decided to go with an IFS? In the 1:1 world this would be seen as counter-intuitive, especially since you're making a portal axle for the rear.

Yeah I thought of that. It does seem kind of strange to do a portal axle and then IFS. I figured for a trail rig, IFS for the front would be good. I was looking at Baja rigs and a lot of them have IFS, and I thought that independent suspensions were better for trailblazing while solid axles were more for extreme offroading and rock-crawling. I would be interested in hearing more thoughts on this. Should I make it a solid axle? Your input is very much appreciated.

STewart

Baja trucks have IFS since they do a lot of high speed dune runs where they will need to soak up large bumps and ruts, plus they are only RWD. For the most part though, people swap in solid axles since they allow for more flex, simpler operation, and less chance for breakage. When I think of trail rig, I think of driving down dirt roads or rutted trails in the woods. These roads don't really favor one suspension type over the other, so it's a draw. Portal axles are used when you want the benefits of a solid axle, but would like more ground clearance, which is generally for more extreme conditions. Personally, I think you should stick with standard solid axles front and rear, and mount the springs over the axles for a bit of lift. If you want more lift, you can heat up the springs slightly and re-arch them.

Thanks for the input Jordan. I guess since I already have this one mostly done, I will stick with what I've got. The portal axle does seem a bit extreme but I wanted to try making one because I want to use them on upcoming builds. Also, I know that old-school leaf springs work well but I like the 4-link suspensions better. I guess its probably because Iike building them.

More pictures of this build tonight.

STewart

• 4 months later...

Ok, it's been awhile. I have been really busy this summer with work, as in 65 hours or so a week, so I haven't had time at the bench :( . However, since school started, I have a more relaxed schedule so I picked up this jeep again. It is almost complete. Just needs some final assembly and paint and it will be done. I have the chassis all setup and the engine mostly done. Still have to hook up brake lines and a few other odds and ends.

SAM_0453.jpg

SAM_0452.jpg

SAM_0451.jpg

SAM_0450.jpg