Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your opinion? Should it be built?

I personally would be a buyer. I have owned two El Caminos in the past. A new '67 396/360 h.p. 4-speed. It even had to work for a living. At one time I had 4 - 55 gal. drums of anti freeze and several cases of one quart cans in the bed. Just put those air shocks up to 70 lbs. and that thing would stay level with no problem. Drove it over 100,ooo miles and sold it for half of what I paid for it new. Years later I picked up a well used '66 El Camino 283/225 h.p. with a P.G. No power house but it would keep up with traffic. Fast forward to just before G.M. tanked and they were talking about bringing the Holden Ute as a Pontiac to the U.S. , I was ready to trade my '05 GTO for a new what ever they were going to call it. Then we all know what happened to G.M. and our nations economy. I would very much like to be able to buy an El Camino.

The recent trucks have bigger cabs than beds. :rolleyes:

Well, you know, not a lot of new trucks around here actually get used as trucks. They're fashion statements, or references about the driver's manliness, or corporate tax-writeoffs. It's mostly the second or third owners who actually use the things for...work...and the manufacturers don't give a rat's rear for the needs of the used-vehicle market.

You really gonna put a bunch of greasy, sweaty, smelly guys in the leather seats in your shiny new power-everything pickup, and take a chance on scratching the bedliner by actually carrying something heavy? ;)

It isn't bad looking, but isn't at all practical.

I have no use for all these not a real trucks that come along every few years (Avalanche, Explorer Spot Trac etc). At least with the old Utes based on larger cars you could marginally haul some 2x4s, a sofa or sleep in the back. A 4 foot bed is basically useless.

A Camaro Wagon though...

Still wouldn't buy one, but it would be a neat car for a road trip, sporty performance and room for some luggage, they could call it a Nomad for retro appeal.

Edited by Aaronw

Well, you know, not a lot of new trucks around here actually get used as trucks. They're fashion statements, or references about the driver's manliness, or corporate tax-writeoffs.

Yep, sad, innit? There was a Chevy commercial a while ago pitching trucks by showing women who said a man was more attractive in front of a truck than a sedan. American Ideals at work.

I had an '87 El Camino for a couple of years and rather liked it. Nice car interior for dates, car handling, low...like a car...big enough bed to actually haul something bulky...pretty useful vehicle if you only have one and sometimes need a truck, but don't want to drive one every day.

And I'd buy another OLD one before I'd buy a new bells-and-electronic-whistles laden, over-complicated and heavy new one.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If they stretched it 12 to 18 inches and put the V6 in them for an engine they would sell. People are not going to buy them for the same price as a high optioned Camaro.

I agree with what Tom and others have said and I do not think GM is in a good position to build a money loser right now.

Where? Never seen one, but I like it.

South Africa. Holden design, sold in SA and the Mid Eastern countries (LHD). Chevy has great name recognition in these parts! The Holden being sold in the USA as the Chevy Caprice police car had been sold as same in the Mid East prior to being sold here. Watch film of Saudi Arabia, Dubai and Iraq on the news... you will spot one before long.

The Holden Ute was announced to be coming as the Pontiac G8 sport truck back in '08ish but they cancelled it...was at a few auto shows then. Something like a modern El Camino would be of such limited demand and sales that they probably can't build a business case for it.

You are right Rob, that would have been the last hurrah for Pontiac and got lost in the death throes! A shame they didn't go for it as a Chevy El Camino, since it was sold with that name plate on it in South Africa and the Mid East. GM wasn't in any position to finance that kind of program back then, it wouldn't have been a money maker, they would've had to use it as a corporate image car.

I had an '87 El Camino for a couple of years and rather liked it. Nice car interior for dates, car handling, low...like a car...big enough bed to actually haul something bulky...pretty useful vehicle if you only have one and sometimes need a truck, but don't want to drive one every day.

And I'd buy another OLD one before I'd buy a new bells-and-electronic-whistles laden, over-complicated and heavy new one.

I loved my 79 for the same reasons, Bill. Even more so when the engine blew and my mechanic "upgraded" me from the 305 2bbl to a 350 4 bbl crate motor.

Honestly? I like the looks of it.

If they used the bed dimension of the last generation El Cam (which wasn't all that much bigger than the present Camaro,) as the target, it would actually work pretty well.

I wouldn't refuse one. If I had the money, I would've bought an SS-R, too. I always thought those were neat.

Charlie Larkin

Chevrolet-Lumina-SS-Ute-South-Africa-1.j

This may not be a current model, but it was produced!

Every tradie who does not want Japanese have got one of these ute's, there are thousands of them here is Aus, it is the Holden Commodore Ute, been in production for 20+ years.