Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did you build models that looked like these as a kid..?

I can honestly say no. I didn't much care for decals , louvers or fender skirts . I do admit to Brush painting until 1963 when I got brave and tried a can of Light Blue Spray on AMT's 1963 Ford F-100. it didn't shine as the paint was too thick. Still, I got better as time went on as I was determined to do as well as the older crowd .

I've always wanted to try that, because I never did it as a kid. Buy some cheap reissue of a '50's-era 3-in-1 and use every single custom part on it just because I can. And maybe after that, I could partake in another old modeler's tradition I skipped out on as a kid... blowing it up with firecrackers. :)

I always had better taste than that. I didn't find it a requirement to use every part in the box on a kit ... my parts box(s) were full. Those are just bad builds by people that had no taste or knowledge about 1:1 cars. Since I keep seeing these I just wonder who ever built them .. even at a young age.

Edited by Foxer

That pink hardtop is still available? Don't know why the the seller doesn't list it with an opening bid of $20 and let the bidders decide.

Never exactly built a car like that, although I will admit to building a '65 Chevelle AWB and using the shock absorbers as grille decorations (my first build and I was seven, OK? :rolleyes: )

I was just looking at a '62 Chrysler 300 on ebay a few minutes ago. Whoever built it had glued telephones to the doors as door handles. :lol:

Steve

Two ringy-dingies? The valve covers are also notable. Along with the radiator. Good windshield frame and top boot, though.

16826444720_d0b83bc13b_c.jpg

Edited by ChrisBcritter

You bet. They put all those parts and decals in there for a reason. :P

At some point I had a friend that pointed that out to me. " You know, you build nice models. Why do you trash 'em up with all those decals." at that point I moved forward in my building skills. :D

I built my share of use-every-part-and-decal-in-the-box gluebombs, and it was a source of continuing frustration to me that my little uncoordinated hands couldn't turn my visions into reality. Somewhere along the way, I also began to grasp the idea that sometimes, "less-is-more". B)