Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Corvette

Greg Pugh

Then, I did some work to the ATROCIOUS fit of the hood. I had to add some .020" sheet styrene to raise the hood to level with the fenders but I've still got another .010" to go! In addition to that, I had to add a .020" strip to the front of the hood opening to get that closer. We're still not quite done but it's looking much better.

image1-vi.jpg

image2-vi.jpg

I was able to spend just a short amount of time at the bench today. I decided to start taking some steps towards figuring out what to do with the headlights. I figured I'd get the headlight buckets to fit into their holes first. That alone almost took me an hour! What a mess these were!! Still not sure what I'm doing on the headlights past what I got accomplished today. I am hoping to have a fruitful day tomorrow and much progress.

image-vi.jpg

Well, another project that's ahead in the que of this one and is nearing completion sponged up 90% of my time today. I did however, manage to bust out my airbrush and get the engine painted. Nothing says "all business" to me like Flat Black and since this wicked little 6 is "all business", Flat Black it is!

image2-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Now that the Thunderbird is done, I can get crankin' on the Vette again! After going with the different grille setup, I needed to clean up the area behind it a bit.

Here's a "before" shot

image-vi.jpg

The two upright bars were how the original grille mounted in the opening. Didn't need that anymore. :) The holes towards the outside are used to mount the radiator so I kept those but I wanted to open it up a bit.

This is what I ended up with

vette001-vi.jpg

And with the grille in

vette002-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I thought I'd take a break from the bodywork (that's not going so great--lol) and tackle something else. I decided to make my muffler for the car. I got some of this solid plastic rectangular rod from somewhere a few years back and it just so happened to be the right general shape I was looking for so I got started

vette004-vi.jpg

I cut it to the length I wanted and then drilled two holes in it. These two holes will be for the outlet side of the muffler and where the two exits in the above picture will fit into

vette005-vi.jpg

I then added some .040 styrene to my muffler to add some thickness and also to give the exits something to bottom out to when they're installed. I used a second piece of .040 styrene and drilled four holes into that piece. This will be the inlet side. Even though the engine has six cylinders, it has four exhaust outlets. So the header that I will be building from solder will then tie directly into this muffler.

vette006-vi.jpg

All glued together and primered

vette007-vi.jpg

I rounded the corners so it wasn't so blocky and then painted it silver

vette008-vi.jpg

vette009-vi.jpg