Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Ford Galaxie Sunliner

smellyfatdude

Now that I've finished (luv that word!) my ' 70 Rebel, this will be next. Got this painted and cleared last week, and depending on what source you look at the Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue might be fairly close to Ford's Aquamarine of that year. The chassis has all that nifty promo style engraving about the car's features, and just like the ' 62 Galaxie I did last year, I'm going to leave it right there. I'll do the frame rails with semi-gloss black. The chrome is a lot fresher in the ' 61 hardtop re-issue that I'll be robbing some parts from, but I might just go ahead and strip the kit bumpers, clean up the seams and re-do them with Alclad. I foiled the script on the trunk, prior to laying the paint on, then cleaned it off with some thinner.

This will be Galaxie # 4 in my collection. B)

paint003m_zps578ff7af.jpg

chassis004m_zps682264eb.jpg

chassis002m_zps20fa791b.jpg

Love the '61s! my favorite body style from that era! Your color choice is relatively close to "Aquamarine". Just a little darker. I built a '60 Ford in Aquamarine a couple of years ago. As well as a '61 Sunliner. Did mine in "Desert Gold". I'll be interested to see how it comes out! Steve

Thank you, Curt. I've got the chassis prettied up, as well. Just have to add some aluminum bmf to the mufflers. The can sans label is some leftover Boyd's Pacific Blue. Feels like just enough to do the interior, so I'll do it up with that and white. ;)

frame002_zps37a21389.jpg

Edited by smellyfatdude

Body is looking epic man.

Great paint work.

Nice BMF work also.

Although nothing personal just a tip, but I would have black washed the panel lines prior to painting, because they almost look too apparent now just MHO.

But like I said nothing personal!! They do look good!!!

Chassis is looking nice as well, and great attention to detail.

Byron, I've often wondered the same thing. It's odd how a person can look at reference photos of something they build, and see such a marked difference between models of the same vehicle. On some 1:1 cars the panel lines are barely visible, on others they are quite prominent. The hardtop above looks like kind of a beater, that probably needs the doors aligned. But the ragtop looks pretty cherry, and one can see the panel lines distinctly. I guess it's a matter of preference, and I find that most of the time it's not what people notice and focus on. Most likely, a little less scribing beforehand would make them appear a bit lighter.

compare_zps0a9ec232.jpg

Just a warning DW. At some point when you've finished your build, people will critique your decision to use black for the panel lines. I've used black in the past also but have switched to using a darker shade of the body color, especially on a light colored body. Depending on the color, the black can look very stark & can immediately draw your eye to it. Steve

That's okay, Steve. That's to be expected, and is perfectly fine to me. Critiques and opinions are the whole reason behind sharing our "little toy cars". When it's something like detailing, where it looks right to one person and out of place to another, it's not as though any comments to the negative are the same as someone saying, "That's not right" or "that's not correct for that model". That might not be how they would build it, but I think it's understood that the work we post and share has to look right to us, since it's our shelf that it's going to reside on. I enjoy hearing anyone's opinion, simply 'cause I wouldn't know a lot of the stuff I know about this hobby, if it weren't for people sharing theirs.

You can't see much here, but the tub and dash have been sprayed with Krylon satin white. When it's dry in a bit, I'm going to shoot the Pacific Blue on the dash. I just hope that's what it is. It could be the leftover Tropical Turquoise, that was also missing the label.

Gee, I love surprises! :lol:

satin002m_zps45bbb7c0.jpg

Thanks, Don. I like 'em too, that's why I keep building 'em! :lol:

Here's the kit bumpers, devoid of chrome. It's funny how some good, strong oven cleaner turns that ancient plating in to an orange mush. I'm going to clean these up, remove the flash and seams as well as the molded in year, and re-do them with Alclad. I wonder how many kids tried butting them on upside down, since they say "1961" either way. :huh:

stripped001m_zps77c048f1.jpg

And here's the dash and boot painted. The Pacific Blue over white is just ever so slightly lighter than the Coral Blue on the body. Right on, that's the optical delusion I was hoping for. Much tedious masking lies ahead on the interior, but I have a feeling once it's done it'll have been worth the effort. Can smelly say, "Wow, I really picked great colors this time!"? Yes, smelly can!

firstmock005m_zpsfea2e4fc.jpg

firstmock001m_zps578e094a.jpg

Edited by smellyfatdude