Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Charger Daytona - 426 Hemi, Torqueflite 727 Automatic, T5 Fire Bronze

Mr. Moparman

I've put the suspension together today and got it mounted on the chassis. I'm gonna have to come up with something to extend the kit exhaust to the HEMI headers.

IMG_0056_zpsff63c550.jpg

I also mounted the radiator and horns to the core support, the painted the fan shroud flat black and mounted it to the radiator.

IMG_0057_zps25e2d45c.jpg

I sprayed a light coat of body color paint over the photo-etch grille, bent it with a straight-edge, and cemented it on the car with Formula 500 Canopy Glue.

IMG_0058_zps9a79d7ff.jpg

The completed steel wheels.

IMG_0059_zps10825596.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Mr. Moparman

Great work so far with the Charger Daytona. I like seeing these Factory Stock builds, too, especially when they are done as cleanly as this one. I like the color a lot and your paint job turned out very good as well. Sharp BMF work and nice engine detailing make this one really stand out!

Two minor things that I'd do differently that would make this model even better. Removing those Copyright and Manufacturer texts from the chassis, as real cars never had those. And add a little black wash to those holes on steel wheels. It will make them look much better. ;)

But as I said, those are very small things and this build is looking very good already. Keep it coming.

Great work so far with the Charger Daytona. I like seeing these Factory Stock builds, too, especially when they are done as cleanly as this one. I like the color a lot and your paint job turned out very good as well. Sharp BMF work and nice engine detailing make this one really stand out!

Two minor things that I'd do differently that would make this model even better. Removing those Copyright and Manufacturer texts from the chassis, as real cars never had those. And add a little black wash to those holes on steel wheels. It will make them look much better. ;)

But as I said, those are very small things and this build is looking very good already. Keep it coming.

Thanks! I have time to kill while waiting on my transmission, so I may go back and remove the text from the fuel tank and add some black wash to the wheels. I also got to add some black wash to the vent below the windshield so I will be killing two birds with one stone.

Looks great. Did you test fit your engine with the wired distributor? I doubt the hood will shut with it sticking up that high

No I didn't, and so I went and tried to test fit it today. Guess what? The hood will not close because of the distributer, but the engine in the Dart kit is a RACING HEMI, and will not even fit in the engine bay!. Even if it would fit in the engine bay, the bottom of the racing oil pan they give you in the Dart kit scrapes the K-Member and pushes against the tie rod. Basically, this engine is useless in this car. I wouldn't have had this problem if I would have sourced out the HEMI in the Revell '68 Charger kit. Going to make a post in Wanted! and see what I find.... :angry:

The race hemi is no different in size than the regular 426. In a pinch swap the oil pan off your 440 and see how that fits. I just don't think you have the distributor in quite the right place

I have came to the conclusion that the problem was a combination of both my distributor and me placing my fashioned motor mounts in the wrong spot. I already have disassembled my HEMI as I have a new one coming that I know will fit into the Daytona's chassis without issue. (Gotta love Revell for letting the '67/'68/'69 Charger kits share the exact same chassis and motor mounts.) All I'll have to do is assemble the new block, paint it HEMI Orange, and reattach the distributor/valve covers, (I removed it and the valve covers as one piece to not mess up the wiring) and the headers and fan/alternator/PS Pump assembly.

Then what I would do is trim the distributor shaft some to drop it down some. In 1:1 the top of distributor with plug wires attached is flush with the top corner of pass side valve cover. I have done this swap myself and I also know that for the street hemi air cleaner to work you will need to trim the carbs to get the hood to close

So now it's just a matter of waiting for my new HEMI and transmission to show up, so I went back and added a black wash to the wheels and the vent just below the windshield to darken them up some. I'd say the result was worth it!

IMG_0066_zps78dda6fb.jpg

IMG_0068_zpse25b4f6b.jpg

I also went back and removed the copyright information from the fuel tank, but for some odd reason I didn't take a picture of that.

Enjoy!

No pics, but I did sand down the tread on the tires to make it look like it had been driven a little bit, but me and me stupid self, I sanded two tires more than I should have. Oh well, with a 426 HEMI in the car, who can't resist to do a few burnouts? ;) If I had bought this car in 1969, I probably would have had the factory rubber burnt up before I left the dealer! :P

Ok! So my new HEMI came in the mail today, along with it's Torqueflite 727 transmission. I got the block put together, painted, and I painted and mounted the transmission to the HEMI. I then transferred the belt and pulley assembly, and distributor and valve cover assembly to the new HEMI. I put the engine in the car, stuck the air cleaner on, and it fits! The hood closes properly! I still have to attach the fan, exhaust manifolds and the carburetors/air cleaner to the engine, then it will be finished.

IMG_0073_zps3b9de379.jpg

I added simulated factory markings to the rear axle and differential. and added simulated heat stains to the exhaust system.

IMG_0071_zps24d26a83.jpg

Enjoy!

Nice build! Now will someone tell me what the deal is with dog dish hubcaps with standard wheels? Especially on these cars, I mean, I get the sleeper type of car, but for this? It just makes no sense to me. The pointed front end and the huge wing don't just give it away, it screams it from a mile away!

There were very nice rally wheels and Magnum 500's that weren't that expesive or heavy. So unless the standard rims were like at least 8 inches wide with a deep dish, I can't see why somebody would order up a car such as this or a Hemi Cuda or a Road Runner this way. I sure hope these rims weren't available on the GTX. Sorry, I never had standard rims on any of my cars. I just don't get it!

Now, I'm not questioning your taste, it was fashion at the time to have dog dish caps, I'm just asking why people liked them? :huh: