Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have decided that I am going to start work on the new Tamiya 1/6 scale Fat Boy Lo. This kit looks to be really nice with not many issues, The biggest disappointment is with the brakes and exhaust, this is why I got the detail set which has some really nice replacements for the stock parts. Another disappointment is while the chrome platting looks really good each piece has a flaw somewhere that I just will not be able to deal with for what I am expecting to get out of this build. This means I will have to strip each piece and redo with alclad. I will be finishing this kit with Scale Finishes paints in Harley Hot White Denim. Anyways, fair warning I do not work fast and am currently taking Masters classes so updates might be slow and far in between.

20140510_221320.jpg

Ya the Tamiya kit I'm working on had beautiful satin chrome (aluminium)

Pro link, forks, etc. with flash lines and sink marks where they would be Very visible

So yep strip and alcad

Good luck with yours

I love that FatBoy look

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten off to a slower start than I expected, but that is ok.

First off Since the satin chrome will have to be stripped off most of the parts I have started the process of painting spoons with various shades of alclad to see which one most closely resembles the factory color.

20140519_214458.jpg

I'm not one for following the directions in order, I like to get all of the major body components out of kits and assemble them as far as I can prior to paint to make final assembly easier, so I cut the fenders off the sprue as well as the tank pieces. I assembled the tank after after a rough cleaning which the fenders got as well, I will be going back later to smooth out the sanding scratches prior to primer

20140519_214409.jpg

Next I Assembled the frame with all the pieces that will be painted the same color, following that I started on the engine. I only completed the first couple steps of engine assembly as there are several and each fin of the cylinder is an individual piece that will be painted chrome followed by black to get the right effect, I expect the engine to take some time.

20140519_214435.jpg

And of course I had to put it together for a quick mock up.

20140519_214339.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have decided that I am going to start work on the new Tamiya 1/6 scale Fat Boy Lo. This kit looks to be really nice with not many issues, The biggest disappointment is with the brakes and exhaust, this is why I got the detail set which has some really nice replacements for the stock parts. Another disappointment is while the chrome platting looks really good each piece has a flaw somewhere that I just will not be able to deal with for what I am expecting to get out of this build. This means I will have to strip each piece and redo with alclad. I will be finishing this kit with Scale Finishes paints in Harley Hot White Denim. Anyways, fair warning I do not work fast and am currently taking Masters classes so updates might be slow and far in between.

20140510_221320.jpg

I have this kit as well and will most likely paint in a copper tone metal flake. Really have not given the detail up accessories much thought. Like you, I do not work fast, and have about 100 kits that need to be built ..... currently trying to finish a Rupp snowmobile dragster.