Model Cars Magazine Forum

1903 Model A rebuild

Harry P.

This is a model of the very first car sold by the newly-formed Ford Company in 1903. I got this one on ebay for $35. Franklin Mint, 1/16 scale. Why so cheap? Because it was a wreck! It had apparently taken a fall... the front axle was broken, the whole front end steering system and wheels were all mangled up and hanging by one last connection point... headlights broken off, the whole thing covered with dust and dirt and nicotine. I had to soak the "white" tires in detergent... they were actually a brownish yellow from being exposed to years of cigarette smoke. All the "brass" parts had a nicotine film on them that I was able to scrub off with dishwashing detergent and a toothbrush. I had to replace the floor boards, the originals were all curled up and had separated from the floors. I took apart the radiator and painted the parts semigloss black and reassembled (it had been "brass" plated). Basically I took the model completely apart (even removed the upholstery from the seats), cleaned everything, fixed all broken pieces, rebuilt the front axle/steering system, and reassembled.

Unfortunately, one of the headlights and the brass rail trim around the rear seats is missing... so until I can find a pair of matching headlights, this will be a "cyclops" car! And I'll have to create the missing trim from brass wire, but have no idea how I will recreate the tiny mounting hardware (like you see on the trim on the front seat).

All in all, not bad for $35.

model-a-1_zpsc25f06a3.jpg

model-a-5_zps97b69b01.jpg

The side baskets have incredible woven detail, but they were painted a pale tan that didn't show the engraved detail. I added a wash of wood stain to them... that really made the "woven" detail pop. I also added the straps on the baskets...

model-a-2_zpsc0dd662d.jpg

model-a-4_zps6764f86f.jpg

model-a-3_zpsf23aa98d.jpg

Terrific save. Definitely looks better than the original.

A little background on the real car...

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2009/11/02/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1903-ford-model-a-and-1903-stevens-duryea-l/

http://blog.caranddriver.com/worlds-oldest-surviving-production-ford-comes-home-bill-fords-new-1903-model-a/

The literature that accompanies the model mentions that the rear door was designed to accommodate long, flowing skirts of the era. PS: The model's brass is 24K gold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Franklin-Mint-1903-FORD-Model-A-Red-24k-gold-acc-real-leather-/400661032992

Edited by sjordan2