Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Ford Custom 2'n1

I checked at my local HL a few days ago. They've got a label on the shelf for it, but no kit. They did offer to order a couple for me, which they've done, but they're not in the warehouse yet. They said they'll keep ordering them 'til they get them in. They even made a note on the special order tag that I would use a 40% off coupon for the purchase of each of them. Now, I've just gotta wait! :(

Wow. I paid $27 out the door....

Tell me about it. They opened up in a large strip mall with what must be a huge rent payment because every kit is 10 to 25% higher than retail. The Moebius Tim Flock Chrysler kit was 44.95 when it came out. I only go there to by Model Car magazine and very little else.

I asked the local HTU, and they had two on order for 33.95 each. That's way to rich for my tastes.

If hobby shops are going to pull this kind of stuff, is it any surprise people are going to mail order? I paid $19.25 for mine, granted, $7.97 shipping brings it to 27 bucks, but if ordering more than one kit, still saves a bit. Believe me, I am for supporting the local hobby shop, but if they are stiffing like that, not to mention not even carrying a released kit, I think they are stabbing themselves in the foot so to speak.

I was excited when they opened, but after checking out their prices my enthusiasm died. I buy my kits from swap meets, a few collection buyers, and Hobby Lobby. The LHS's around here charge way too much compared to other sources for the exact same thing. There is one local hobby shop that is reasonable, but he doesn't carry many kits. I have more in progress build than kits that he has in his shop. I do buy almost all my model supplies from that hobby store though.

I was excited when they opened, but after checking out their prices my enthusiasm died. I buy my kits from swap meets, a few collection buyers, and Hobby Lobby. The LHS's around here charge way too much compared to other sources for the exact same thing. There is one local hobby shop that is reasonable, but he doesn't carry many kits. I have more in progress build than kits that he has in his shop. I do buy almost all my model supplies from that hobby store though.

Corey...that's a shame. Years ago there was a terrific Riders Hobby Shop on the south side of Kazoo.....do you ever go up to the Riders that is still on 28th St SE in GR? TIM

Corey...that's a shame. Years ago there was a terrific Riders Hobby Shop on the south side of Kazoo.....do you ever go up to the Riders that is still on 28th St SE in GR? TIM

As a kid I used to ride my bike to the riders on Kilgore and Westnedge. I loved that place, now its a Christian bookstore. I have been to the riders in GR, it's a great hobby shop. Kalamazoo has two actual hobby shops left, not counting HTU and Hobby Lobby.

Edited by 2000-cvpi

As a kid I used to ride my bike to the riders on Kilgore and Westnedge. I loved that place, now its a Christian bookstore. I have been to the riders in GR, it's a great hobby shop. Kalamazoo has two actual hobby shops left, not counting HTU and Hobby Lobby.

Used to be a bunch of Riders Hobby Shops in Michigan, apparently. When I lived in Ann Arbor in the mid '90s I went to the Riders downtown and the one in Ypsilanti pretty often.

Used to be a bunch of Riders Hobby Shops in Michigan, apparently. When I lived in Ann Arbor in the mid '90s I went to the Riders downtown and the one in Ypsilanti pretty often.

The Rider's on Liberty Street in downtown Ann Arbor was the original store in the chain. Both Chuck Helppie and I knew the co-owners very well - we ran model contests for them for several years after they bought it out in the early 1970's from the original Mrs. Rider. From what I understand, the two remaining stores are in Flint (West on Corunna road off I75) and the Grand Rapids store. Both are doing well. TIM \\\\\\\\\\\\\

Edited by tim boyd

I just got mine today,I was a bit disappointed that all the trees were just thrown into one bag(except for the chrome parts of course) and that the super charger(which seems to be incomplete) is nowhere in the instructions,not even in the parts list...

the new olds was bagged much better,but I'm still glad to finally get the kit,looking forward to building some nascar stuff,including one of the ragtop nascar cars...

I just got mine today,I was a bit disappointed that all the trees were just thrown into one bag(except for the chrome parts of course) and that the super charger(which seems to be incomplete) is nowhere in the instructions,not even in the parts list...

It was probably easier to fit it in among the other parts now (even though it can't be used yet), and probably cheaper than adding it later when a supercharged version can be built from the kit's parts. Think of it as styrene foreshadowing. ^_^

There will be a future NASCAR release that will have the full supercharger parts. Only the supercharger parts located on the chrome tree are in this version. The others will be on a new sprue. I just wish that there was a stock E-Code (dual carb) air cleaner in this version.

I like the AMT carb set up better but overall still happy about the kit!

Doesn't the AMT 57 ford fairlane have the supercharger parts? I thought i saw something in the instructions about one.

Yes it does.

Doesn't the AMT 57 ford fairlane have the supercharger parts? I thought i saw something in the instructions about one.

Yes, however, it is not 100% prototypically correct. Some of the plumbing is incorrect, and the air cleaner box is incorrect. I will post a pic of the correct item, and the kit parts tomorrow morning, or Sunday morning, depending on whether I work or not tomorrow.

Funky carb setup, but the kit has distinct molded fuel lines for whichever you choose. Overall one of the best y-blocks/312s ever in scale.

Haphazard bagging, but the body shell mold seems to have had an extra polishing on this one, for whatever reason. Probably luck of the draw for warps, but my floorpan, chassis, and interior mock-up snicked right into the body without any adjustment.

And the body shell in this one is the single 2012 Revell kit that comes closest to absolutely nailing the 1:1 in every detail and proportion. The door/window frame deviations and rear quarter crease eccentricities are so slight they're barely worth mentioning, and just about everything else looks like it's down cold.

Absolutely Revell's best this year, imho, and by a fair margin.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I don't have this kit yet, but I've seen one a friend bought, and I'll say this. It only took 50 years, but the Y-Block V8 engines in the AMT '56 and '57 kits are no longer king of that genre in 1:25. I know there's always seemingly an issue or two with Revell's body proportions or why they designed this or that the way they did, but if the engine builds up and responds to detail as well as their other recent kits, I'll be buying a few more of these just for that engine. And I'm not even going to get into the obvious improvement in underhood/chassis detail compared to other late '50's Ford kits...