Model Cars Magazine Forum

END OF THE YEAR ROUND UP (Learned Anything New?)

All right, folks, as time keeps on speeding down the track, and we are quickly entering the middle of November, I'd like to hear from as many of you as possible about things you've tried at the bench this year (success & failure), and things you've learned.

You are welcome to wax poetic as much as possible.

Personally, this year I gave up on trying to experiment with dremel style polishing on plastic. It simply does not work, and I would never recommend it. It works like a charm on metal, but not on plastic, even at very low revolutions.

Also, remember that one of the real treats of this time of year is seeing a round up of all the models you've built for the year, so bring on your eye candy, just one picture of each model is fine.

If you feel like posting more, then you can do so in the Under Glass section for cars and trucks.

Happy 2012! What's left of it!

Cheers, DC

You use a dremel tool to polish out the paint? Kinda sorta like a buffer on a 1:1? I'd be afraid to try that. They sure are SHINY :) :) :) though.

I've learned (learning) to use 2 part clear urethane as the final part of painting my builds. Also learned to use a respirator when spraying the stuff. Other than that, I continue to learn from fellow modelers here on the forum and am always delighted to view the eye candy.

Dan, I would love to see a video of how you do it. The times I've done it, the heat generated burned down the primer, and then I stopped. Your results are fabulous. I'd love to see a picture of the tools you are using.

I have the Dremel Stylus too and I set it at the lowest speed, and I've been using these cotton wheels I got off the internet, and the polishing compound I use was Novus 2.

As I said, I tried it a few times and each time it ended up in disaster. Of course, I was only using scrap bodies.

Dan, yes, one was painted with enamel and cleared with enamel, which got damaged faster than the other which was painted with house of kolor and cleared with Dupont Spot clear.

Everything was given ample time to get cured.

Where did you get the cotton mops?

If you have not done a HOW-TO for the HOW-TO section, you should, your results are OUTSTANDING.

Ive learned so much this year that ive been on the forum i dnt know where to start. I finaly staryed weathering with rustall and im working on the sugaring technique. i fialy tried rusting the body with my dremel and rusting and weathering bumpers. I figured out blackwashing and is one of my favorite things to do now. I done quite a bit of wiring with plugs and switch pannels in my derby cars. I also statred scratch building parts for some builds and am getting better. Ive bought many tools to help me out and met many people. One of my biggest things ive learned is being patiant and letting things fully dry for a whyle before hurrying thru a build. My builds have gteatly improved in the last year thanks to the great people on the forum

Ive learned so much this year that ive been on the forum i dnt know where to start. I finaly staryed weathering with rustall and im working on the sugaring technique. i fialy tried rusting the body with my dremel and rusting and weathering bumpers. I figured out blackwashing and is one of my favorite things to do now. I done quite a bit of wiring with plugs and switch pannels in my derby cars. I also statred scratch building parts for some builds and am getting better. Ive bought many tools to help me out and met many people. One of my biggest things ive learned is being patiant and letting things fully dry for a whyle before hurrying thru a build. My builds have gteatly improved in the last year thanks to the great people on the forum

I learned to forget the haters and just build what I want, when I want, the way I want it.

Several of my recent builds were completely poopooed by a local club, yet a few placed in their classes yesterday in Phoenix.

Interestingly, I didn't build any of them to be a winner in any show, I just built them to the best of my ability as they are all, in their own way, subjects near and dear to me.

Oh and BTW Doc, my TZH pickup, previously referred to as "useless garbage" placed third. Go figure.

G

Edited by Agent G

I learned absolutely nothing this year. That`s what old age and 30 years of building will get you. :D :D

Seriously though, I was with you Dr. C...I all but gave up on dremel polishing, as I always thought it spun way to fast to polish out a paint finish. Given the amount of time it takes me to polish a finish, I am going to have to look into it again.

I finished a total of 3 builds this year (woohoo). Hopefully I`ll be able to get more in next year.

alpha11_zpsccd5d55a.jpg

gtofinish1.jpg

finish1.jpg

Lesson learned 2012: Do not use teeth to remove stuck cap from super-glue :huh:

Hahahaha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I learned that one a while back too junkpile, when it came off finally; I squeezed the tube and shot glue on the corner of my eyelids and glued em together a little bit.

Corey