Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa Lamborghini Miura... what can brown do for you?

jaymcminn

I've had this one in my stash for a while... it's the Hasegawa Miura P400SV kit. I really wanted a period-correct look for the colors, but I wanted to avoid the usual colors you see these cars in. Eventually, I decided on a nice, rich, metallic... brown. It's actually Testors One-Coat Root Beer, and I think it fits the spirit of this car perfectly, especially with the gold rockers and wheels. At least two Miuras were produced in brown, although I don't think the Root Beer Brown is prototypically accurate at all.

First was to prep the body, which on this kit involves molding in the rocker scoops. I had to replace the leading edge of one of these fragile parts.

P1020219.jpg

The body was primed with Duplicolor primer then sealed with primer-sealer to keep the dreaded swirl marks at bay. The One-Coat brown was followed up with the One-Coat clear. The results were pretty dramatic...

P1020226.jpg

While the body cured, I started the rest of the build. For the interior, I went back and forth a lot- the interior is very visible in the Miura due to the large windows and exceptionally clear glass Hasegawa uses. I eventually decided to take inspiration from the custom interior on Frank Sinatra's Miura, which was cream boarskin with orange shag carpet. I toned down the carpet to a nice burnt orange mixed from three shades of Fuzzi-Fur and custom-mixed a light cream color to match. The carpet was applied by masking and spraying a matching base color, followed by spray adhesive and flocking applied through a sieve. The kit's metal transfers are a dream to use- better than Tamiya's! I really wanted to add seat belts, but I wanted this one to be box-stock. I'll probably do a Miura Spyder conversion at some point to even better show off the impressive interior.

P1020233.jpg

P1020230.jpg

The only drawback of this kit is that it's a curbside... that being said, it comes with very good engine and suspension detail. I detailed the components of the engine top plate with the kit decals...

P1020235.jpg

...And did a fair amount of detail painting on the kit suspension. The result looks pretty good.

P1020243.jpg

P1020245.jpg

Next, the wheels and rockers were airbrushed in Tamiya Gold Leaf and coated in Testors semi-gloss clear acrylic. Here's the body after polishing and foil...

P1020240.jpg

And here we are after everything's all buttoned up!

P1020246.jpg

P1020249.jpg

P1020252.jpg

A few more...

P1020254.jpg

P1020259.jpgP1020261.jpg

And a quiz for all you car guys out there: What do these three cars all have in common?

P1020266.jpg

Overall, I was very pleased with the Hasegawa Miura kit. I just don't get why they went through the trouble of tooling up 3/4 of an engine and then making a curbside kit. Whatever their reasons, you can't argue with the results... every build I've seen of this kit has been fantastic. The completed model sits just right and everything about this kit goes together beautifully. I'm a little ambivalent about the bass-boat flake on the Testors paint, but I think it works for the nature of this build and the groovy period colors. I'm definitely going to build the Jota variant of this kit, and might do one of the rare Miura Spyders as well. Anyway, thanks for looking!