Model Cars Magazine Forum

New C6 Vette finished

Lyle Willits

DSCN4889-vi.jpg

This is Anna Astadyfer's new Vette. Actually, it's a very low mileage '05 that was fully detailed for her.

DSCN4880-vi.jpg

It looks a lot like the Revell model kit Corvette painted in Duplicolor MetalSpecks orange, which looks real close to Daytona Sunburst. Anna didn't want aftermarket wheels. She wanted the original polished aluminum rims.

DSCN4886-vi.jpg

Engine is stock, right down to the coolant in the reservior and the oil dipstick.

DSCN4884-vi.jpg

DSCN4887-vi.jpg

The detail shop gave Anna a model kit, but everyone knows that girls don't build model cars!

Another question, Lyle ... did that MetalSpecks paint require any kind of a special base coat? Been wanting to try it.

I found that the metalspecks line works best with white primer... It really picks up whatever color is underneath.

Thanks guys.

The kit is excellent, in my opinion. Everything fits exactly as it should. I had no trouble with the hood at all. I glued the hinges to the bottom of the hood and let them dry thoroughly, then just held the hood flush, in it's down postion and trapped the hinges with the ,,,uh,,,,hinge holder thingie.

The Metalspecks paint was applied over Duplicolor Sandable Primer, which I use on EVERY model, regardless of what brand paint I'm using. On the "new" Revell plastic, I very lightly dust on the primer, several times, then lightly sand the body. I find no crazing after that.

This model then got a base coat of Duplicolor metallic silver, then the Metalspecks orange.

I actually bought this paint as a cool street rod color, but after testing it on a scap body, it looked very close to the Corvette color, although the specks are kind of overwhelming in direct sunlight.

Thanks again for the nice comments. Anna appreciates them too.