Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have a track in your town?

oldcars

hey louis when you build that track be sure to post here. i will come all the way out from cali just to race you!

oh and yeah fly etc cars are nice but theres nothing like building up vintage ones. and you soon get tired of the magnet business and want to build and race cars that require skill to drive...but i have to admit a fondness for occasionally throwing a mega magnet monster on the track and letting it go all out!

ps: when you build that track be sure to include lots of right *and* left turns, and some decreasing radius ones (using inside and outside curves)!

one love

jah bill

• 3 weeks later...
hey louis when you build that track be sure to post here. i will come all the way out from cali just to race you!

oh and yeah fly etc cars are nice but theres nothing like building up vintage ones. and you soon get tired of the magnet business and want to build and race cars that require skill to drive...but i have to admit a fondness for occasionally throwing a mega magnet monster on the track and letting it go all out!

ps: when you build that track be sure to include lots of right *and* left turns, and some decreasing radius ones (using inside and outside curves)!

one love

jah bill

Bill,

Funny you mention the magnet thing. I have never used a magnet car. I have to tell you though, I just LOVE those Fly Cars!!!! I don't even go to the website, the last time I played with that shopping cart, I was up to about 1300 bucks, and there were plenty of pages left!!!

I am looking forward to putting a track together. I miss this hobby a lot. It's just funny that I stopped building models and racing slots when I was 12 or 13, can't remember when exactly, now I am 48 and I can't wait to get a track! Oh well, I guess getting older is not such a bad thing. One good thing though, I now have the cash to drop on some really kewl stuff!!!!

He who dies with the MOST toys wins!

My chassis is totally different than that one, doesn't look anything like it, and I am 100% sure the chassis is from the Chap 2E. Did Cox make 2 different models of this car?

Yep, you're right.

That one on ebay is a mongrel, and it still fetched good money.

There were 2 chassis for the COX 2E, 1 in diecast magnesium;

2e-mag-2.jpg

and the Iso-fulcrum one in pressed aluminium. (unfortunately don't have pic at hand of the Iso)

:D

No commercial tracks in Eugene, OR- in past 10 years 4 have been started; 4 have failed and disappeared.

However for the dedicated model car racer Pelican Park Speedway ( www.pelicanparkspeedway.com )offers hobbyists an opportunity to build and race authentic appearing 1/24th scale cars.

PPS members have been racing every week without interruption since 1976

OverheadviewSW-NE.jpg

03NASCARpitsNtoS.jpg

03CourageAudiR8.jpg

• 3 months later...

Tha 1/24th-1/25th slot track at Phil's Hobby Shop closed last year. Phil (an independent owner) said it was a money drain on his business.

Last slot race winner I had was a modified AMT brass pan chassis (was tha '66 Ford Galaxie slotcar) w/ a '66 Olds Toronado lexan body ( wider wheel base on tha front and rear axles). Ran ball bearings on rear axle and both ends of my rewound and balanced can motor into brass bevel gears. Used to epoxy tha rubber tires to tha wheels then soak them in mineral spirits until they swelled up, then chucked them into a Dremel tool to cut and true them.

• 2 months later...
That's the fever alright! There is no cure except spending all you got on cars, controllers and faster motors....

We have two tracks within an hour away... no make that three... but nothing in town.

I have never left slot cars totally. Just put them away for a while when models and art, kids and life got in the way.

Yes, I have the fever. Had it since 1969 actually.

8)

Wonderful paint and chassis work Jairus :lol:

• 2 years later...

I've got a track in Costa Mesa, CA. It's for 1/32 Scalextric Digital racing. A lot of people call it "scale model racing" because realism is stressed over top speed. Typically the cars are accurately shaped and finely detailed. One of the great features of digital is it allows six cars to run on two lanes, with lane switching in designated areas. This means you can pass slower traffic or just choose which lane gives you the fastest racing line. A lot of cars come with lights so we do some night racing laps too. Most 1/32 cars are compatible if they are retrofitted with a "chip" from Scalextric. These are usually under $20 and shouldn't affect running on traditional analog tracks. My track is about 66 feet with eleven lane switchers and includes a pit lane. Scale Model Racing Magazine is a good source of info and you can find out a lot about the hobby on the internet. You can see pictures and get directions at http://www.nhdclub.com under "Slot Cars" heading. If you are in SoCal and want to try it out, just let me know.

post-4437-1242072219_thumb.jpg

Last year used to be 3 about a hour away. One is temporarily closed as the mall shut down. Another has just vanished without word? The last one still open I took the kids to and they had a blast running the cars off of the track! LOL. I have bought a Giant raceway and a drag strip in HO for the kids (and I) to run in our family room once it is done! Jody

• 2 months later...

fellas,

Down the street half mile away is the Race Place II THREE 8 lane tracks, 1/2 mile the other way race Place I at the Collingwood Auction, been there since 1966.

About three or four miles east is the new Slot Spot THREE 8 lane tracks AND a FULL SCALE Drag Strip.

A half an hour west, we have Dom's raceway an eight lane HILLCLIMB in a private residence cellar but a commercial track with regularly scheduled race as do the others.

And about 45 minute south we have Sonny's FAST LANE fast King with an oval as well as a Drag Strip ! The above tracks are located in New Jersey, as I said they ALL have regularly scheduled races.

There's a few more, but that's it for now

Edited by Pete L.

• 3 weeks later...

we just got a track about two months ago... place is great... I race the drag cars and we all use model bodies these days and it awesome... cars look great.... its great to be racing again... heres some pics

3675334669_27ee25f9d4_o.gif

201 Pine Street - Mt. Holly, NJ 08060 - Phone: 609-702-0146

1/24 scale 1/4 mile Dragstrip

3733673655_94d22b4535.jpg

3734472534_ae5f14e5ac.jpg

3734472010_5ca016cf19.jpg

3734472064_4a4c5d572d.jpg

other tracks... if thats your thing

3734471694_aa2cb8cfcd.jpg

3733672761_1d566c1f19.jpg

3734472850_733634c77a.jpg

3734472318_17bb2535a4.jpg

3734781309_fb6f35ffbc.jpg

• 1 year later...

not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but here in Lower Michigan there is one that I know of, it's right on the outskirts of Brooklyn on M-50 (coming from Napoleon). I think it just opened up recently too, it's a little building before you get to Brooklyn Ford (or after it if you're leaving town). Brooklyn is where Michigan International Speedway is, so if there was any races left this season (here in MI that is), you could kill several birds with one stone! Lots of flea markets and antique stores around here too :rolleyes: