Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP 1961 Dodge = Bare metal foil nightmare

gtx6970

While watching football yesterday I finally got the BMF and my tools out to get to work on this one,,, as I've been dreading it for some time.

With all the trim on this car it was not a simple task to do ,,,But at least now it's done .

This all started and I got the idea from another members build ( caine440) to do a 1961 Ramchargers car. I knew there were resin versions avail but i prefer to use stryene whenever I can if the price is close to each other.

Once I stumbed onto a tan with pea green interior 80's re-issue on ebay several months back . I got the idea in my head I couldn't get out even with several other projects in the works .

So here is where it's at as of this weekend, I've located the decals and with no issues it should be done by Christmas. Rolling stock will be the steel rims from the revell T-Bolt kit, with the correct 7" slicks from the parts box .

Comments 'good and bad' are always welcome.

1961Dodge.jpg

1961Dodge5.JPG

61ramchargers.JPG

Man oh man , that's sweet !

Great job on that trim . I'll bet that you were still doing it in your sleep last night !

Any plans to open its bonnet and add an engine ?

All the real thin strips along the body lines made BMF work very tedious and probably took me about 3 - 4 hours , I'm just glad it's done.

I thought about opening the hood to add in an engine , then adding the chassis from the newer 1958 Fury for better detail,,,,,,,,, But there just isn't enough hours in the day for me. I run my own business , and with a house, wife, 2 kids - model bench time is limited so I decided to leave it as a curbside. It's probably taken me 3 or 4 months so far just to get to this point.

I build for myself thus I don't need a full on detailed replica. Once it's done and on my shelf you can't see an engine anyway. Plus I have my doubts anyone but me , outside of here, along with my family and friends will ever see it anyway.

hey Bill..... remember when we had to PAINT all the trim........

great job. looks good.

Shhhhhhhh, B) to admit that it might show my age.

Thanks to all, I can't wait to get this one on the shelf , then move on to a 1962 Dodge project (not a Ramchargers either)

Where did you get the kit? Been looking for a 1961 Dart for years. That was the very first model I ever built, Mine was a AMT kit molded in a greenish color.

I found a Johan promo on ebay several months back . Best I can tell is it' is a re-issue that came out sometime in the 80's maybe ( not real sure on the date)

I've seem more since so they are not impossibile to find. Just a couple weeks ago there was a decent original issue kit builtup on Ebay as well.

Thanks for the info. I've never built a Johan kit, how does it compare to Revell as far as fit and quility? Whenever I saw a Johan kit I just skimed over it without paying very much attection to the kit. Oh! I forgot to mention, very nice work with the BMF. armata_PDT_37.gif

If you ever DO decide to do a full-detail version, the '61 is a unibody car, so the '58 full-frame chassis insn't right. The '64 Dodge 330 is close enough to work very well, however.

HMMMMM,

just did a test fit ,,,Not bad .

. I might use this, if for nothing else but to get a better sance . But with the car already painted and cleared I will not be attempting to open the hood now.

Thanks for the info. I've never built a Johan kit, how does it compare to Revell as far as fit and quility? Whenever I saw a Johan kit I just skimed over it without paying very much attection to the kit.

Johan is/were probably the best overall body proportions bar none. There biggest let downs are probably in the interior and chassis details.

Interior tubs tend to bit a bit to shallow and the chassis usually has everything molded as one piece - such as the rear axle, ft + rear susp and exhaust so they tend to be a bit cheasy looking.

But like mentioned, I build for my own shelf so once it's done they look great so I'm happy

A quick update . I did a stance test with the tire / wheel combination.

Originally I was just going to use the plate chassis from the promo,,,,,, BAD idea no matter what I did the car sat to low . :angry:

Scraped that idea and pulled a lindberg chassis from the 64 Dodge kit. 8-3/4 rear axle and springs from the Revell 1967 GTX kit with some 1/8" riser blocks mounted to the spring ends to raise the rear of the car up, outer steel wheel halves from the Revell Thunderbolt, Inner wheel backs and tires from the parts box .

Wheels will be painted in a dull black , as will the chassis . Rear tires are kinda small looking,,,, but they scale out to be the correct 7" width this car would have had back then.

It's just sitting together to make sure I had the stance I am after.

Comments good AND bad welcome

Ramchargers61A.JPG

Ramchargers61C.JPG

Ramchargers61B.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

l love '60s Mopars more than most. You did such a MARVELOUS job on the body & nailed the look you were going for. But......well, l think the tires & wheels are just too plain & boring for such a beautiful job on the paint & BMF ! Just one man's opinion, & l'd be VERY proud to display it as is ! Bart.

I actually agree, but I am aftert a particular look . I actually thought pretty hard to leave it asa factory stock replica?????????????,,,,,nah old drag cars rule

This is my ultimate goal , I hope it does anyway.

RAMCHARGERS61.jpg

............Now it makes sense ! Great job !