Model Cars Magazine Forum

World's toughest bridge near Durham , NC

slusher

So what I don't get is that they spent money to put up a double camera system, so why can't they go in an lower the road(being a railroad bridge you can't raise the grade) about a foot for 100' either side of the bridge and fix the problem. Maybe the city is just having too much fun watching trucks get destroyed. :blink:

So what I don't get is that they spent money to put up a double camera system, so why can't they go in an lower the road(being a railroad bridge you can't raise the grade) about a foot for 100' either side of the bridge and fix the problem. Maybe the city is just having too much fun watching trucks get destroyed. :blink:

I would imagine it's because they don't want trucks on that road in the first place. If you notice, with the exception of that tour bus - who was probably lost on a GPS and the one larger truck that had the skid steer attached to the back, almost all of those trucks were non-CDL local contractor/rental trucks who were more than likely trying to take a short-cut through town rather than going around town on the designated truck route. Part of the reason you don't see more CDL trucks in those videos is because drivers of vehicles requiring them realize that "No Thru/Through Trucks" means all TRUCKS, not just some trucks, but not really MY truck because I don't have to have a CDL to drive it.

Requiring a CDL is all about the GVW (and the braking system) of the vehicle, not it's dimensions. That being said not knowing the height of your vehicle is ignorant.

Don't you mean, "Only Boat Owners Slice Their Boats" on his bridge??

Not a Bridge, but at the church right out my front door, we had Not 1 but 2 Drivers

hit the Overhang at the front door with in one month!!

One was a U-Haul Rental!!

Hate to see his return fees!!!

They did not knock it down, but did push it off angle.

It now has Warning signs on both sides warning of the height limit!!

:lol:Is your truck driving hairy? Do you need to remove some BANGS? Well come on down to the all new Truck Barber in Durham! A little off the front? No problem! A quick trim off the top or all the way back? We've got you uncovered! STOP...on by and see why all the truckers say "It's the quickest shave you'll ever get!"

Edited by MAGNUM4342

The cameras don't belong to the city, they were set up by an recently immigrated (Western Europian, can't remember where exactly) employee of the company that owns the buildings those cameras are in. He hadn't been there long when he found that somebody hit that guard atleast once a month.......and that it was a great source on entertainment for the people he now works with. He's done research on the bridge's history as well as shot videos of idiots hitting it. The reason the bridge or the road is left alone is that it costs way to much for infrastructure changes for more clearance. To raise the bridge would require at least a couple miles worth of elevation changes to the track that runs over it and then going deeper to lower the road would require reworking underground pipes and other infrastructure. The costs severely outweigh the benifits of changing at least one if not both of the above, plus the city probably gets ticket money from said idiots, the rental companies get refurbashed or new trucks, and we get the videos to laught at!

"Hmmmm..... reckon what that there sign and flashing lights is fer??? I dunno, shoot the gas to it fer it turns red!" If you notice, whenever an overheight vehicle is coming, the yellow lights are flashing. After they get hung under the bridge or shave some from the top, they go off. I can make out "when flashing" on the bottom of the sign, but can't make out the words above it. The city has obviously put up a warning devise of some sort. But, it obviously still doesn't work for some people.