Model Cars Magazine Forum

You Say You Want a Spray Booth, Do Ya?

There is an active thread that is titled, "just because you can doesn't mean you should" which is very appropriate for this topic. We take for granted that hobby paints are flammable and the fumes can be explosive under ideal situations. Commercially available paint booths that were designed by experts with our safety in mine are not that out of reach for most of us and should be considered a "long-term investment" in our hobby. Paasche and Pace have paint booths available for less than $250. Save your money and do it right. These booths have a purpose designed fan with enough CFM's to pull paint overspray and fumes out of your painting area and do it safely. One of these booths should last 10, 20 years or more so, when you amortize the cost over that long period is like one or two kits per year.

I bought a Pace Peacekeeper Deluxe four years ago and it has been the best investment I have made in the hobby. I can paint indoors anytime I want to with no paint fumes to disturb my family. When I used to paint in an enclosed garage without a booth, the fumes would find there way into the house, especially when painting with Duplicolor automotive paints. Not any more. No more worries about temperature, humidity, etc. I vent mine out the window. The filter catches most of the overspray so no worries about paint settling on the side of your house.

TCP Global has Paasche 22" booths for about $220 and Pace has two models under $250 with free shipping. The top of the line Pace is $435. We all have plenty of models to build. Don't buy any for a couple or weeks/months and use that money to buy a proper paint booth. You will be glad you did. ;)

Ian just keep safety in mind. These kinds of DIY setups are best when you are not using flammable paints and reducers. I think they'd be fine for acrylics and water-based paints.

I built my booth with squirrel cage fan I bought at a local building materials salvage place, about ten years ago for 25.00.

About a year ago there was a thread on all the major forums and yahoo groups about a guy in Massachusetts who had an explosion from lacquer fumes, and a bathroom fan.. If I remember correctly it melted his contact lenses to his eyes, and he had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his head.Lost most of his sight..

If your going to paint like this wear safetyglasses/goggles and a respirator mask..

Jim A.

I will now add my two cents. If people could afford the proper tools/equipment for thier job/hobby, I am very sure they would providing they have the inteligence to do so! However, wake up, smell the coffee and face reality. I am sure the majority of people painting models as a hobby are lower class people. Now I am not saying like 90% but well over 50%. So what is this point. We are lucky if we can even afford a airbrush! Many people spray with a can outside on a rock or railing or held in the hand. Come the cold months, the hoby is done. Well we cant stand for that. So we look for the best suitable alternative that we can afford! I am one of these people. if I could shell out $200- $500 for a proper spray booth, I would!! but I and many others can not. So we look for these kind of posts to let us know the "best" way we can cheaply make due with. I would hope we are inteligent enough to understand there are certain risks with this! However, heres a thought for ya. What if someone has a proper spray booth, they are sitting there smoking and a spark falls off of the cigarett or whatever and hits a container of laquer thinner. OMG guess what, it could become dangerous given the right circumstances. So this is where we as free americans need to use some caution! How many people are told not to drink and drive. They still do! They kill others! How many people are told not to drink or do drugs when pregnant as it could cause birth defects. But they do and it does! Stupid people will always be stupid. But if we have no money, if we have sense, we can do things cautiously. I have seen a paint shop go up in smoke. All of the right equipment. Clothes masks fans everything. But dude lights a cigar, when he was done painting. Set it on the counter and it ignited fumes and caught the place on fire. Where was his caution? LOL. So my point being, use your better judgment always. Dont be dumb! Its the dumb people that makes things look bad!! People who can inform us of what we can use cheaply is a benefit to those who do not know. As long as we can see what we should use to build a proper suitable booth then it is up to us. I for one use the better judgment and try to use the best items for the buck!Anyways, Ill go into my corner now! LOL.

As a volunteer fireman who has spent more time in professional automotive spray booths than I care to admit, I would be remiss if I didn't say something. I'm only glad that someone else raised the issue (so I don't have to be the stick in the mud) that the use of anything other than an explosion-proof fan motor is dangerous.

I'd hate for someone to build one of these booths, only to lose their possessions, and possibly more, to something catastrophic, which is frightfully more possible than some of you seem to think.

Please, don't do this.

So I have a few ?s as I have never used one before, so please bare with me. Can these be used for rattle cans as well as an airbrush? How well do they cut down on the fumes? My sister and brother in law recently moved in with their 2 year old so I can't paint on the back porch like I used to and then leave the body to dry in the mudroom area. I have an open space in front of my bedroom window but the biggest concern is the smell, will the fan help to remove the areosol smell too, or at the very least cut them down?

I will now add my two cents. If people could afford the proper tools/equipment for thier job/hobby, I am very sure they would providing they have the inteligence to do so! However, wake up, smell the coffee and face reality. I am sure the majority of people painting models as a hobby are lower class people. Now I am not saying like 90% but well over 50%. So what is this point. We are lucky if we can even afford a airbrush! Many people spray with a can outside on a rock or railing or held in the hand. Come the cold months, the hoby is done. Well we cant stand for that. So we look for the best suitable alternative that we can afford! I am one of these people. if I could shell out $200- $500 for a proper spray booth, I would!! but I and many others can not. So we look for these kind of posts to let us know the "best" way we can cheaply make due with. I would hope we are inteligent enough to understand there are certain risks with this! However, heres a thought for ya. What if someone has a proper spray booth, they are sitting there smoking and a spark falls off of the cigarett or whatever and hits a container of laquer thinner. OMG guess what, it could become dangerous given the right circumstances. So this is where we as free americans need to use some caution! How many people are told not to drink and drive. They still do! They kill others! How many people are told not to drink or do drugs when pregnant as it could cause birth defects. But they do and it does! Stupid people will always be stupid. But if we have no money, if we have sense, we can do things cautiously. I have seen a paint shop go up in smoke. All of the right equipment. Clothes masks fans everything. But dude lights a cigar, when he was done painting. Set it on the counter and it ignited fumes and caught the place on fire. Where was his caution? LOL. So my point being, use your better judgment always. Dont be dumb! Its the dumb people that makes things look bad!! People who can inform us of what we can use cheaply is a benefit to those who do not know. As long as we can see what we should use to build a proper suitable booth then it is up to us. I for one use the better judgment and try to use the best items for the buck!Anyways, Ill go into my corner now! LOL.

I'm not sure I get the point of your post. What I'm hearing is "screw safety, and enjoy the hobby even if you can't afford to do it safely" ? I guess I was raised differently, but I was taught from a young age that you always use the right tool for the job, and if you don't have the right tool ( including the education ) you have no business doing the job. My whole point of raising an issue with this posting was NOT to be a stick in the mud, but in fact, to point out the inherit dangers of this particular set up. You say you can't afford $200-$500 for a booth ? How many kits do you have ? Stop buying kits for awhile, the cost of the booth will offset itself in a year ( given the current prices of kits ). Not to mention the fact there are are several alternatives , that have been pointed out in this thread alone , for paint booths for well under $200. As far as the guy who set fire to his shop , even with all the safety equipment ? Well, you can't fix stupid. ( this also applies to your theory of the individual who "smokes or whatever" next to a "proper" paint booth )

The connection between drinking and driving makes no sense either, I mean really, where do you get this stuff ? How does taking the time , effort and cognizant thought to build something, that you know is dangerous, then use it, endangering yourself and others around you for a hobbies sake equate to some moron who chooses to get behind the wheel of a vehicle while his judgment is impaired by alcohol ? Makes no sense any way you cut it. Really reaching here....

You are right, you do have the right to do what you want in your own house, but not the right to endanger others around you. I mean I think we've all done "unsafe" things in our lives, but seriously why tempt fate for the sake of a hobby ?

I'm not sure I get the point of your post. What I'm hearing is "screw safety, and enjoy the hobby even if you can't afford to do it safely" ? I guess I was raised differently, but I was taught from a young age that you always use the right tool for the job, and if you don't have the right tool ( including the education ) you have no business doing the job.

I love that part! That oughta stop half of us from building models the rest of our lives! Did you listen to yourself? Do you wear thimbles when you use your #11 hobby knife so you dont cut your self? Do you wear eye protection when you open the bag of parts incase one flies out? Do you put on a full face carbon mask when you handle epoxy? Do you buy a can of paint and put it in your car when its hot out in the middle of summer? I highly doubt it! These are all taking risks yes! How many people even wear a paper mask when they paint? The fumes can hurt your lungs. But, people do! I would love to know what you dont do when you should! Also, you want to assume I have a large collection of models is why I can not afford a spray booth. I have been laid off of work for over 2 years. I live in the boonies! My unemployment has run. I have about 7 kits in all. All but one are incomplete kits. You also say who am I , or others useing make shift spray booths, to endager others lives. When you use anything, that can do just that! The fire chief just lost his house two nights ago due to a electric fire. He left his kitchen light on when he went to the fire hall for a meating. The wires arced from being old and started the house on fire. So when you get out of bed and turn on that light, you are already putting people at risk! I am saying if we do things with caution we can minimalize the risks. No to wrap this up. You wish to know how I can relate a drunk driver to this. The person chooses to go out and drink. They already know that thier judgment will be impared! They drive to the bar. How will they get home. By driving! They already know this before they start that car! They choose to ignore everything. They choose not to be cautious in what they do! I am saying with the spray booths. One can buy a sealed fan for under $50 and spend maybe another $20 on hoses to properly exhaust the spray booth.Do you honestly think that the manufacturers of the spray booths are the only ones who can buy the sealed fans? We all know there is high mark ups on products! If you do not think so, thentell me why you can go to the dollar store and buy a toy that uses a watch battery for a dollar. But when that battery dies, it will cost you over $5 to replace the battery? What you buy in a $200-$500 spray booth you cn buy the parts for much cheaper! I look at that portable spray booth people say we should buy. I see what appears to be a case fan, same as whats in a computer or other electronic source as such. Is that fan really a sealed unit? I could go on all day. But, it would not matter because there always one pompuss that will argue about things to make themselves look better and tell us all we need to go out and buy all of these things or as you stated, we dont have the right to do our hobby!

I'm not sure I get the point of your post. What I'm hearing is "screw safety, and enjoy the hobby even if you can't afford to do it safely" ? I guess I was raised differently, but I was taught from a young age that you always use the right tool for the job, and if you don't have the right tool ( including the education ) you have no business doing the job.

I love that part! That oughta stop half of us from building models the rest of our lives! Did you listen to yourself? Do you wear thimbles when you use your #11 hobby knife so you dont cut your self? Do you wear eye protection when you open the bag of parts incase one flies out? Do you put on a full face carbon mask when you handle epoxy? Do you buy a can of paint and put it in your car when its hot out in the middle of summer? I highly doubt it! These are all taking risks yes! How many people even wear a paper mask when they paint? The fumes can hurt your lungs. But, people do! I would love to know what you dont do when you should! Also, you want to assume I have a large collection of models is why I can not afford a spray booth. I have been laid off of work for over 2 years. I live in the boonies! My unemployment has run. I have about 7 kits in all. All but one are incomplete kits. You also say who am I , or others useing make shift spray booths, to endager others lives. When you use anything, that can do just that! The fire chief just lost his house two nights ago due to a electric fire. He left his kitchen light on when he went to the fire hall for a meating. The wires arced from being old and started the house on fire. So when you get out of bed and turn on that light, you are already putting people at risk! I am saying if we do things with caution we can minimalize the risks. No to wrap this up. You wish to know how I can relate a drunk driver to this. The person chooses to go out and drink. They already know that thier judgment will be impared! They drive to the bar. How will they get home. By driving! They already know this before they start that car! They choose to ignore everything. They choose not to be cautious in what they do! I am saying with the spray booths. One can buy a sealed fan for under $50 and spend maybe another $20 on hoses to properly exhaust the spray booth.Do you honestly think that the manufacturers of the spray booths are the only ones who can buy the sealed fans? We all know there is high mark ups on products! If you do not think so, thentell me why you can go to the dollar store and buy a toy that uses a watch battery for a dollar. But when that battery dies, it will cost you over $5 to replace the battery? What you buy in a $200-$500 spray booth you cn buy the parts for much cheaper! I look at that portable spray booth people say we should buy. I see what appears to be a case fan, same as whats in a computer or other electronic source as such. Is that fan really a sealed unit? I could go on all day. But, it would not matter because there always one pompuss that will argue about things to make themselves look better and tell us all we need to go out and buy all of these things or as you stated, we dont have the right to do our hobby!

Truly, ignorance is bliss, sorry to hear your out of a job, , but does that mean you're out of smarts also ? As a matter of fact I DO wear eye protection, ever gotten a piece of metal in your eye ? I also wear a mask when painting, its only common sense, I do it when I paint a 1:1 car. As far as "mark up" goes, I agree, but if you look at these units, they are BY DESIGN made for painting, a computer fan is not. PC fans are made to move AIR, not explosive fumes. To a lesser degree bathroom fans are designed to move SOME fumes , but not the concentrations in a small paint booth. Think about the square footage and air volume in a bathroom then look at the concentrations in small paint booth, you don't need a slide rule to figure it out.

Look, an electrician has told you, a firefighter has told you and a body man has told you, this is an UNSAFE and extremely hazardous thing to do. We live in a free society thank god, and you can do what you want, provided you are not breaking any laws. However, since you are unemployed , my guess is you have no insurance, so when you blow yourself up , who pays the hospital bill ? Not you, no, that gets pushed on the people that go to work everyday and pay their bills through higher insurance premiums.

I replied to this thread because I saw something that was unsafe for kids to try, the original poster edited it , and I was done. You were the one that started "flaming" me by calling names ("pompuss" although I'm not 100% sure what that means, unless you meant pompous ? , which by the way makes no sense in the context you used it. Pompous: 1. Affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important )I was using these forums for what they were intended , passing on information, nothing more ...

To return to Phil's question....

Yes, a spray booth can (and probably should) be used with spray cans, airbrushes, and anything else that sends paint flying. I would suggest rigging a filter of some kind though, to catch the paint particulates. A furnace filter can be fitted in the box or off the back of it very easily and inexpensively.

Charlie Larkin

So I have a few ?s as I have never used one before, so please bare with me. Can these be used for rattle cans as well as an airbrush? How well do they cut down on the fumes? My sister and brother in law recently moved in with their 2 year old so I can't paint on the back porch like I used to and then leave the body to dry in the mudroom area. I have an open space in front of my bedroom window but the biggest concern is the smell, will the fan help to remove the areosol smell too, or at the very least cut them down?

Phil, it helps a whole bunch if you get a commercially make one with enough CFM's. My Pace Peacekeeper Deluxe does the job. Rattle cans or airbrush it doesn't matter. Rattle cans put out more paint and fumes IMHO. I have a board with the dryer duct attached that fits in the open window so all bad stuff goes outside. My kids bedrooms are next to the room I paint in and there is no residual odor in their rooms or the adjacent living room. Best investment I ever made.

To return to Phil's question....

Yes, a spray booth can (and probably should) be used with spray cans, airbrushes, and anything else that sends paint flying. I would suggest rigging a filter of some kind though, to catch the paint particulates. A furnace filter can be fitted in the box or off the back of it very easily and inexpensively.

Charlie Larkin

I also use mine when I am mixing two part body fillers. It sucks the fumes out of the room and believe me when I say that this stuff smells worse than paint. You need enough CFM's to get all the bad air out. A 250cfm fan will draw all the air from a 10x12 room every five minutes.

• 1 month later...

Several months ago I bought a Passche Spray Booth and it has been my best investment to date.

No Paint fumes, no overspray coming out into the room.

Don't know how I got along without it before.

Has anyone ever tried hooking a vacuum cleaner to the back of a spray booth? if you put a furnace filter in, and put a vacuum cleaner on it, then maybe got some more hose and vented the exhaust of a shopvac out the door, thatsounds like it would work. Are vacuum motors sealed?