Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Inspirational Model Car

When I was a little kid I couldn't wait until the latest issue of "Car Model" came out. And my two favorite builders by far were Hank Borger and Jim Keeler.

To this day, even though the old magazines were tossed in the trash many, many years ago, I still remember Jim Keeler's "Dodge Fever" dragster, with the operating pistons in the engine. I had never seen such a detailed model before in my entire life! And I still remember some of Hank Borger's many features, including his "Angry Man" Maverick, his yellow Corvette street rod, his version of Oscar Koveleski's McLaren race car, and his "Swirladelic" paint technique.

Although I never really got into model trucks, I also loved reading Phil Jensen's "Tidewater Trucker" column.

Some great modeling memories there... B) I sure wish I would have saved those magazines! :(

I also followed the Dodge Fever articles in CM and made a few versions myself, though never using all the different kits Jim used. About 15 years ago I found a pile of CM mags at a swap meet, and all the Fever issues were there for only a dollar each. Needless to say, I grabbed them and still have them. maybe it's time for a reprint? They also have Tom's wild customs with the intricate suspensions and tires that were twice as wide as they were tall

i meant iam 24 not 22 dont know why i was thinking that. guess we all got to get older :) :) and doc is a insperation to me. hope i get to be that good some day. with a lot practice i will be able to some day. I like this fourm a lot to helps me out a lot, coundt do this on my own well i could but it woudnt be near as fun :). As iam new to the hobby i dont have a lot people in the hooby i know but on here its doc by far. and a lot of guys help answer my question, so i guess i could say this fourm is insperation to me as well. really wish i woulda got into this when i was younger but never late then never. I learn a lot on this fourm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

roadwarrior001-vi.jpg

This is the model that inspired me to do better. I built it for a model competition... and it failed.

Hanging around a different area of the cars on display, I heard a fellow who had brought in a 1:12 '57 Chevy ask a judge why his model had also failed. I listened as the judge described the judging method they used. It was entirely technical. A car starts with 100 points. It loses a point for every fault. Faults include paint faults, injector marks, ejector pin marks, lines from where the molds join, glue marks, wonky parts, etc.

Below are pics of what I did to the above model after listening to that judge. What I couldn't fix (the engine) I permanently hid. The rebuild was extensive. The result was a 1st place the next year, and a 2nd when it was re-entered as the defending champion. The guy that beat me that time seemed to have learned the same lesson, as he entered his former build very much improved.

P1000434-vi.jpg

P1000442-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...

For me it was this site and all of the guys willing to help out . But it was one guy in particular ( Romell ) that got me really interested in taking modeling to a different level for my self. I came to this site and started searching for nissan skylines and found an orange r34 he had done and I was in awe with it and couldn't believe you could to that to a model. Then I searched through some of his photo bucket pics and found a purple one he had done . So I pm'ed him and asked a few questions about it and scratch building and how to open up a car and make door hinges and he was really helpful and that's what started me in the direction of becoming a better modeler. The things I've learned are to keep trying and ask questions if you have any. Someone is always willing to help you out on this forum. Dont take criticism to heart because people are only trying to help for the most part.

My builds went from mostly box stock with after market wheels to builds like this

DSC02421.jpg

DSC02422.jpg

DSC02424.jpg

DSC02429.jpg

DSC02427.jpg

DSC02433.jpg

Edited by jdmfan

For me it was this site and all of the guys willing to help out . But it was one guy in particular ( Romell ) that got me really interested in taking modeling to a different level for my self. I came to this site and started searching for nissan skylines and found an orange r34 he had done and I was in awe with it and couldn't believe you could to that to a model. Then I searched through some of his photo bucket pics and found a purple one he had done . So I pm'ed him and asked a few questions about it and scratch building and how to open up a car and make door hinges and he was really helpful and that's what started me in the direction of becoming a better modeler. The things I've learned are to keep trying and ask questions if you have any. Someone is always willing to help you out on this forum. Dont take criticism to heart because people are only trying to help for the most part.

My builds went from mostly box stock with after market wheels to builds like this

DSC02429.jpg

This is one beautiful build my friend and I am so glad I was able to help you out, Keep up the outstanding work and pass along the knowledge...

Guest JamesDE

I've been building since I was 15 years old, but got serious about the hobby in 2008... That's when I met Santiago Hernandez aka

MR1/16th.... I used to hang out with him and watch him work on his 16th scale 63 Impala lowrod.... I was amazed at the skills he possessed, and I wanted to have the same skills as him.... He became a brother to me, and I am grateful to have his friendship.... Sadly though, I became very sick and was in the hospital last year from July to January of this year... And ended up leaving San Diego to come back home to Atlanta... I don't know anybody in Atlanta that builds model cars, so I'm pretty much solo over here now...

Guest JamesDE

Found a couple pics....

This is me holding the frame that Santiago scratch built to 16th scale using a 1/25 scale frame as a reference

b2974f0c.jpg

And this is something that blew me away... Me and another homie were at his house and he gave me a 1/16 Big Bad Van kit as a gift...

Talk about giving back to the hobby....

77d0cfbf.jpg

"Big Daddy" Ed Roth had a big influence on me in the beginning. I remember drawing his monsters in some of my note books and on white "T" shirts with felt markers and wearing them proudly. He seemed like the king of model cars in the '60s although, I had a little trouble with most of the Revell kits of the time. Never could figure out why there was more than one guy known as "Big Daddy". Lol. Now a days I would put Doctor Cranky in that catagory. The Forum is a way bigger influence with all the help you can achieve here. All the new guys that show up here bring something special. Thanks to you all, and happy modeling!

When the kit was new, I remember seeing a display model of Tom Daniel's Garbage Truck. I must have been about 6. It was perfectly painted, assembled and housed under a dome in a Monogram promotional piece. Nothing fancy, just super clean. My Dad had already perked my interest in styrene and then there was Dink, the neighbor. 4 years older than I, and his brother, Randy about 3 years older than Dink. They were my earliest model infuences.

My Dad, stepdad, and uncle and that doesn't even begin to name them all. Dennis Doty was probably the first that I'm not related to. Then there's all the guys on this, and other forums, and all the model car mags also. Too many to list. Inspiration everywhere if you just look. This hobby is chocked full of EXELLENT builders. And all of them that I've had the pleasure of conversing with have been class acts. Even though I feel WAY below most of the builders skill levels, EVERYONE has had gracious comments about my humble builds. This hobby is the best! Bar None!

Everyone involved has inspired me in some way or another.

Corey

I am still striving to build my best model, and I hope I never will otherwise it will be downhill from there. The model the I always go back to for inspiration is the Carbon FXX done by Dave T that appeared in the July issue of TMMI (165). I have seen some truly great models but I always keep coming back to that one.

.....This one is a hard one to answer,I been following this topic......for me I did the modeling thing starting back in the early mid 70's when us kids would go to the local drug store and buy a kit for a few bucks and rush home to build it and I got a little more into with the hobby in the late 80's and by the mid 90's right before I quit the hobby I was getting just a lil' above novice,trying different things but never really "WOW'd" myself.

Started following the forums here a few years ago when I was kicking the idea to start back up again and who was my inspiration????....my case it was more like who(s)....it was some of the members right here in this forum...the few that got me to go wow!!!,really?...Hmmmm I gotta try this,I need to learn more....are people like Mark D. Jones, the attention to his detail and all overall,this is why he is the "Master", Dave Zinn, his detail without all the "Bling"and when I saw his first semi truck he did,I was just blown away,I went out that weekend and got my first victim, Dr. Cranky ,for his weathering/rust and just his flat out "used junk"look made me just want to do this to just about all my next projects in some form or another, Harry Pristovnik for the idea that using cheap acrylic paint from Michaels isn't only cool and price saver but also such a huge choice of colors....these are just a few members that really come to mind that made me really want to do better and try different things and ideas to make my projects much better AND enjoy my project even more.

I also have to say I have learned so much from other members here as well,just too many to mention,being that there is so much talent and ideas its just overwhelming and thats the beauty of this hobby and the Internet today,we can learn from builders all over the world.....now if some of us could learn to take criticism as a learning tool without wanting to make it a bash fest,because without the constructive criticism how can we learn to improve.....just my two cents....

Edited by Badluck 13

I am still striving to build my best model, and I hope I never will otherwise it will be downhill from there. The model the I always go back to for inspiration is the Carbon FXX done by Dave T that appeared in the July issue of TMMI (165). I have seen some truly great models but I always keep coming back to that one.

........Attaboy Geordi ! I've been wondering if anyone was ever gonna reply to the thread title.