Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gasser & AWB Community Build (Started.)

W-409

This has been in my mind for long time. Since I really like Gassers and Altered WheelBase cars, let's see if there would be any interest for this kind of CBP.

The Rules:

1. You can build any type of Gasser. It can be Between Traditional Old School Gasser with Leaf Springs & Straight Axle and Modern Drag Car what races in Gasser categories. Altered WheelBase cars are allowed too, as long as they are AWB.

2. You Can use any kit, it can be built Box Stock or then you can kitbash parts from other Model Kits. You can build your Gasser or AWB car from any car that you'd like to.

3. You Can enter with as many builds as you like. There's no Deadline, so slower builders (Like Me) can finish their builds too.

4. ALL kinds of Gasser/AWB builds are allowed. It can be American, European, Japanese body, or whatever you like. It can be everything from Replica to What If style build.

5. You can enter with a build, which is already started, but there needs to be bit more work to do than just adding few details, or gluing Gas Tank on place. ;)

If there's any interest on this CBP, Let me know, all kinds of questions are also welcomed.

The Official Entry List:

W-409
-'59 Simca Vedette Gasser [Finished Page 4]
-'41 Plymouth Coupé Gasser
-'29 Ford Pickup Gasser

-1963 NHRA Legal '40 Ford A/Gas

-'50 Austin Gasser

91Blaze
-Edsel Gasser

Haubenschild
-Rat Packer Nova AWB

Jantrix
-1/24 '53 Bel Air
-'39 Chevy Coupe

Boswell891
-1951 Henry J

ChevyCoupe41
-'49 Mercury
-'55 Chevy Nomad Gasser

Ace-Garageguy
-'57 Ford

Michigan Madman
-'41 Plymouth Coupe -or- a Ford Anglia Thames

MichaelJ
-'57 Vette

CorvairJim
-Corvair gasser

Blackout Racing
-'67 GTX Altered WheelBase.

Gray07
-Ford Thunderbird

Talbot90

-'50 Chevy Pickup Gasser

vc273

-'29 Ford Pickup Gasser

-Willys Panel Van Gasser

-'41 Plymouth Coupe Gasser

-'68 Dart Gasser

DodgeFever

-'57 Chevy Gasser

Madhorseman

-Mustang Gasser

Edited by W-409

Looks Good enough for me, I hope we get more entries, but I start the Official Entry list and this CBP is now started. B)

Here are pictures of my Simca Project. I've started it already, but there's still lots of more things to do.

It started out as AirTrax '59 Simca Vedette Resin Body.

IMG_0926.jpg

I opened the windows:

PA090089.jpg

PA090090.jpg

There was only a one big question. Where I could take the chassis and interior? I knew I had lots of spare engines, but chassis and interior was real problem. Then I found Revell's MissDeal Studebaker GlueBomb. The chassis fitted nicely after little narrowing. Of course I had to do some other modifications, like stretching the frame from front end.

PA090092.jpg

PA090093.jpg

Here is a picture of The First test fit. Front End was not high enough, so little cutting needed to be done.

PA090103.jpg

So I cut that frame crossmember, and moved it backwards, when I was able to install the front axle there. Now the front end would be bit higher, too.

P4020080.jpg

P4020081.jpg

P4020082.jpg

P4020084.jpg

I added little styrene strips on the body. These hold the frame in right position, and it can't fall too deep inside the body.

PA100118.jpg

The engine will be 392" Hemi what came with the Studebaker kit. It just needed some paint stripping before it was ready to be painted.

PA090094.jpg

PA140150.jpg

Here's the engine right now. The block is painted silver, and valve covers are of course painted Gold. I added so far the Ignition Wires but more detailing will be coming soon.

P7210188.jpg

P7210185.jpg

And I painted the body two days ago. I used Metal Flake Red paint, it fits pretty well on this Simca. As you can see from the pictures, the hood is masked and will be painted with the second color soon.

P7210169.jpg

P7210170.jpg

P7210172.jpg

P7210174.jpg

Actually, I've made little more progress today, but I have no pictures yet. I try to take them tomorrow and then I should have another update for this one.

Chuck, William and Jim, are you officially in? If you are, I add your names on the list.

And Haubenschild, when you decide what you'll be building, let me know and I'll add it on the list too. ;)

Especially the Edsel Gasser sounds very interesting, since I've been planning to do one for years, but never picked up that kit anywhere, even if Edsel is the nicest car, Ford Motor Company produced in the late '50s I think.

Looking forward to your builds, guys. B)

Update for the Simca Gasser. Mostly interior work today, especially with the Roll Cage. I glued the Miss Deal Studebaker cage on place, to see how much it needs to be modified. Well there is not much left on the Studebaker's cage, but it was a lot easier to do like that. You can see it in these pictures, silver tubing is what's left from the kit's Roll Cage, white is styrene tubing.

P7240197.jpg

P7240198.jpg

P7240200.jpg

After taking those pics, I painted the cage silver.

Little engine work, too. The Blower is from my parts box, and it was stripped off from chrome plating, and painted silver. That scoop on the top of those little injector stacks is scratchbuilt from styrene. I installed MoonEyes Logos on it, to give nice finishing touch. Belt Cover is from Miss Deal Studebaker kit, too.

P7240201.jpg

P7240202.jpg

I also glued the engine into chassis today. It's still Under Construction, but it can be built on that place. Now I can make good engine mounts too, and now I can solve all clearance issues much easier. I just threw the body on the chassis for a little MockUp.

P7240206.jpg

P7240207.jpg

P7240210.jpg

P7240211.jpg

Oh, count me in! I just have to decide what vehicle I want to use.

I've been thinking of doing a Renault Dauphine gasser-style for a while. Definitely a "what if", as I don't think the body shell would have been legal as anything but an altered, or maybe competition coupe. This CB might light the fire.

Not a Dauphine, but I did build a Renault gasser a few years ago-110_110-vi.jpg

Unrelated- I do have a set of 1:1 Dauphine wheels and hubcaps in my possession though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Great subject, Michael. And yes, you are on the entry list.

Little update on the Simca-project too. It's on four wheels now, it was kinda hard task to get it straight and all lined up but luckily it looks Okay to me. The chassis is pretty rough still and needs paint touches, bit cleaning and of course-detailing. But time for that is coming bit later, since I'm trying to get the basic components installed and then move on to details and other stuff.

I have to build Motor Mounts next, and also I need to install all of the steering linkages. This car is not gonna have a dashboard or other "un-important" accessories. And before someone says about it, I'm going to tell you that this car is Not going to be a Legal Gasser class racer, just building it bit like Gasser style.

Anyway, here are few pics with the body on.

P8130197.jpg

P8130201.jpg

P8130195.jpg

P8130194.jpg

I also found correct radiator for this one. After thinking, where to install it, I realized that there's not room for it... Well this is going to be the place for Radiator on finished model, just need to do somekind of brackets for it.

P8130189.jpg

OK fella's this was started a few month's ago & put aside for other project's, now i'll have some motivation to build on it again!

this is where i was and then the paint took a slide to the left, so i started over... I'm also going back and change the front to an axle

cause I hate & can't get the front high enough (i do like my moter)

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

Still allot to go--- I'm going to use the front sus. from the monogram 55 street machine. we'll see how THAT works out,

all comments and crit's are very welcome. thank's guy's