Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quite an interesting build, certainly looks like something you'd see sitting in someone's back yard! :wacko:

I did something similar with mine, I built it as a beater El Camino you'd see in like a trailer park down south. :P

SDC11023.jpg

SDC11031.jpg

How did you crack the windshield?

@Malard Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for! :o

I noticed that a couple of you implied that this kit has some serious pitfalls that make it less than fun to build. Could someone specify what all is wrong with it? I've got one of these kits stuck away for "someday" but I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

I noticed that a couple of you implied that this kit has some serious pitfalls that make it less than fun to build. Could someone specify what all is wrong with it? I've got one of these kits stuck away for "someday" but I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

For me, the body had a couple of huge chunks missing where someone at the factory had broken off the excess sprue, there was a metric ton of flashing, the detail of the interior was atrocious, and the hood didn't pivot; it had two pegs that met with two holes by the windshield. These are things that could be overcome, for sure, but since I had no emotional connection to this car, I had no desire to overcome these challenges to build an ok-looking Elkie. Hence, destruction. :rolleyes:

Same as RHS for mine and I had a he'll of a time with the front bumper, if I had to rebuild it I'd use a better detailed engine as well. Final fit of every thing is a pain too I had file the chassis on several places for it to snap togthere. I'd wished I'd pickuped the Revell kit.

How did you crack the windshield?

All I did was use an Xacto knife and scribed the windshield to look like it's cracked, basically hold the knife backwards (blade pointed upwards).

As far as kit shortfalls, I dislike how they did the front suspension and how undetailed the kit is overall. Better kit is the '79 3n1 kit by Revell/Monogram.

Edited by Jordan White

Here's where the Elkie is after a long couple of days:

kL0q8.jpg

Thanks for the glass tip, Jordan! I went for a good solid hit rather than a crack. :lol: I also added some rust streaks on some of the pits in the body and put a nice semi-glossy "wet" spot on the dented in roof.

tcnl0.jpg

I put in three lonely spark plug wires that aren't attached at the other end. One (pictured) is laying on the distributor, and the other ones are settled on top of the transmission.

i5FE1.jpg

Interior shot. I didn't detail the instrument cluster at all on this one Usually that is one of my favorite parts to do, however, I liked the way this came out with just some drybrushed dust and dirt.

Next up, the headlights and bumper need to be painted and the front clip needs to be put on. The clip came out a shade darker than the rest (and nicer looking, too. I think the lack of salt residue and hairspray contributed.) so I'm thinking the previous "owner" may have put on a replacement at some point that he painted himself. B) Thanks for looking!