Model Cars Magazine Forum

50' Olds Fastback, Update! 11/22/12

BKcustoms

Well here is something I started working on this week, I chopped the roof off of an AMT 51 Chevy Fleetline and grafted it on to the new Revell 50 Oldsmobile kit to create a 50 Olds fastback. This will be a pretty quick build once I finish the bodywork (it's still in the rough stages) and will be mostly box stock with some custom touches added since I can't ever leave anything alone :lol: Anyway, heres the pics. Let me know what you think!

100_2582.jpg

100_2583.jpg

100_2585.jpg

100_2584.jpg

100_2586.jpg

100_2587.jpg

...Billy

Edited by BKcustoms

l'll follow along here. this is the only way l'd build the Olds kit & have been waiting for someone to do it 1st so l can watch, lol! Thanks for sharing. lt looks very smooth. The roof looks a little high in the rear compared to the 1:1 car l want to replicate, but it's a custom & may have been massaged/chopped somewhat. At any rate, you have done a very nice job grafting here! Please keep it up. Bart

Edited by Bartster

Looks good so far. I see you cut the roof behind the windshield opening to preserve the original Olds shape. Same solution I came up with. I'm still working out the right cuts for the rest of it, but mine is chopped, so the top of the windshield moves back, which in turn corrects the joggle in the rear of the door shut-line resulting from the AMT doors being shorter than the Revell.

Really looking forward to seeing yours done, especially considering the quality of your recent work.

That sure looks good. Seems to be a pretty nice fit overall. It's hard to see where you mated it at the rear .. might you take another shot with the mating lines in pen or pencil for us old timers with bad eyesight to see how you did it? :)

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Here's a couple of pictures of the cuts I made. The wedge cut in the roof was made so I could narrow it in the front since the AMT roof is a few mm wider on both sides and it wouldn't match up with the portion of the Olds roof that I kept.

fastbackoldscutlines.jpg

oldsfastbackcuts2.jpg

I hope this helps, I'll do my best to answer any questions. ...Billy

Excellent. I've been waiting for someone to take this step. Add me to the list of folks who would like to build this version of the Olds. A neighbor of mine restored a 1:1 of this. Painted it the richest black I'd ever seen and it was a factory stock beauty. Great work Billy, now bring it home.

One guy on the Model Cars Unlimited Yahoo group did a similar conversion.

He elected to cut both roofs and decklids off the cars and swap them. The cuts were made behind the doors, eliminating the door issue. I'll see if I can figure out how to post some pictures of it over here. There was a small amount he needed to fill in, but the overall conversion came out very nicely.

Charlie Larkin

Here's a link to what Will did. This might be another approach for those who want to give this a shot, but are a little shy on doing massive surgery.

I do remember Will saying it would need a small amount of filler to level off the roof, but overall, it worked pretty well.

Charlie Larkin

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ModelCarsUnlimited/attachments/folder/1148198578/item/706533271/view