Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 camaro pro-mod wip

That's turning out really nice, Steve. What OD were your butterflies? I may be missing something but on your lower coil-over brackets, it looks like they have only a pivot point where they connect to the housing bracket, which makes it seem as though they "float". That doesn't make sense to me. Is there another piece that will be added to tie them solidly into the housing bracket? As I said, I may not be seeing something but am just curious... Your coil-overs look super!

thanks scott. the butterflies have a diameter of 8mm. the coil overs will be fixed to the brackets, the pics are to just to get an idea on how it all sizes up. haven't decided how they will be fixed, but there is a need for the extension on the brackets. ideas are very welcome on this.

steve

managed to have some more fun with my lathe, and turned the brackets for the NOS bottles and the oxygen bottle to. also did a pair of fire bottles. the seat padding was made from the packing from one of my airbrushes and the wheel tubs were halves of old paint tin caps. i wasn't happy with the wheelie bar, so i have reworked it and also made various brackets for the hand brake, chute release, fire release controls and side panel mounts.

dscf4293b.jpg

dscf4295w.jpg

dscf4297i.jpg

dscf4301o.jpg

dscf4302z.jpg

dscf4304dh.jpg

dscf4305o.jpg

steve

thanks joe. i haven't got a compound slide, keep meaning to get one. all i did was to move the tool post round at various points to get a rough radius. i then finished it with a coarse file to get the final radius and then a fine file followed by fine grade wet and dry.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bill.

the chassis is now completed and painted, WOOHOO!! Got the fire bottles installed and clamped down, with just the hoses to put in. Made the electrical board from car radio parts mounted to a sheet of 0.5mm ally. Prop guard has also been installed, I used 0.8mm bolts for that and the fire bottle clamps.

dscf4324h.jpg

dscf4325a.jpg

dscf4327g.jpg

dscf4329m.jpg

dscf4331u.jpg

dscf4332r.jpg

dscf4333t.jpg

dscf4334r.jpg

stay tuned for the next episode.

steve

I now have the seat installed together with the seat harness. I scratchbuilt an electrical box and brake resevoir and have the batteries installed and wired. I also made the hand brake lever and chute release lever, both are bolted in using 0.8mm nuts and bolts. pedals are now in place and I am just working on the linkages.

dscf4396j.jpg

dscf4399u.jpg

dscf4402r.jpg

dscf4400y.jpg

dscf4403u.jpg

dscf4404h.jpg

dscf4405g.jpg

just got these in the post today. carbon dics brakes and hubs from Jim at Micro Nitro, and they are superb. Will be great to get these installed, but need to get the wheels and tires next.

dscf4407p.jpg

thanks for checking in.

steve

Ok, got lots done on this beast. detailed the rear end and made a couple of changes to. Added detail to the rear hubs, (brake calipers are next). started detailing the oil and gas tanks. Turned the oil pump and pulley. Added some fuel lines to the engine and installed the front struts. I have mocked up the front discs/hubs as I haven't decided whether to use five stud or spindle mount wheels, I also adjusted the ride height at the front so that the new headers have ground clearance.

dscf4671d.jpg
dscf4672t.jpg
dscf4674f.jpg
dscf4675.jpg
dscf4676rh.jpg