Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Ford F-1 Woody Wagon - update - completed Aug 28-14

Phildaupho

Three years ago I was very taken with a rendering of a phantom Ford F-1 Woody in Canadian Hot Rods magazine and knew one day Icompletedwould build a similar model. I had a good starting point as I had already cut the front end off an AMT 41 Ford Woody for use on a still-born 48 to 41 Custom Convertible project.
photo-vi.jpg
I continued scribing the 41 body removing the rear fenders, the roof, cowl and windshield and inner Woody panels. I also decided to have an opening tailgate window so I can have surfboards poking out the back. The F-1 parts came from the Revell 50 Ford Pick-Up. I was hoping to use the F-1 windshield but was surprised at how much narrower it is than the 41. That being the case I joined the two cowls just under the 41 windshield and faired everything together with putty. The rear F-1 fenders were narrowed and some modifications were required at both ends of the running boards to meet the F-1 fenders. Ahead of the rear fenders the wood framing was reshaped. The 41 interior only required a few modifications such as grafting on the forward most section of the F-1 floorboard and trimming the leading edges of the inner body panels. Having the shiny bits separated from the wood bits should make painting easier.
photo2-vi.jpg
The chassis is a lengthened Revel 37 Ford street rod assembly. Both ends of the chassis were modified to incorporate the appropriate bumper supports. The 37 kit also supplied the wheels and tires and the engine. Even though these are 1/24 I dont think they will look out of place and will eliminate many fitting issues

I decided to cut out the inner Woody panels so I could use the incredibly thin wood
veneer cigar box liners a friend gave me many years ago. This method will allow me to sandwich the sheets between the outer and inner body panels.
photo-vi.jpg

Just a few words about the AMT 41 Ford Woody. I know the kit has been criticized for its nose in the air attitude but it definitely has many redeeming qualities. The chassis can supply some great parts such as the beam front axle, hairpin radius rods and the quickchange rear end. The flat-head engine is very cool having a rather unique twin throttle body fuel injection system with a couple of cone air filters. The engine also features a latter day distributor and chrome exhaust headers, which lead to a nice set of dual exhausts. The drum brake backing plates are nicely rendered and the slot mags and tires look pretty good. This kit is definitely worth picking up at a swap meet. There was even a pre-decorated version offered that can make a quick and attractive shelf models.

Edited by Phildaupho

Great project Phil! Looking really good, especially with your plan of using the cigar wood wrappers. Also like seeing more Woodies being built, yet what really stands out for me is the work you're putting in to make it a one of a kind, kit bashed model. Looking forward to the rest of the build process and having a chance to see it in real life.

Cheers Misha

• 6 months later...

All the wood and paintwork is now completed and the model just awaits assembly. I painted the wood framing and headliner with Testers Wood and with clear over top. The wood panels were brush painted with at least a half dozen coats of Pledge with Future. The bodywork was painted with Testers Arctic Blue Metallic Enamel with an airbrush and has not yet been polished. I installed flanges on the rear fenders for mounting. The seats are Testers Leather.

For more photos of model and real F-1 Woodies go to

http://public.fotki.com/phildaupho/1/1950-ford-f-1-woody/

photo1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photo-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki