Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghostbusters Ectomobile

scalemodelworld

While I wait for some supplies to arrive so I can finish my pimped Buick, I got started on the Ectomobile. As usual, the kit is wildly incorrect compared to the movie. I've done the research and started modifying it so it looks right. Here's an example:

How the roof rack comes in the kit: Trimmed down to look like the movie car: All painted up:

post-11019-0-56289700-1363510221_thumb.j post-11019-0-16654200-1363510231_thumb.j post-11019-0-92187600-1363510241_thumb.j

The roof is also a problem. It comes ready to instal signs for the sequel-movie car, so to build the original, you have to remove the 6 supports on the edges of the roof.

post-11019-0-05989100-1363510250_thumb.j

I need help with the paint job on this model. I've posted a separate query in the Q&A forum for those interested in helping me resolve a paint issue that I've never seen before. Here's the pics (more info about the details in Q&A):

post-11019-0-72905700-1363510549_thumb.j post-11019-0-26746800-1363510564_thumb.j

Which version of the Movie car, And which kit are you building??

The AMT kit builds the car from the Second Movie, while the Polar Lights kit the First.

The new re-issue of the AMT kit includes the decals for Both versions, but yes does

need a lot of modifying if you want to build it as the Original movie version.

I Know, I did it with an Original issue Years before Polar Lights Even Opened its doors!!!!

I can show pic's of both he Modified/back-dated build, and out-of-box Ecto-1A build

if interested. (I made replacement message board signs too)

Pretty sure it's the re-issue, based on your comments. It has decals for both cars, and says you can build either car.

I've noticed the equipment on the roof is WAY different to the movie, so I have a lot of scratchbuilding to do. Luckily, I'm off to the hobby store today to restock paints, so I can pick up more styrene while I'm there.

The roof equipment is for the Second Movie.

Only One piece is Omitted from the kit that should be there.

Ecto-1A-Ls.jpg

The Yellow round top canister on top the left rear up-right of the carrier is not a part in the kit.

I made that out of a parts box fire extinguisher. I also had to extend the up-right to mount it.

That part and the taller up-right are in the P-L First movie kit

Notice the Signboard. Those are the Biggest mistake in the AMT kit.

Those signs are LED's so the ones I made look more accurate.

I counted the Lights, and found them to be 7 rows high by ?? across.

I used the blank message panels from a Revell "Goodyear" Blimp kit!

I have 2 pic's showing all the different ones I made based one ones I saw in the movie.

Here are more pic's of the 2 builds.

And YES, the Back-dated version is Still "In-Progress"!!!!

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/EdselDan/Models/Ghostbusters/

Wide-Whites are from a Monogram 59 Cadillac convertible.

There are only 4 legs that mount the carrier to the roof. Not 4 per side!!!

It looks like you are doing the First movie version. The ALL Blue Lights one!

In the second they add Green, Amber and even Red to the front MX lightbar

Yea the Rims on A Should be White not chrome.

Only the Baby-Moons are chrome!

Another feature many do not see, The windows are Tinted, but there is a Non-tinted

stripe running though them too.

See the 2 'Wavy' lines engraved on the inside of the window piece??

You can almost see that effect in the pic above. It took several tries to get it.

and had to use different methods on each side.

One side is Testor's clear black paint, the other id 2 layers of tint film.

I cut the one piece window unit into 4 pieces to make it easier to do this.

The Polar Lights kit has clear windshield and front door windows, while the

rest are blank, not really tinted, almost opaque.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Wow, thanks Dan. While I'm going for the look of the original, I don't know that I will go as far as getting new wheels and doing the windows. Sad I know, but model kits in Australia are ridiculously expensive, and without a decent spares box, it's not worth the money just to get a set of wheels.

Thanks for the tip on the upright canister thing. I've been wondering how I'm going to manage that. Might just need to glue some styrene together and shape it myself.

And yes, I'm doing the "all blue lights" version. Easy, since I just painted the clear cover and not worried about all the intricate colours inside. The biggest issue with that, is that the light tube sits on the roof, not on the frame (like with yours)

OK, That helps. Sorry, I did not even look to see where you were from.

I can understand the Increased cost of kits, thus Parts kits are FEW!

Here are the 2 pic's of the one I am Back-dating into the Original movie car.

Ecto-1-Rs.jpg

Ecto-1-Ls.jpg

I made mounts just like for the Front Lightbar for the rear one.

I can take the bar off and TRY to take a close up pic of them if you want, But

Just file scrap styrene to shape.I did drill for 2 pins the fit into the bottom of the light bar

for a positive mount.

The Box on the carrier with the Red rotator light is Not there in the First movie.

I cut it off and filled the opening with sheet styrene.

Also Not the large canister on the right side is Pale yellow or Cream Not red,.

I used Evergreen 3/32 inch (2.4 mm) tube for the Old style Microwave Antenna

The pedestal is made of telescoping sizes of Tube., the box/block that

the antenna rods mount to, and is at the top of the shaft.pedestal is filed from

scrap or layered strip/sheet

I removed the Large Strobe light base from the carrier and remounted it to the front center.

A "MARS" Gyro-Light Goes to the left and the Siren to the right. But, You will most likely have to Make those!!

I made Both out of Jo-Han Police Fury LAPD version Siren bodies. (The Polar Lights kit has a copy of this siren!!)

On the Light, I cut the Vents Off, rounded the cut area to look like a factory edge, inserted a smaller head light bezel,

and then added the Lens.

The Siren I had to make the Face for. I used different sizes of Evergreen tube to get the correct diameter

then drew a copy of the face on paper. I scaled it to fit, then used that to cut the slots in the face.

BMF was used to get the Chrome look.

I can look for a copy of the drawing of that Siren face. Or more likely find pic's on the net easier!

The Original AM Radio antenna is still on the right front fender in the first movie,

and there are 2 large Whip antennas. one on the left rear.

I made the Ladder on the right rear from a 1/32 scale Monogram Mack CF pumper.

I think I used the narrower piece of the ground ladder.

I added .02 inch Strip to the side rails, and Carefully drilled for 4 pins

to mount it to the side of the car.

The Spotlight mounts though the Fender Not the windshield frame.

And there should be a Side mirror on the door even with the mirror

on the spotlight!!

I do not have the silver/aluminum pipe/tubing running up the right side just

behind/almost under the ladder mounted, but I used Aluminum Tube & rod for it.

The "Flex" hoses Are still flat blue in the first movie, but the mounts/holders are white, not yellow.

Just thought of this. Those hoses will need to be lengthened if possible.

They need to at least appear to go under the carrier. Also the carrier needs to be lowered slightly.

I keep remembering things as I look at the pic's of her!!

The center of the 'Jetpod" tail light it the Backup light, so should be White not red.

Only the outer secion is red. I thought those were only reflectors, but do see them

light up as the hit the brakes. The Tail light bullets are OK, but do not have the Chrome trim

striped around them. (Guess they were too small for AMT to worry about!)

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

OK last time for now I hope......

I replaces the shaft of the Whip antenna's with Evergreen .035 inch rod for better appearance.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Wow, talk about some serious help! You've covered things that I haven't even thought of, or discovered yet. I've scoured the web and the movie, but it's hard to get decent ref shots to see all the different angles.

I picked up some "square rod" yesterday to build the ladder, and plan to use layered styrene to build the striped canister thing on top. When I modified the rack (shown in my first post), I kept the section with the mounting pins for the rear light and cut them off. There's a shallow slot at the back of the roof for the rear of the rack, where it holds the tank. I glued the light pins into that and then puttied the rest of the slot. It doesn't look great (since my puttying skills still need work), but it should be fine once the light bar is in.

I wonder if you can help with my biggest problem? In the movie, the dish on the roof is clear, but in the kit it's white. I saw someone use clear plastic from a drink bottle to make a windscreen, so I figure I could use something similar to make the radar dish in clear. My biggest question is: How do I heat the plastic so it becomes pliable without melting it? Boiling water? Microwave oven?

I assume I would need to make a mould of each side of the white dish with putty, let them harden and then sandwich the heated plastic between the two. Is it that easy??

I don't have parts to make the forward facing roof lights :( . There's one in the kit that might work, so I planned to just point it forwards and paint it to look like a light. Not sure what I planned to do for the second one.

You mean the One at the rear of the carrier??

in the Right side pic of My modified build, it is right above the ladder??

That part was Clear in the original issue of the AMT 1A

I know in the Polar Lights kit it was one of the White parts.

I will have to check a re-issue to see if they moved the part off the clear tree.

Sorry..... no photos yet

Got a LOT done yesterday. Managed to re-sand the body and remove most of the fish eye problem, then resprayed with OK results. Good enough for me at least.

Removed the two centre legs of each rack support, lowered them to 3.5mm so they fit JUST over the blue hoses. I also realised that the blue hoses don't reach the rack if left the way they are. And looking at movie pics, the rack goes closer to the edges of the roof than the kit, so I widened the centre equipment thing. Only problem is, I added almost 1cm to EACH SIDE, so now I have these wide, plain strips on each side. They don't look horrible, but not sure how to fill them.

I also layered some sheet styrene and roughly carved it into the shape of that canister thing on the roof, then covered it in putty and sanded it more into shape. Hopefully it will look good when it's painted.

Probably won't get much done today - I'm off to buy an airbrush setup. My friend runs www.thepaintingbunker.com which is really about Warhammer type stuff, but he has won awards for his painting. He's freaking amazing. So I e-mailled him yesterday, and in about half an hour, I'm picking him up and FINALLY moving to airbrush! Yay me!

• 1 month later...