Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Momad

Custom Mike

And now, the modifications to get the rims tucked in a bit more. I settled on the stock SRT rims, because I couldn't find a good set that was narrow enough to fit. So I had my rims, but didn't want to use the kit tires (Think Revell '06 Mustang or '09 Challenger tires), so I started digging through my spare tires. I found the set from Revell's '02 Camaro (35th Anniversary) kit fit after a bit of stretching, so they're now in place. They have a smaller sidewall, so it lowered the ride height a bit as a bonus! But onto the mods I did to tuck them in. I broke out the Dremel, and made a hole in the disc brake rotors that would allow the rim to seat on the suspension instead of the rotors. Not a massive gain, but enough to do the trick. I also had to trim the steel axle for the back wheels a bit, but it's all good now. Here's the modifications, next post is of the completed chassis!

Momad110-vi.jpg

Momad108-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

And now the completed chassis. Oh, and I forgot to mention, these pics have the body installed on the chassis, and it looks great so far! The last pic shows what I was shooting for, the tires all nice and tucked into the body like they should be! This is where it's sat for the last year, from here on out will be the new progress, I've finally figured out a fix for my flimsy C-pillars I hope!

Momad112-vi.jpg

Momad113-vi.jpg

Momad114-vi.jpg

Yikes Look whos blown in from the wind! Hows ya bee Mike! Your handle name sure fits the bill!!! I know I'll enjoy this thread alot really cool concept you got goin on!Glad to see ya still choppin things up. Stay cool and keep on wit the keepin on! Talk soon bro! We'll be in Virginia next month!!!

Absolutely amazing creation you have there!!!!!!! Im a GM guy mostly but do enjoy all things automotive and this will be no doubt, impressive. I dont really find using the Nomad styling cues as " cross pollination " as you are keeping the Mopar mechanicals intact. Can't wait to see more.

Personal opinion alert!

While I think you are doing an overall outstanding job on this; unless you are going to move the headlight buckets forward or do something with the leaned-back angle of them, the hood front looks like somebody got suckerpunched in the lip. It juts out too far and too flat vertically for the tilt of the headlights......just looks wrong.

Personal opinion over.

How are you Mike, still up to your custom ways I see.

Wasn't sure about this but once it sits with chassis and wheels, it looks really good.

My only criticism would probably be the shape of the B pillar, it just gives the door a strange shape. Maybe it needs to be a little fatter.

Don't worry about me, you know that I never know what I'm talking about.

Yikes Look who's blown in from the wind! Hows ya bee Mike! Your handle name sure fits the bill!!! I know I'll enjoy this thread a lot really cool concept you got going on!Glad to see ya still choppin things up. Stay cool and keep on wit the keepin on! Talk soon bro! We'll be in Virginia next month!!!

Wait a minute Tito, what's going on in Virginia next month, something I should be thinking about attending maybe? Drop me a PM and let me know bro!

Personal opinion alert!

While I think you are doing an overall outstanding job on this; unless you are going to move the headlight buckets forward or do something with the leaned-back angle of them, the hood front looks like somebody got suckerpunched in the lip. It juts out too far and too flat vertically for the tilt of the headlights......just looks wrong.

Personal opinion over.

Bradley, you're not the first to point that out, but I kind of like it once the headlights are in place. Just wait, it does get better looking, I promise! And the hood has a little more of an angle to it right now, so be patient, and thanks for the honesty!

Edited by Custom Mike

The door panel work looks great. I like seeing the design process. I'm working on door panels now. Your post was very timely for me.

Glad I could help, now let's see what you're up to!

How are you Mike, still up to your custom ways I see.

Wasn't sure about this but once it sits with chassis and wheels, it looks really good.

My only criticism would probably be the shape of the B pillar, it just gives the door a strange shape. Maybe it needs to be a little fatter.

Don't worry about me, you know that I never know what I'm talking about.

Kane, great to hear from you man, how's life Down Under? You nailed the one thing that's really bugging me, the shape of the tops of the doors. I wish I had done something different, but it is what it is at this point, and much like every one of my customs, there's one thing that I hate on all of them. One day I'll get it all to work out right, but until then, I keep trying. And you know I never know what I'm talking about either, why do you think Troll always translated for me? :P

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I'll get some more progress pics up tomorrow, I had a very long day today, hopefully tomorrow is a nice, normal day!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Well except for Hemi, he can bite me! :lol:

Thanks to a friend of mine on another forum, I finally figured out a way to add my C-pillars to this baby, and make them hold up to polishing without popping off. Instead of gluing a strip of styrene into the window opening, I added a strip behind the opening. I found that if I sanded the pillar area of the interior panel down, I could hide the "bracing" strip easily, and glue the actual C-pillar to the bracing strip. While I was at it, I added some channels to the window opening so I can put the windows in flush from the outside. Then I made up some templates for my new side windows, and added a bit of putty to fix some tiny pinholes and correct the tops of my door seams. Here's the pics, hopefully I can get back to regular updates on this baby now!

P1130051-vi.jpg

P1130055-vi.jpg

P1130056-vi.jpg

P1130048-vi.jpg

Momad126-vi.jpg

Momad129-vi.jpg

Momad130-vi.jpg

Alright, we have a completed passenger side C-pillar now, so we're moving right along. I did spot a major flaw in this kit, the side windows don't match from side to side. All I did was re-arrange the pillars, I never modified the window openings in the rear. Check out the last two pics to see how far off Revell got the sizing of the side windows. My only modification was the top edge at the front of the windows behind the doors. Now I've got some more filling to do, I can't let this slide...

Momad131-vi.jpg

Momad133-vi.jpg

Momad134-vi.jpg

Momad135-vi.jpg

Momad136-vi.jpg

Momad137-vi.jpg

OK, here's where I fix the passenger side windows. I broke out some clear tape, my trusty Acrylic Filler, and got to it. I took my window templates for the driver's side, taped them up so the filler wouldn't stick to 'em, then put some tape on the inside of the body. Once they were in place, I laid some filler down on the top edges first, then the front of the window at the B-pillar. Here's the pics, I'll give it a few days to fully cure (So I don't pop the filled pieces off, there's barely anything to 'em!) then get it all tightened up.

Momad138-vi.jpg

Momad139-vi.jpg

Momad140-vi.jpg

Momad141-vi.jpg

Momad142-vi.jpg

Momad143-vi.jpg

Momad144-vi.jpg

Momad145-vi.jpg

Alright, we've got some more progress. I know, way too much is getting done, I'll slow down here again, I'm sure of it!

I mocked up the tail lights just to see how they fit, and found that my new '57 style trim went wayyy below the tail lights. So I broke out an X-Acto blade, and carefully broke the side trim loose on both sides so I could reposition it. After getting it where it needed to be, I trimmed it up a bit, and added a new section to each side so it goes all the way to the tail lights. Here's the pics, enjoy!

Momad146-vi.jpg

Momad147-vi.jpg

Momad148-vi.jpg

Momad149-vi.jpg

Momad150-vi.jpg

Momad151-vi.jpg

Momad152-vi.jpg

Momad153-vi.jpg

Well, this baby is now in the home stretch! I found my color (The H.O.K. Oriental Blue I wanted to use was just too dark for this one), it's a nail polish of course, and it should be stunning! The body is done, along with the front and rear fascias, leaving only the tailgate and hood, which should be done very soon. The interior will be a two-tone gray, with possibly some blue highlights somewhere, we'll see.

MomadPaintChoice-vi.jpg

Momad161-vi.jpg

Momad162-vi.jpg

Momad163-vi.jpg

Momad164-vi.jpg

Here's some quick mock-up pics just to see how it all looks together. I've got a few very small items to deal with on the body (Mainly around the new trim and front of the hood), but hopefully I'll have some Primer/Sealer on it in a few days!

Momad165-vi.jpg

Momad166-vi.jpg

Momad167-vi.jpg

Momad169-vi.jpg

Momad171-vi.jpg

Thanks guys, I just do what I feel is cool, it's an added bonus that people like it. If I get some light days at work this week, I should be able to tighten up all my little issues, and get the primer/sealer thrown at it, wish me luck!