Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nail polish

I have used nail polish for decades.

Still my favorite, and cheapest, way to paint.

I prep body with a lacquer primer surfacer, then a sealer, wet sand, and then thin nail polish with lacquer thinner, starting at 200%, then down to 100% (2 parts thinner, one part paint, then one to one)

I have the best results from "NAPA" brand slow reducer/thinner, but have good results from City Mill (Our local hardware store) lacquer thinner.

The key is light coats, and let it flash out in between.

Nail polish has thousands of different colors, and are relatively cheap

I buy the .99 cents ones, unless the "Revlon" brands have a color I really want or need.

Just go with wife or girl friend to buy, those looks the girls at the counter give me heeby jeebies......

Just go with wife or girl friend to buy, those looks the girls at the counter give me heeby jeebies......

I don't get those looks, but then again, my wife has generally sent me in to pick up some feminine hygiene products. They usually ask if I have a brother who is single and just like me. LOL

Gregg has pretty much hit it right on the head as to thinning and spraying it with an airbrush. One thing I would like to add is, you may have to experiment a bit with your mixing ratios depending on the brand of fingernail polish and the brand of thinner you use. I use klean strip lacquer thinner. When I use Wet'N'Wild fingernail polish I use a 2:1 mix ratio. However, I recently sprayed with some Pure Ice fingernail polish I had to use a 4:1 then a 3:1 mix ratio to get it to spray right. One thing I have found is different brands have different viscosity in the bottle than others. If pictures would help, let me know, and I'll try to get some posted on here. Hope this helps.

Mageckman

I'm interested in pictures. I belong to another forum based on Kyosho's 1/28 scale RC cars and I had been asking theme about useing nail polish paints on the Mini-Z bodies. Nobody really had any answers for me so I guess none of theme really looked into nail polish for their RC bodies. By the way, these bodies are plastic much like your model cars, so please dont' get confused with Lexan.

I've seen alot of fascinating colors used for fingernails and have often thought they'd make great colors for cars. So, I'm very curious as to how to go about painting with this.

I'm also itching for an airbrush and would like some tips on it as well. Thank's!

I love shopping for feminine hygiene products, I always drop boxes of them in unsuspecting guy's shopping carts. Or condoms in women's shopping carts. I gotta get my kicks where I can. But that's not important right now.

The best thing I've found for nail polish thinner is Sangyo Gunze's Mr. Color Thinner. The next best thing is real automotive acrylic lacquer thinner, Dupont or PPG is fine. As for polish, the cheap 99¢ stuff is what I go for. Basically the same as the $6 stuff.

Bob

I love shopping for feminine hygiene products, I always drop boxes of them in unsuspecting guy's shopping carts. Or condoms in women's shopping carts. I gotta get my kicks where I can. But that's not important right now.

The best thing I've found for nail polish thinner is Sangyo Gunze's Mr. Color Thinner. The next best thing is real automotive acrylic lacquer thinner, Dupont or PPG is fine. As for polish, the cheap 99¢ stuff is what I go for. Basically the same as the $6 stuff.

Bob

So that's why I found a pair of panties in my shopping cart at Walmart. LOL! Just kidding, I agree, why pay $6 dollars for something when you can pay 99 cents for the same thing? I've thought of some of the burgendys, reds, dark maroon purples, dark pinks, pearls, et'c would make excellent colors for custom cars.

Was wondering if somebody can post pics of color-samples here? Not in the bottle as that's hard to judge, but pictures of models they have painted with nail paint?

Edited by FujimiLover

So that's why I found a pair of panties in my shopping cart at Walmart. LOL! Just kidding, I agree, why pay $6 dollars for something when you can pay 99 cents for the same thing? I've thought of some of the burgendys, reds, dark maroon purples, dark pinks, pearls, et'c would make excellent colors for custom cars.

Was wondering if somebody can post pics of color-samples here? Not in the bottle as that's hard to judge, but pictures of models they have painted with nail paint?

Thanks for the tip on the panties, I'll have to try that on some big biker type. Drop a size 6 set of frillies into a cart of a 300 lb 6'7" Hells Angels type. If I don't get caught, it'll be a Kodak moment when he gets to the checkout. Or the obituary of the local paper if I do get caught.

Check the dollar stores for the beat bargains. As long as the ingredients have nitrocellulose, butyl acetate in them, it's all the same.

Bob