Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Express closing

From their website:

Some of you might have heard that we will be closing our doors at the end of the year. It’s been a great 20 years in an exciting industry but I will be moving on to something new in 2013.

We have had many milestones over the years. We have shipped to every continent including Antarctica and as far north as North Pole, AK. The 60+ countries and many different cultures have kept the job (it was too much fun to be called a job) very interesting, even on the days when folks couldn’t quite understand the time zones involved and I would get calls in the middle of the night (we’re in the Pacific Time Zone). I enjoyed picking up snippets of many different languages (hej, terve, ciao, oi, hallo, kia ora, g’day) and getting corrected on my translated grammar. I even held onto my very first customer (Gerry Chevalier of Mini-Exotics) who showed me the inner workings of running a model/hobby business.

There are many special customers who I have corresponded with (phone, email, fax) and have enjoyed hearing of their home, job, and family situations as the years went by; kids growing up, career changes, moves to different parts of the country and so on.

I have begun the process of discounting my inventory and hopefully you will take advantage of the reduced pricing and get what you need before the items sell out completely.

God bless,

Dennis Krahn

This is like losing a brother! Dennis is a great person to work with and always is the first one I call when I need a kit or parts quick. I remember calling him on friday ordering and telling him the check will be in the mail on monday morning, I sent the check and got home from town to find the model on my steps. 2 mail days across the country is great.

Will miss him for sure.

I too am really disappointed,i've been a customer on and off for at least 10-12 years,was waiting to buy the 62 'corvette from him but it's not likely he'll be ordering any in, Dennis was always excellent to deal with and i wish him nothing but the best!.

:( .

Maybe the worst thing in Modeling, I've heard in many years time. :( Model Express is the one and only place overseas where I've bought kits. The customer service has been fantastic every time and they have amazing stuff for sale. Kits, aftermarket stuff, resin, decals and so on. Also they do have RARE kits, older kits........ There will not be an other one who says Terve and Kiitos when ordering kits and parts.

Very sad news indeed.

Now I gotta ask, is there any other place where I can buy older & newer kits, parts and aftermarket stuff at the same time? I mean that the shipping is very expensive, and it's cheaper to order more stuff from one place when you need to pay only one shipping instead of two (or three!) shippings.

Maybe I have to start looking for new place for kits and parts. I know only Model Round Up and some resin shops... Any others?

This is indeed disappointing, as I had just found out about them via some posts on this board. When I went to their site, I found a very good deal on a Corvette kit (body painted - salvageable, everything else untouched) and they were nice to deal with.

I didn't get the chance to know anybody associated with the business, but like others have said, I wish them well in all their future endeavors.