Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Goodyear Eagle GT tires now available

While I applaud youe ventures in tire casting, I would prefer to see these without the large sprue on the tread of the tire. I have seen others cast with no sprue at all, in a flexable compound, but am not familiar with the technique involved I realize the complexities involved in a casting like this; just wonderin if there might be an alternative method....'Z'

The only kit-based Radial T/As I can think of were those originally made by MPC (and occasionally found in some newer AMT kits).

Long story short, I'm being kind when I say the MPC tire's design and construction is mediocre when compared to the ARII T/As. Unfortunately, the ARII tires tend to look slightly out of scale on most 1/25 models,

The MPC BFG Radial T/A tires are similar to the Rally GT tires AMT issued with many of their kits, which is to say the tread blocks are heavy, too agressive for a performance street tire, and the scale of the tread makes the tires look like an off-road tire.

The Arii tires are 1/24 scale only, and you can tell they are out of scale on a 1/25 scale model. They also tend to have that odd "kinda close" look where the sidewall meets the tread area, and some come off looking overinflated...not good.

I think if Joeseph could make two different sizes in both 1/25 and 1/24 scale, he'd have a huge hit on his hands. I know that's a ton of work, but he clearly has an eye for details and that is much appreciated. :)

If the Arii Radial T/A's are good overall, they can be shrunk to 1/25 scale by taking a mold of one with a high-shrink silicone (Mold Max 30), casting a copy in a high-shrink resin (Alumilite fast) and then making another mold of that casting to make the actual parts to go on the model. That should reduce the size enough to get the tire to look right in 1/25 scale while keeping the detail. The scale difference is about 4%, and each of those steps is worth between 1 to 1.5 percent or so.

I like the casting block because it creates a realistic contact patch for the tire when the block is removed. The casting blocks are not permanently attached to these Eagle GT tire masters, so I could make them in a flexible back plastic if needed. If there were enough demand then I could do that, but they would cost more and the white letters would have to be painted. I much prefer the rigid resin because I'd rather paint the tires exactly the way I want them with any type of paint.

Monty, I have no estimate of when anything will be available. I quit trying to announce availability of new parts a long time ago; it seemed like whenever I would say something would be available at a certain date, some calamity would derail all my planning. I have some projects that are now years behind their original schedule!

The MPC BFG Radial T/A tires are similar to the Rally GT tires AMT issued with many of their kits, which is to say the tread blocks are heavy, too agressive for a performance street tire, and the scale of the tread makes the tires look like an off-road tire.

The Arii tires are 1/24 scale only, and you can tell they are out of scale on a 1/25 scale model. They also tend to have that odd "kinda close" look where the sidewall meets the tread area, and some come off looking overinflated...not good.

I think if Joeseph could make two different sizes in both 1/25 and 1/24 scale, he'd have a huge hit on his hands. I know that's a ton of work, but he clearly has an eye for details and that is much appreciated. :)

Casey, I agree that AMT should've taken a little more time with their rendition of the Rally GT. It could've been a great pre-radial street tire.

You and I also agree that the Arii tires appear oversized on 1/25 scale models. OTOH, the Arii's side script, which is what most people will notice first if painted correctly, is dead nuts on, especially when compared to MPC's tire.

Revell found a way to mold legible script on their '70s funny car front tires, so getting a more accurate rendering of the BFGoodrich lettering shouldn't have been that tough for MPC.

If Chief Joseph finds a way to pull off two tires sizes in each scale, I know I wouldn't be the only one trying to deplete his inventory. I guess my only recourse is to wait (impatiently) and wish him all the best in his experiments with shrinking resins.

I just wanted to share my experiences with these items. I ordered a few sets of these tires via email last week, and they arrived at my door yesterday afternoon. The items were perfectly packed with no damage, and the castings themselves were virtually perfect - no pinholes or voids and very little flash. I can heartily recommend these to anyone!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I received a set of Joseph's 1/24 Goodyear Eagle GT tires today. They are fantastic! The set I purchased are cast in black rubber and look way better and far more accurate then the 1/24 Monogram kit tires.

Don't hesitate to order tires from Joseph. His communication is excellent and I received them in record time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...