Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sneak Peek At What's On The Bench!!

RatRod

Here is the latest project bike. I have been challenged to a bike build on another forum, so I 'll show the progress here.... B) When the bikes are finished we will exchange the bikes, that way 2 winners!! He is a drag racer down under so I wanted to build a modern street bike with a vintage drag bike style. Here's a few shots of the early mock up....

P3050002.jpg

P3070003.jpg

P3070002.jpg

Shhhhhhhh, mum's the word..... :)

Ratrod, there are many talented builders here on this site, but you are one of the builders that I am always eager to see with new topics. I am so inspired by the work that you are doing with R/M choppers that I ran out and bought a bunch of the kits. One day I will actually get the guts to take a razor saw to them. None the less, this project bike is just as impressive as all the other ones you have blessed us to view. Keep up the great work.

Thanks guys, this one will be wild!!! I cut the frame apart, and stretched it out quite a bit, the entire upper frame is scratch built, along with the oil & fuel tank mounts. The forks were shortened in three places to get the right ride height. The aluminum oil & fuel tanks were turned in my Makita gear drive drill using a good file, sanding sticks, and triple grit polisher, but I'm keeping a spun look to all the aluminum. Also the wheels were made by cutting out the centers, and making solid thick sheet plastic centers, with aluminum sheet inserts that were spun in my drill.....and away we go!!!

Ratrod, there are many talented builders here on this site, but you are one of the builders that I am always eager to see with new topics. I am so inspired by the work that you are doing with R/M choppers that I ran out and bought a bunch of the kits. One day I will actually get the guts to take a razor saw to them. None the less, this project bike is just as impressive as all the other ones you have blessed us to view. Keep up the great work.

I can only second this comment. I did actually start one of the revell choppers due to your inspiriation. Not to hi-jack your thread, but here is my take. I gotta work out how to get it to sit lower.

chopper1.jpg

I look forward to your updates as they keep me movtivated to work on mine. Yours newest will definitely blow away the receiptiant. He is one lucky guy.

Tony & Ken, I'm glad my builds inspire you, and anytime you have a question, feel free to ask!!! Ken, your bike is looking great!!! Love the tank work. To lower that soft tail cut a 1/8" section out of the upper bar, and make a pie cut in the lower joint, and then put it back together, that will lower the rear of the bike. The forks your using have really long legs, you could probably take a good 3/8" out of just the legs alone (I took a 1/4" out of the legs in the above bike) Just remember that when you start lowering take small amounts until your bike sits level and balanced. I got faith you can do it!!!

The tank construction is completely ripped off from you. Just sheet plastic sandwhiched together. Then I just carved away anything that didn't look like the tank I wanted B) Putty also helps smooth things out. Yeah, the front forks are really long. I actually switched them out for a set out of one of the other bikes, which one escapes me right now. That lowered the front end enough. I thought about sectioning the upper bar and pie cutting the lower. Of course, then that leads to repositioning the belt drive and such, but it should be too much work :D Keep the updates coming and I will try to start my own thread on mine to keep you apprised of the going ons. Thanks for the ideas.

Got a little more done on the mock up today. Scratch built a seat, handlebars, small headlight, and that wicked fuel injection unit!! I also got the fuel, and oil tank caps turned. Still have several small details to make, the it's off to paint, and final assembly..... :lol:

P1010001-1.jpg

Tony, your correct on the handlebar size 3/32", but most of the frame work is the thicker, nicer pieces of sprue from the kits!!! I do use 1/8" rod, like the support under the seat, but the Revell frame is bigger than 1/8", so the sprue plastic seams a tad closer. I don't think either company Plastruct, or Evergreen make a rod 5/32" (which might be a little to big) It works!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, no updates as yet, I haven't had time lately to do any work on this build since I went back to work (funny how that works....lol) I do need to get it done pretty quick though, and will post the finished product when I do!!!