Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car box top art MEGATHREAD

Hey AzTom, thanks so much. Is this a 1975?

I'm not sure what year it is, Sorry

The yellow 89 I posted earlier was also made as a 1990, Corvette did not make the 89 ZR-1 and rumor was corvette had Ertl destroy the 89's but couldn't have been all of them. The Corvette pros on here may be of more help.

The yellow 89 I posted earlier was also made as a 1990, Corvette did not make the 89 ZR-1 and rumor was corvette had Ertl destroy the 89's but couldn't have been all of them. The Corvette pros on here may be of more help.

Wow, that's an amazing story; I'm sure those 89 ZR-1 kits must be almost as valuable as the real cars, ha ha. Also, pretty sure that blue Vette is a 75, as the box art style looks very similar to AMT's red 75 coupe.

Lastly, I just updated the galleries with 14 new pics. Thanks to all for your awesome contributions:

14_kits.jpg

Only Plymouth, Willys and Studebaker remain, unless I've forgotten any American auto companies?

Stef, I should have noted the Linberg Corvette is 1/18 scale.

Here is the 57 Checkerboard, Walmart Exclusive box. At least I didn't see it with the other 57's???

KitAmt57chevy_31798-vi.jpg

And a better photo of the 32 Chevy

KitAmt32chevy_6508-vi.jpg

Tom

Stef:

I sent another pix to you via e-mail for your Chrysler gallery, a '66 Imperial.

Your work on this project continues to be AWESOME!

The only problem is that seeing all of the photos of those great old kits is driving me NUTS because I don't have them!

Mike

Hey W-409 and ToyLvr, thank you for the pics; I just added them to the galleries, in addition to 10 other kits:

12_kits.jpg

This concludes uploading my collection of nearly 3500 images of American model kits, and I will continue to update the galleries with new images of missing kits and better images of crappy pics as they get posted in this thread.

My goal is to someday make up a huge poster, say 24" x 36", of all these model kits, cropped and cleaned up. Thanks again everyone, and keep the images coming!

Take care.

Edited by Stef

If AMT '89 ZR-1 kits are that rare then its time to sell the four in my stash and retire. I think you may have the story between kits & promos mixed up. About 3000 '89 ZR-1 promos were produced then recalled and destroyed, it is thought that about 50 survived and no I don't have one only wish I did. BTW the '89 ZR-1 kit carried a stock number of 6277 and the '90 one carried a large sticker on the box that said 1990 and its stock number was 6073.

Since you have some kits that are same kit in different box, will AirFix Pontiac Funny Car qualify? You have MPC version of that kit, and AirFix is the same but with different box. If you'd like to add this one, let me know and I'll take a better picture of the box art. I have never seen another one in the Internet. :blink:

P1010290.jpg

Hey W-409, oh yes, please DO upload all your Airfix MPC reissues. Earlier, I'd come across MPC's "SaberVette" rebadged as an Airfix kit, and I wrongly assumed it was a Photoshop cuz I knew it was originally an MPC. Upload as many Airfix kits as you have, and I'll add them in.

Also, seeing this awesome Burnout Bird again just made me remember that I totally forgot about MPC's Corvette versions of this kit! I loved the "Firefighter" and "NitroVette", which used the same chassis. I just found images, and I'll upload everything ASAP. Thanks, dude!

We now have nearly 3600 kits! Keep 'em comin!

Here are some kits I found that are not on the list. Or then I didn't see them, that's possible too. :wacko:

But anyway, I'll delete those pics when you get those you don't have moved into your Photobucket. There are some AirFix kits that you have as MPC versions, too. http://public.fotki.com/NostalgicDrag/model-box-tops/

And will Dragster kits qualify? Or then European cars that are in Gasser etc form?

Hey W-409, thanks for the pics! This reminds me, I have three Henry J kits to upload. What company should I list them under? Weren't they bought out by Ford or something? Certainly, Henry J wouldn't merit having it's own gallery, would it?

As for dragsters, I wasn't really interested in including them, cuz I find they're so far removed from real, actual cars, and I feel pretty much the same about NASCAR, Indy and sprint racers, dune buggies, diggers, monster trucks, one-off show cars, salt flats record breakers, Euro, Japanese and that sort of thing. No disrespect to anyone, I just had to set limits to the scope of this project. However, I have included many funny cars, gassers, altereds, early modifieds and NASCARs, driven in part by my own romantic nostalgia for these kits!

Will post more updates ASAP. Thanks, guys! Could NOT have done this without you! Keep 'em comin'!

Actually I have no clue either about the Henry J. Maybe someone else knows this better... :D

I thought that there's something like that with the Dragsters, since I didn't see any. I think we all need to thank you for doing this project! B)