Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see some scratchbuilt things?

mopar68

I have no clue how to get the photos here from my photobucket under my profile here but there is a few to see there.

If someone would like to for me please do...thanks

I always go to bottom of this page and to the right their is the button more reply options click it, in a separate window login to photobucket and click on

picture - to the right of it click in the box marked image it will say copied go back to forum page left click then right click and hit paste my computer

ask to access clipboard press yes and the link shows up and hit post... Hope this helps lol......

I don't even log in to my Photobucket to post them here. And I just use the

links from the pic itself in photobucket.

Open the album, and hover your mouse on th epic you want,

See the little Gear that pops up in the top right corner of th epic your mouse cursor is on?

Click on that, see the "Get Links" and click that. Choose the "IMG Codes for Forum Boards"

click on that link and it will go Yellow & read "Copied"

Simply "Right-Click" in the message and Choose "Paste"

That will embed th epic into your message.

To verify it worked you can 'Preview' before Posting the message.

This way is a little easier than the one above.

At least for me it is!

Hey Robert

Revell put out the Kurtis Midget kits in two engine options - the Offy & the Edlebrock V8. They had two different noses & grills & thoughtfully provided both in each kit so I had spares !!

The T Bucket came from the AMT '25 T Coupe kit. This has to be one of the most built kits of all time & probably worth a thread of it's own!!

Funny thing was that the bonnets (sorry ... hoods) from both a T & an A didn't need much modification to fit the track noses. Then I thought about how they did it in the old days & I can see how an old hood laying around would be a good starting point for a nose cone.

This is the Offy nose

DSCF1155.jpg

The Edlebrock V8 nose

DSCF2443.jpg

And if you can't get 3 models out of the AMT kit then you aren't trying !! Along with the Nascar T these are the other two from the same box

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1129.jpg

Have a good one

Brian

I'm gonna scratchbuild a Winnebago. They are pretty much all flat or single radius curves.

I've got plans. I've got the siding. I've even got a chassis and wheels. All I need is to finish more of my many WIPs to clear up some time and space.

Or I suppose I could just start anyway...

Here's as couple of different scratch built project. The engine is a 5.9l cummins turbo diesel that I'm now resin casting. Only things not scratched on it are the FRONT PART of the tranny, tranny pan, and a few pulleys on the belt - those came from the parts box and the rear section of tranny is scratched. The utility bed is 100% scratch and is going to be a bucket truck bed when done. The turret for the boom arm is going to be mostly brass components.

post-12368-0-13991200-1384340894_thumb.j

post-12368-0-98924400-1384340916_thumb.j

post-12368-0-56124900-1384340972_thumb.j

crazyrichard deserves a defense, especially for making that English Wheel! So here goes ... :)

First, to qualify myself, I'm a structural engineer and I've designed a few thousand concrete floors of all types, especially industrial. There is one thing about concrete, it is designed to crack ... there's not necessarily anything wrong if it does. Concrete slabs on grade are rarely intended to support machinery ... it's the machinists that think a concrete floor can support anything! (sorry richard, :) )

Concrete cracks as a result of shrinkage as the water evaporates. The groves cut into a grid, as seen in richard's floor, are called control joints and are done when the concrete is still soft. The idea is for the shrinkage cracks to develop at these thinner locations and not be so visible.

A concrete floor is only as strong as the soil it sits on. There are rigid tests to insure the soil is properly prepared. The lack of this preparation is the reason for most of the "random" cracks you see in concrete slabs as the soil settles over time and the slab sags and cracks over this soft soil.

So the lack of cracks in richard's machine shop floor signifies he had it constructed properly and may even had the slab thickened in the area of his equipment for proper support! I doubt I'll be called to investigate this floor for cracking. ! :)

i just loved this text hahahaha :)

btw the reason i didnt make cracs was more the fact it looked overdone , like too much .. i did some but later filled them again .. it looks too artificial ..

still thinking of making a real concrete floor for the next garage dio ... cant get any more realistic then that right :)

ps i saw some cool stuff in here !!

that made me think the servicestation i'm building now is also scratchbuild :) haha .. and i'm doing a nother concrete floor on this one , only difference its outside

still in the begin fase with building >

the only thing not sratchbuild is that roof , that came of a toy gasstation (will be altered later on)

1451592_379051348894448_789153400_n.jpg

oh and a rough start on some old glass top pumps , will get wat more detail , only made of glue caps and 2 pens , oh and the rods of 2 cuetips hahaha

482429_378274488972134_640973050_n.jpg

scratchbuild chassis and rear suspension with airbags for my current project > ford tudow , chopped the top and chenneled the body , opened up the roof

1384057_369868853146031_892345682_n.jpg

1374276_369868946479355_978851454_n.jpg

oh and the supercharged v8 is about 80% scratchbuild

1379835_369869179812665_938496233_n.jpg

Edited by crazyrichard

This is such a great thread.

Not sure if I've posted any of my diorama or not but here goes.

The sink in the lower left is made entirely out of printing plate and basswood. There's even a small screen in the drain.

IMG_2774.jpg

In this pic, you can see the scratchbuilt dyno machine and shelving.

IMG_2775.jpg

And here is the Reznor heater made from styrene with aluminum fins and tubing on the interior.

IMG_5980sm.jpg

The pegboard has over 200 drilled out holes. Notice the folded up newspaper and pack of Marlboro's?

IMG_7323sm.jpg

And finally, the office. The door is made from aluminum channel, printing plate and printable acetate that has lettering on it as well as the window. The water cooler is also scratchbuilt and the bottle is a clear screwdriver handle I rounded out with my drill. Over time it has discolored though. Most of this dio is over 20 years old. The cup holder on the side even has a site window. The office gal had to go see her plastic surgeon and get enhanced. :)

IMG_7319sm.jpg

This is one of my favorite threads. I look forward to new posts every day.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks alot Chris. I really had alot of fun collecting and making items for this and putting it together. I may do another one the same size that connects to this one through the door on the left side in front of the office. I'm thinking one that has a lift or two with parts storage in the back along with a brake turning machine and possibly a lathe.

I'm gonna scratchbuild a Winnebago. They are pretty much all flat or single radius curves.

I've got plans. I've got the siding. I've even got a chassis and wheels. All I need is to finish more of my many WIPs to clear up some time and space.

Or I suppose I could just start anyway...

What are you going to use for siding? I haven't found anything commercially available that matches Winnebago siding. I've drawn up a Winnebago Chieftain on AutoCad, just haven't started it yet. I need more chassis and underside shots. Can't wait to see yours!

I found some siding that i plan to use on my vintage trailer that I found at the LHS. I can't remember exactly the style off hand but I'll show some pics of my progress. I've been working on the interior components and will eventually move on to the exterior. Probably building this out of sequence but I'll get it to work out. Since this is all scratchbuilt, it fits right in here.

GalleyCabinet.jpg

StreetsideCabinets-1.jpg

And here's a floorplan.

FloorPlan.jpg

Still lots to do and I plan to make it really lived in without going overboard.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Tom. I have a few hours into it and probably not as many as you'd think since I've got everything planned out to scale in advance. I really need to get back to this one but my bench needs clearing of a couple of other builds in the way. I have a thread on this build on here.

Here's the link if you want to go through it:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48138&hl=