Model Cars Magazine Forum

Catch the Bug!

Turbotoll

Great subject matter and a very nice looking build you have there. I remember back in the late 70's going to my local track and watching a VW bug called "Thunder Bug" that had a Porshe 914 engine in it tear up the track. It was a 1/8 strip but I cannot remember the times it ran but I vividly recall how high the driver turned up the rpms on the starting line......The sound was unreal and it seemed to jump off the starting line like it was on springs. Great build you've posted and thanks for jogging my memory.

Nice Bug! I really like it, the color, wheel choice etc look really good! I also like the exhaust pipe, just like real VW Drag Car exhaust pipes are. Nice build!

We had one Drag Racing VW Bug here in Finland too in the Late '70s. It was called Hitler's Revenge.

Thanks. These bugs are still a big hit in arguably Europe’s largest drag racing venue in Hockenheim Germany where they can get the crowds on their feet racing American muscle. National pride I guess.

The mint green paint I colored this in came from a spray can I found stuck in a hedge on my way home from my local watering hole one night. Now I’m not saying it was ditched by some graffiti artist getting rid of the evidence in a hurry but it certainly looked that way…