Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replica in Miniature Go Cart

heres one i built some time ago:

kartontrailerfromabove2.jpg

niceoverallfromrearleft.jpg

it builds up quite nicely and goes together at least as well as the original did. the shell requires a bit of special handling when painting because it is so thin. excellent deal as is the triumph motorcycle from similar origins:

bikeprofile.jpg

hey joe:

> is the trailer from revell's midget kit or built up?

yeah i modified it some to work better with the kart but basically just added a floor section to the back and changed the guard rails. i had been wanting to use one of those trailers for something besides the midget and this one fit the bill.

the photo of the kart above made me gulp a little bit...i paid 44 for it last time i bought one so if they are now 80$ thats pretty significant. totally worth it still but a pretty good chunk of change to lay down. quality is certainly top drawer all the way though. building this resin kart caused me to try to round up an original styrene one and i have slowly gathered the pieces including the chrome plated parts that are just plain resin in the resin set. i have a couple of painted shells already squirreled away that need to be stripped and repainted so i hope to get to these one day here soon.

my friend tim king also did a repop of the original back before RMM did their vastly superior one. as you can see here, tim's needs a whole lot more cleanup but i do think he remastered or added a couple of new pieces. still one is much better off with the repandmin version for sure.

threeinarow.jpg

here are collected up parts for a styrene original version, note the chrome:

realthingx.jpg

and here is tim kings earlier attempt, i was going to build this until norms came along and of course tims version does not include the bonneville style outer shell. on the other hand i think he only wanted 20$ or so for this kit:

kingsrepop.jpg

anyway it was a great subject and if only AMT could or would once again offer these two items it would be joy joy joy.