Model Cars Magazine Forum

389 Pontiac motor?

Just bought a 65 GTO model to build like one I owned. This model is old school and I'd like to find a more detailed motor for the kit. I found a Ross Gibson 455 motor and wonder if that would be close enough to pass as a 389? Other kit motors?

Just bought a 65 GTO model to build like one I owned. This model is old school and I'd like to find a more detailed motor for the kit. I found a Ross Gibson 455 motor and wonder if that would be close enough to pass as a 389? Other kit motors?

A Pontiac 389 and 455 are virtually the same externally, so you could theoretically use that 455 if it doesn't represent a highly-optioned race motor. As Riley said, the 389 in Revell's 1966 GTO is very nice and is probably a better choice than the Gibson motor.

That sounds good. Another kit is cheaper than the Ross Gibson motor. Would the 66 have the nice detailing decals with it, like for the body trim and dash panel? That would be a double plus to go that way.

Edited by Johnt671

Steven, I would tend to agree with you on detailing, and while I can do an OK job on some details, my eyes and hands aren't has sharp as they once were, and most detailing on body trim can't match decals for realism. I've done two models now with BMF and that stuff is the best.

Riley, nice model.

Edited by Johnt671

The Revell Pontiac 421 Parts Pack engine, plentiful and cheap, makes an excellent choice as a starting point for all the Poncho V8s from 1955 thru 1981.

DSCN4808.jpg

DSCN9608_zpsa89adcd1.jpg

that is a nice engine to start with but I have to find a decent source for auto trans for pontiac blocks, I had a 68 bird with a short shaft turbo400 and most pontiac kit engines only come with 4sp manual.