Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72 GMC Stepside

crazyjim

I'm a little diappointed in my first airbrush painting. I covered the turck with HOK silver base and then shot HOK gold base on the lower panels and around the wheelwells. I then finished with HOK Tangelo pearl. The plan was to see the difference in the basecoats through the pearl. Maybe I put on too much of the pearl.

I did the valve stems a little different this time. I drilled each Pegasus 23" Phat Daddy wheel and glued in a piece of 3/8" hardline from Scale Dreams. I then put a drop of Mirco Krystal Klear on the tip of each stem. When dry I painted the tip orange to match the interior/engine/inside of box. I used Avanti headlights that were drilled out and clear lenses glued in. The rear fenders had to be widened to cover the tires.

100_1757.jpg

100_1759.jpg

100_1761.jpg

100_1762.jpg

100_1763.jpg

I'm a little diappointed in my first airbrush painting. I covered the turck with HOK silver base and then shot HOK gold base on the lower panels and around the wheelwells. I then finished with HOK Tangelo pearl. The plan was to see the difference in the basecoats through the pearl. Maybe I put on too much of the pearl.

I did the valve stems a little different this time. I drilled each Pegasus 23" Phat Daddy wheel and glued in a piece of 3/8" hardline from Scale Dreams. I then put a drop of Mirco Krystal Klear on the tip of each stem. When dry I painted the tip orange to match the interior/engine/inside of box. I used Avanti headlights that were drilled out and clear lenses glued in. The rear fenders had to be widened to cover the tires.

]

I like it Jim not my usual favor of trucks but I still like it.

Thank you Nick and Bradley.

Bradley - you must be a Vietnam Vet to recognize the ribbon. I've started putting one on every build I complete. I hand painted a bunch but have since made some in my graphics package along with a bunch of other license plates (after the article in the December MCM). I need to fill a whole page before printing though.

Very nice looking truck..nice and clean. I am not surprised about the HOK Tangelo paint...it is not very translucent. The orange looks great on it and, even though I would have thought so, those wheels look very nice on the truck. I like the Vietnam Service Ribbon on the license plate, I have my ribbons on my bookshelf in my office, Anyone who has those ribbons really earned them. Anyway, very nice paint for your first airbrush attempt.

Great looking truck, even though the paint wasnt what You planned, still looks good. Paint can be a funny thing, its when You dont plan a certain effect, You get it. It happened to me a few times. And anyone who served in any war, thanks so much for Your service. My friend's uncle was in Vietnam, and the stories he told, man You guys earned all the ribbons in the world and more !

If you wouldn't have told us, we'd never have known... :D

Next time tell us it turned out exactly the way you hoped it would. :lol:

These trucks have great lines, and I think you did great job on the headlights and tube grille. I've seen so many Stull-style tube grilles, but they have so many tubes it kills the look. Your grille has just the right balance of bars and negative space, IMHO- restraint worked very well on this grille.

Edited by Casey

Thank you al for the positive comments.

Peter & George - WELCOME HOME!! Don't know if you guys are into the Vietnam Veteran community, but you need to be part of something to get news that's important to Vietnam Veterans. Peter, you're not too far from Washington, DC. We'll be spending Father's Day up there (if the snow ever melts) with SDIT. That's Sons & Daughters In Touch. Their fathers were killed in Vietnam. It rips your heart out when they ask you to walk over to The Wall and they introduce you to their father. It worth every tear that's shed. Their fathers, but our brothers.

Jim, I am afraid that I am not a Vietnam Vet, but I do recognize service ribbons (I spent 4 years in Uncle Sams Yaght Club fixing and flying his aircraft) and hold all vets in high regard. Those who have never served nor sacrificed for their country do not understand the immense amount of respect fostered in that community (this is not a slight to those who haven't served, just an observation on my part), and I for one am honored to be in the company of those who have served before me, and those of a higher skill level than my own.

The truck looks great, and I would be proud to call it my work...be proud to call it yours.

Times have changed Bradley. Back in April 1971 when I returned to The World, it wasn't very popular to be a Veteran. I took a job at Western Electric and people thought I was weird because I looked for a hole at sudden loud sounds. I went to meetings and had to sit in the back corner because I needed to see the room and the door. I never told anyone that I has served in Vietnam. That changed in November 1982 when I attended the dedication of The Wall in DC. I joined the Veteran Community that day and have taken an active role in it since. Have you noticed that presently serving troops and Veterans are treated with the respect they deserve? That's because we (Vietnam Veterans) were somehow able to teach the citizens of our great country that they need to honor the warrior and those that serve no matter what conflict the country is engaged in.

My most bestest friend is Navy - 4 years on tugboat (Ashtabulla? I think the city is in Ohio). I'm a Marine. When the USMC song starts he does the M I C K E Y M O U S E thing. Okay. Fine. But then the Navy song starts and I do Roo, row, row your boat . . . We have a great time. We love each other like the brothers we are.

I know. Long winded. Just tell me to shut up.

No need to shut up............HooRah brother.

Just because the war is unpopular doesn't mean you have to spit on those serving in it. How was that put....."War is talked about by Old men and politicians and fought by the young." If politicians were forced to serve (in an enlisted role, so they can get the whole 'on the ground' experience), there would be less war, or more efficiently fought wars. Politics, while starting the war, has no place in it.

A society that does not honor its warriors will soon be overtaken by one that does......I believe this to be true.

Anyway, enough rambling....back to the regularly scheduled model, already in progress.

Edited by whale392

Buddy - I tried getting a real close shot of the valve stem but it's all a blur. I drilled the wheel and using Micro Krystal Klear, glued a piece of 3/8" scale wire. When that dried, I used the Micro Krystal Klear again to form a drop on the end of the wire. I set the wheel with the stem at the top. When it dried I painted the glue - it turns clear when dry. I'll try more pics but can't promise anything.

Hello sir, using the HOK pearls, generally you want just a straight white base if you want the color to come out bright. Using the HOK bases such as silver, golds and other colors are mostly the foundation for the Kandy's. The Kandy's are translucent so all the metalic and the depth of the color comes from what is under it. I hope that helps for the future, you can search the post under my name here and a few of what models are posted are done in HOK paints. There is a green van you can look at that is Organic Green over Orion Silver, Planet Green, Zenith and Solar gold and Pearl White. The pic is not the best but it will give you an idea of what one color will do over the different bases, Kandy's that is. Great build though!