Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Ford Custom 2'n1

One thing I never understood from a design standpoint- why does the bumper stand so far away from the body, necessitating that huge splash pan to cover the gap? :blink:

Hard to tell exactly from the box art photos, but it looks like Revell has the front bumper too far forward and too big just like they did with the '56 Del Ray and Nomad. :rolleyes: I'll know for sure when I get one.

http://www.1957ford....c=i0014097f.jpg

Okay, how 'bout this interpretation of the "BENT EIGHT" decal:

The graphic before the lettering is a "bomb", so it reads:

A...bomb...bent..ate

or

"Abominate"

Webster's definition: "Something greatly disliked or abhorred; aversion or loathing".

Which seems appropriate for the name of a drag car!

Chuck,

Very cool... my '70 Grande was my second car, (after a '68 VW Bug that I bought from my folks). My Grande was a T-5 Grande; no Mustang plaques or logos anywhere on the body of the car. I purchased it from a Army Lieutenant who bought it brand-new in Feb. of 1970 in Germany, when he was stationed there. He drove it throughout Germany for over 2 years, (had a few stories about driving it really fast on the Autobahn!), then, because he loved the car so much, had it shipped back to the states when his commission was completed in Germany.

It had a 351 Windsor, console-shift automatic, deluxe Grande interior package, air conditioning, power steering & brakes and an unusual half-vinyl roof. I loved that car; wish I still had it because T-5's were unusual then, and are really unusual today!

Of all the '12 releases, this is the one looking closest to target, to me.

Stop it. <_< We haven't see the mold seams on the body shell yet. :lol: :lol:

What do you suppose the "BENT EIGHT" drag decal with the lit bomb artwork refers to?

It looks like the characters inside the bomb are "270 h.p."?

Okay, how 'bout this interpretation of the "BENT EIGHT" decal:

The graphic before the lettering is a "bomb", so it reads:

A...bomb...bent..ate

or

"Abominate"

Webster's definition: "Something greatly disliked or abhorred; aversion or loathing".

Which seems appropriate for the name of a drag car!

'Bent eight' is just a slang term for a V8. I think you might be reading a little too far into it... even though when you think about it your explaination makes sense. B)

I just bought two of these today on Ebay - I should have them in the next week or so and I am REALLY looking forward to getting them. I'll likely buy several more if the kit is as nice as it is supposed to be. One will be a police car and the other, a daily driver.. :D

I just bought two of these today on Ebay - I should have them in the next week or so and I am REALLY looking forward to getting them. I'll likely buy several more if the kit is as nice as it is supposed to be. One will be a police car and the other, a daily driver.. :D

Are you sure that wasn't a pre order? Who was the seller?

57details.jpg

Yes?:

57_Ford_Fireball_Roberts_DV_05_Amelia_02.jpg

Isn't it interesting that the parts trees pictured from the 2011 iHobby show have parts for a Paxton supercharger but the box art and built ups from the 2012 iHobby show don't include the Paxton in either build ???

Yes, it seems a bit like the '62 Vette kit, where future parts are shown, even though they aren't included in the first release/version of the kit.

I just got mine on the way home from work today. It looks pretty good for a first glance. I am on the way out in just a few minutes, so I won't be able to take pictures until late tonight. (Hopefully somebody with a better photo setup can take some decent pictures of it.) It looks really nice for the most part. The F O R D letters in front of the hood are molded in, but they are pretty fine. very thin laquer paint jobs are the only way to go with these newer models I guess. The chrome is fantastic. The grill is molded open, and may be the nicest thing I have seen in a kit in a long time. The motor parts look good and crisp, and I didn't see any real obvious warts in my five minute glance at the kit. The decal sheet is pretty nice, but it has the wheel cover trim. Luckily this is already cast into the wheelcovers, so all you need is a really steady hand and a fine brush.

The oither really interesting thing on the decal sheet is the upholstery pattern for the interior. I am not sure how the real car was done, but the seats in the model are smooth with no surface texture (But all of the details and piping are nicely molded in. ) There are decals for the panels and seat parts with the textures. At first, I thought that this would only work for silver/grey interiors, but I have just looked for pictures, and I see a red interior with the silver and grey panels on the seats and doors. Did all of the interior colors come with the same contrasting panels in the two tone interiors?

Lots of really fine and fragile looking parts for the chassis, engine bay and interior too. Everything looks to be very well molded and detailed. There is a very fine parting line running across the curved part of the trunk lid, but it is nowhere near any details and should be easy to remove. I don't see any real cleanup problems with this kit. It should build up very nicely. At a first glance, it looks like a major winner.

Just picked up the new '57 Ford last night. It is everything I think we have hoped for and more. The level of tooling is out standing. I realy do not want to "dis" what Revell has given us, but ther is a couple of points that a Showroom Stock builder in perticular will want to research. First off I personaly owned two different '57 Fords when they were just late model cars. One of theme happened to be this very body style and engine and transmission combo, so I feel that I have a better than average knowledge of the subject. To start the colors called for in the instructions are a little misleading on some iteams. On the engine it calls for a gold color for the steel fuel lines, and the oil filter which was a black metal can with the filter inside. The valve covers where black with a Ford stylized decal on them. The air filter was a semi gloss silver. One iteam on the engine that was omitted on the engine block was the "road draft tube" that all engines of the day used. This was on the drivers side of the block in front of the motor mount. It contained a small replacable filter and a tube extending into the air flow under the car. In later years these cars had to be retrofitted for emissions reasons and their prototype might of had this removed. The interior color callouts are somewhat missleading. The base interior of this car usually had the seats and door panels covered in a light gray/silver color, but the kits interior decals look spot on. The dash would be a semi glossy silver/gray. The kits dash also has the correct trim for the radio area. This was a silver plastic material and the area across the dash was painted white. The steering column should be black as well as the steering wheel. The only trim on the wheel at this level for the horn button would be a silver paint. This is not a Fairlane , so think of Ford offering an entry level car. All of this knitpicky stuff out of the way. This is a fantastic kit even if you don't like Fords. I can't say enough good about this kit.

Mark, Picked it up at my local model shop. They had just got them in. Greg, There doesn't seem to be a washer bag. That would of been an option on this level of car. My other '57 was a Fairlane convertable and had the plastic bag on the drivers inner fender. As I recall it was mainly red with some white trim at the top and FORD all over it.