Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where can I find PlastiKote primer?

744667BA-D675-4C7B-A2D7-A0672D931336-4589-0000062482BB89CA.jpg

alclad II primer ends your search. if you have an air brush that is. it replaced my tamiya and 17 cans of other rattle can primers. no decanting. no mess. precision spray from your gun. wont cover details while filling small scratches. a 4 oz bottle goes a long way i have done 5 models on 2/3 of a bottle.

I've generally found Plasti-Kote at CarQuest stores. VIP Discount Auto Parts also carries it locally to New England. Pep Boys used to carry it. Occasionally, I do see Plasti-Kote sandable lacquer primer at either Michael's or A.C. Moore (I can't remember which right now,) which is essentially their automotive primer, but a shade thinner and at about half the price.

Interesting tip about the Al-Clad primer. I might try a bottle of that.

Charlie Larkin

alclad II primer ends your search. if you have an air brush that is. it replaced my tamiya and 17 cans of other rattle can primers. no decanting. no mess. precision spray from your gun. wont cover details while filling small scratches. a 4 oz bottle goes a long way i have done 5 models on 2/3 of a bottle.

Gary, I see that this is a lacquer. Can you verify whether it will protect plastic from the crazing caused by automotive-type lacquer paints? I ask because Tamiya's primer is some kind of modified lacquer, but to the best of my knowledge, does not prevent lacquer crazing.

Gary, I see that this is a lacquer. Can you verify whether it will protect plastic from the crazing caused by automotive-type lacquer paints? I ask because Tamiya's primer is some kind of modified lacquer, but to the best of my knowledge, does not prevent lacquer crazing.

Monty, Plasti-Kote is plastic-safe. I've used it for years and haven't had any crazing issues except once and that was my fault (slightly heavy coat.)

i wont be able to test this because i don't use auto paints. the wife just wont put up with the smell

If you can paint outside, that helps solve that problem. Lacquers also work better in cooler temperatures. Just be sure to warm the can a little under running warm water before going outside so that it doesn't get too cold too quickly.

If painting outdoors isn't an option for you, point a large box-fan outside from your cellar, garage or what have you with the door open. It vents out fairly quickly.

You could also get a new wife. :lol:

Charlie

Charlie i could never trade in my wife

1. the cost would be to high and i could not afford models any more

2. she never says anything when i buy kits even though i have more than could put together.

3. she is way hotter than me. i could not score one as sweet

i dont use auto paint because of the smell. i dont like it. i do use the alclad over dupa because of the easy of use. both are good. one is easier to use and find

Edited by lanesteele240

• 3 months later...

Looking to buy Plastikote sandable primer. I always found it to work best a couple years back before I took a break. I have checked Walmart, Advanced Auto, and the local parts store. I know I use to get it at one of those places...but none seem to carry it now. Does anyone know of a major chain based store that carries it?

Yea I'm kinda wondering too. Been trying some other brands of primer but they're either too hot, too thick, way to thick, putty, or not sandable with any sandpaper I know of. PlasiKote Sandable Primer was the best stuff, but I don't seem to be able to find it locally anymore either!

CarQuest is the only place in my area that carries Plastikote, :(

And yes, the price has gone up. I haven't tried Duplicolor primer in many years, but since I live right next door to an Advanced Auto, I'll definitely be giving it a try again down the road. I airbrush everything, so I'm not to concerned how it comes out the can. ;)

From what I have heard, Plastikote and Duplicolor are owned by the same manufacturer. I believe they have phased out the Plastikote line. Pep Boys used to stock it, but now has Duplicolor in it's place. I've always used Duplicolor gray primer on everything. Never had a problem with it with any paint whatsoever.