Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '70 Plymouth Superbird

I hate to be a party pooper, but as nice as this kit is, IMO the body isn't as well done as the original Johan. Something about the roofline (C pillar) in relation to the actual car always seemed off to me, Almost like it's too narrow or something. Of course, you do get a decent chassis unlike the Johan which has molded in everything.

And at least you get the vinyl roof texture-------something else that's missing in the original Johan.

Just my 2¢ worth. :(

Brandon, did you get this at Bobe's Hobby House, Walts Trains, or somewhere else in Pensacola? When I was stationed there (1997-98), I lived 2 blocks from Bobe's; Steve and Smiley were always cool with/to me, as I spent what seemed like half my Navy paychecks there!

:wacko: I bought this kit at Hobby Central in the Cordova Mall on 9th Ave. I visited Bobe's and bought some paints there as well as the Hobbytown USA.

It was also mentioned in the other Superbird thread that the front fender contours of the Revell kit are correct, whereas those of the Jo-Han kit are not.

Hmmm..............I hadn't noticed that about the fenders. I have an unbuilt kit, and a junker but it's been quite awhile since I looked at 'em. I'll have to check that out down the road. :lol:

The C-posts on the Revell body do look a little 'dainty' compared to the 1:1- looks to me like the rear edge of the quarter window opening follows the slope of the backlight a bit more than the 1:1. Seems like it would be fairly easy to graft in a 'dogleg' wedge to the back edge of the window opening to fix the c-pillar issue.

I hate to be a party pooper, but as nice as this kit is, IMO the body isn't as well done as the original Johan. Something about the roofline (C pillar) in relation to the actual car always seemed off to me, Almost like it's too narrow or something. Of course, you do get a decent chassis unlike the Johan which has molded in everything.

And at least you get the vinyl roof texture-------something else that's missing in the original Johan.

Just my 2¢ worth. ;)

You have to remember, this was originally done as a model of Richard Pettys Roadrunner, that showed up at the track with a vinyl roof to throw the inspectors off, was it really the roof, or something else that was out of kilter? Only the King & his court know for sure. B)

Edited by horsepower

I lived 10 minutes from the Cordova Mall, and about 10 minutes the other direction from the University Mall. Was the 'Village Inn' restaurant still out front of Cordova? Hobby Lobby is news to me, and so is a hobby shop in the Cordova Mall.

Keep your review coming Brandon; it is interesting to see your take on this kit (coming from a fresh, unjaded set of eyes).

You have to remember, this was originally done as a model of Richard Pettys Roadrunner, that showed up at the track with a vinyl roof to throw the inspectors off, was it really the roof, or something else that was out of kilter? Only the King & his court know for sure. :rolleyes:

You have your stories confused, This Monogram kit was not originally done as Richard Petty's car, that was a reissue that was a psuedo-Petty version. Also, the car that the King ran in Nascar with the vinyl top was a 68 Belvidere/Road Runner, long before the Superbird was ever thought of.

Well sorry if I offended anyone,but there seems to be way too much negativity about new/old releases and it always seems to be a select few. Go build planes and ships then 'cause it seems that the model car kits are just too :

Expensive,or fiddly or simple or whatever. I'm surprised that most if not all model companies aren't out of business in this economy.

And the beat DOES go on and on and.... Critiques are one thing,but it's becoming more and more like whining,as if someone's opinion is more valid than others.

I HATE it when I log onto a model car discussion board and a discussion about model cars breaks out! :lol:

Gawd, I know, right!

Oh, Ken, one other disadvantage to the Jo-Han- after you've gone through the motions just to nab one, you'll still need a better donor kit to use for pretty much everything but the body!

Am I going blind?, Or did Revell put the standard upholstery patterned rear seat with the bucket seats. If I am not mistaken, the upholstery pattern on the rear seat is wrong for a car with the bucket seat option. It looks like the pattern for the standard bench seat. OOOPS!!!

I build wooden model ships as well as plastic models and cars. I had someone tell me that the $400 wooden model ship that I purchased had inaccurcies in the rigging and some other components. I told them that I wasn't expecting the curator from the Smithsonian for dinner any time soon. It's a $20 MODEL CAR, none of them are perfect or 100% accurate. I can just about guarantee that no one will be at your house with templates checking the body shape. Build it and have fun. It's probably go on a shelf later on and eventually end up on the top of the shelf. Ken

I have owned both of them at one time, Me beins a 1/25 scale snob, I personally like the Jo-Han version better, the details in both kits are terrible, But, The plus side is if you have all the proper parts to fix the issues with the Jo-Han kit, I think that is the better of the 2 even without the vinyl top on the Jo-Han kit, To me, And this is just my oppinion on the Revellogam Superbird kits. As with alot of the other Mopar kits they made in 1/24th , They look cartoonish to my eyes. I just recently sold most of my Monogram 1/24th scale kits in a garage sale for $10 a piece, As I knew I would never build them, The only 1/24 scale kits I like from the series is the 66 Chevelle ,And the 68-69 G.T.O kits. The 70 Mustangs looked pretty good, But the only Mopar kit they got almost correct was the 69 Super Bee, Thats a nice kit. As far as buying a Jo-Han Superbird, you can get them for a decent price, I bought one for $35 from Dean's Hobby Stop last year.

it could have been cool for Revell to have included the way cool 5-spoke mags from the original GTX kit in the Superbird and made it an interesting 2-n-1.

You're right Dave. I think those are the only 1/24 Torque Thrust style wheels out there.

gus

• 1 month later...

This is probably a really stupid question but I'm asking it anyway. Has anyone tried swapping the Revell Superbird body with the Revell '70 Road Runner?

Do you mean putting the Superbird body on the '70 GTX/Road Runner chassis? Or vice-versa?

The Road Runner interior is a nice upgrade for the Superbird and GTX kits, though it may not be factory correct.

I just think that if Revell's going to take older, less-detailed, low-parts-count kits like this one _ the tooling costs for which were likely paid off long ago _ repackage them and sell them at premium prices, it should provide something extra. In the case of the Superbird, I continue to maintain a newly-tooled set of Mopar Rally wheels and a set of correct factory-stock decals were not too much to expect.

They can't use any Warner Brothers characters since Round2 has the license for those, so a correct set of decals is not an option....see the silhouette of the Road Runner at the front of the side stripe dust trail on the (also nicely updated) '70 Road Runner kit.

You're right Dave. I think those are the only 1/24 Torque Thrust style wheels out there.

gus

They are nice, but unfortunately they are 14" wheels.

For 15" Torq Thrust wheels, I prefer those from Monogram's '69 Camaro (molded in orange) and '55 Ford Pickup (molded in yellow) kits:

TTsset.jpg