Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '29 Model A Roadster 2'n'1

mrknowetall

Thanx Tim for the great writeup! Here's a graphic I prepared summarizing this landmark release, quoting liberally from Tim's superb reporting.

Revell-A-Bone-announcement-web.jpg

Bernard...I was wondering when you'd see this and weigh in with your perspective....guess we know now! Can't wait to see what you do with this kit.....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Is it just me, or is the A Roadster's body too long? Door too short? It just looks weird to me....

Methinks your paddle is to short. But some better eyeglasses wouldn't hurt. ;-)

What may be throwing your perspective off is that this isn't represented as a stock A body, the modified rear quarter panels that have the raised and re-radiused fender openings might be tricking your eyes, that and the fact that neither option appears to be actual photos of the kit since they both appear to be different bodies to the naked eye. It will be nice to have an A that will be a little more correct for a hot rod, all these years, and no one said a thing about the "other" kit having the wrong stiffening beads for the rear fender wells, and this one will actually have a better floor pan for its intended use.

Edited by horsepower

Bernard...I was wondering when you'd see this and weigh in with your perspective....guess we know now! Can't wait to see what you do with this kit.....TIM

Tim, I acrtually have mixed feelings about this kit. Partially it's because I have so much time and work invested in conquering the AMT version, so seeing so much of what I've been asking for for years, the I-beam axle, the small-section bias-ply style tires, a decent tuck 'n' roll interior, etc., is almost a shock, and certainly has me re-thinking some future builds I have planned. But I still will have to make a proper transverse leaf spring rear end if I'm to build an older period car. And Revell has once again tampered with the body, much as they did with the Rat Roaster, in order to accommodate more contemporary aspects. Like the Rat Roaster, I'll have to buy a kit and work with it before I come to my conclusions about it. In the case of the Rat Roaster I finished up by being very disappointed because Revell had to modify so many key parts to create a reasonable replica of the 1:1. So, even now, I still hoard the occasional Good Guys Highboy to make sure I have intact frame rails and a proper rear valance.

My first reading is that the Revell '29 A-Bone is a whole different animal than the Rat Roaster, more akin to their Slingster release which features considerable attention to detail and seeks to take advantage of the all new tooling it required. I think it will be far more than an excellent parts kit and give the '29 Model-A a new lease on life as a car modeling theme. It's high time! As you pointed out, it certainly has the potential to be the "anchor" release for a whole new series. I earnestly hope that will be the case.

Edited by Bernard Kron

What piques my interest are all the patterns Revell has in play right now.

Beam axle - check.

Finned drums - check.

Vintage Bias-plies - check.

Now between this surface-scratch of goodies in the A, and the panoply of powerplants in the '32 - plus the odd '40 steering wheel here and the stock firewall there - aren't we only a rear buggy spring and axle away from a 100% traditional Deuce?

I mean sure, you could raid a few kits and you're golden. But if Revell were to cut a tree of Deuce-specific parts from these masters, add leaves and a banjo, and make a modified reissue of the '96-issue Deuce roadster...

Will it have a stock/ stock-ish firewall and rear inner fender wells also? In one photo, the engine is recessed into the firewall. In the other, the engine is setting well in front of the firewall. Is it just the different chassis determining engine location? A firm thumbs down on the stepped chassis and inner fender wells. A Dana rear end? IMO, a nice quick change would have been a much better choice. I really like the engine, front axle, brake drums and tires! Hopefully, a coupe won't be far behind! And for the love of God, Revell, please don't make it a chopped top! Leave that option to the builder!

Thanks goodness Revell had the sense not to make this one a 4x4. :unsure:

$_57.JPG

I bet they won't have the sense to provide a top or fenders. So, we'll still have to buy the AMT kit. :P

I'm pretty sure you'll see some conversion kits from the aftermarket before long with a transverse leaf spring and Quick Change Halibrand...one of the hobby's most respected resin aftermarket casters has had his hands on test shots of this kit for several months. I talked to him about this very idea. TIM

No fenders or tops this time. They invested their effort in two completely separate chassis/frames and two overall configurations (highboy/lowboy) instead. There weren't any '29 A kits already out there with either of these features.

Obviously, doing only one chassis configuration with a stock model A frame (to allow the fenders) and with a top would have been a WHOLE lot easier for them....but a whole lot less impactful for the hobby, at least in my view. TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Roger asked: Will it have a stock/ stock-ish firewall and rear inner fender wells also?

The firewalls are different to support the Highboy and Lowboy configurations. The outer portions of the firewalls appear stock, with slight recesses along the valve covers and a deeper recess for the distributor. Most 1/1 scale builds have these same recesses due to the length of the Nailhead vs. while retaining the stock '32 Ford wheelbase.

Cheers...TIM

This is great news. I have always wanted to build something like this but never had a stash of parts to do it with the amt kit.

I'm pretty sure you'll see some conversion kits from the aftermarket before long with a transverse leaf spring and Quick Change Halibrand...one of the hobby's most respected resin aftermarket casters has had his hands on test shots of this kit for several months. I talked to him about this very idea. TIM

I sure hope your talking about Norm Veber at Replicas and Miniatures?

My first reading is that the Revell '29 A-Bone is a whole different animal than the Rat Roaster, more akin to their Slingster release which features considerable attention to detail and seeks to take advantage of the all new tooling it required.

Bernard...you are correct. In my view, the Rat Roaster was a rather odd car to base a model on....it was just a strange duck in many ways. It did have some pretty good kitbashing material, though.

This new '29A kit is right in almost every design area the Rat Roaster was wrong.

I also think it is considerably beyond the Slingster in execution and detail. But that's must my view.

I think you and all the other traditional hot rod roadsters will very quickly form your own conclusions when you get the kit in hand.

Cheers...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Guess i should be all like "whoopee", but I've been building traditional A-bones on Model A and Deuce rails for years (models AND full scale), bought up every old Revell parts-pack nailhead and Ivo Showboat I could get my hands on, as well as the old parts-pack roadster stuff for wishbones, axles, brake backing plates, and QC rear ends, plus a mess of Revell Challenger 1 kits for Buick finned drums, and a pile of old Revell woodies for the excellent frame and axles.

Should be interesting to see how all the newie stuff compares to some of the absolutely excellent old stuff.

Sounds like a great bunch of kitbashing goodies, at least. Sure hope they got it right.

I also hope the kit is a huge seller, 'cause it sure would be nice to have well-scaled 1/25 '28-'29 and '30-'31 closed car bodies to go with it down the road. A '26-'27 T roadster body would be pretty cool to see too.

Guess i should be all like "whoopee", but I've been building traditional A-bones on Model A and Deuce rails for years (models AND full scale), bought up every old Revell parts-pack nailhead and Ivo Showboat I could get my hands on, as well as the old parts-pack roadster stuff for wishbones, axles, brake backing plates, and QC rear ends, plus a mess of Revell Challenger 1 kits for Buick finned drums, and a pile of old Revell woodies for the excellent frame and axles.

...I also hope the kit is a huge seller, 'cause it sure would be nice to have well-scaled 1/25 '28-'29 and '30-'31 closed car bodies to go with it down the road. A '26-'27 T roadster body would be pretty cool to see too.

I've only been back in this racket about 6+ years now, but I've done the same thing. That's why I'm so conflicted about this. But at the end of the day I've gotten what I asked for so, like you, I can only hope Revell did a fabulous job and made my whole stash besides the point. Going forward I'm gonna have to build some pretty nice models from my soon-to-be obsolete heap-'o-parts...