Model Cars Magazine Forum

unidentified carbs

hi, i want to do an engine swap on my 74 vega and i found this engine out of a jada i didnt want any longer.

my question is what type of carburators are those?

are they real or just fictional?

it only matter cause i dont want fake parts on this car.

also, i wanted to do some searching but i have no idea what these are called or where to find info on them. i was on google for hours trying to mix and match key words but i have nothing to show for it.

the car is a masito so its kinda to scale 1/24 that will recieve this engine.

thanks

P1000385.jpg

P1000387.jpg

P1000386.jpg

They LOOK like Webber Side Draft Carbs, The kind of intake manifold that they ran on the Corvette SS models at Sebring back inthe 60's. I'm sure the guys'll know for sure! :unsure:

awesome, thanks!

ill do a search on Webber Side Draft Carbs ;)

hmm, did some research and i see older then the muscle car era cars and even old toyotas.

would this application make sense for a 67-present after market power adder?

thanks

Edited by rlucky73721

Weber hit my brain soon as I saw them, but what a funky arrangement. Webers are pretty much old school sports cars and equate in Europe to having a pile of Holly 4-barrels on your manifold here. What kind of car was this on? It IS a cool looking setup. Would be cool on a rod. A 74 Vega with 4 sleeping Webers could be cool too!

The side draft Webers shown in your pictures were used on a variety of V-8 engines in this configuration. The end of the carb opening should be flared like the velocity stack on a mechancal fuel injection setup such as Hilborn. The advantage is one carb ventury supplying each cylinder. The advantage of the side draft configuration is the hood clearance issue. Down draft Webers were used on Corvettes, Cobras, Shelby Mustangs, and others.

What you see are actually 4 carbs. The venturis are paired into one carb with the float bowls, etc. in the middle. This arrangement worked very well for road racing applications.

The purple and silver thing the carbs are sitting on look like the cylinder heads for some kind of overhead cam V-8 engine. What kind, I couldn't tell you.

Gary

After a quick Google image search for 'side draft weber manifold,' Here's a pic of a complete setup I borrowed from www.mooneyesusa.com:

web19030_015.jpg

As they are one of the best-known vendors of Weber carbs and related stuff, www.inglese.com has a lot of good DCOE reference pics:

350_DCOE_001.jpg

Marcus, I think that's a generic engine. The one your refering to is on the cover of Hi-Perfomance Cars,July,1971 issue.

I'm lookin at it right now, and it's got 4 vertically mounted Webers, with 3 crankcase breather tubes, between the carbs,in the valley cover. It has 2 distinct cam covers over each bank of cylinders, and the cover blurb say's"455 Olds DOHC Street Hemi" The engine that rluck is showin doesn't look ANYTHING like this monster! :D