Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Paul.... my apologies I must of posted around the same time you did and didnt see your comment. I really wish that was the case that the funny car would be done by then.... lol but I am trying to get a little more work done on one part of it for GSL. We will see if I can get it done.

Bob... sorry no updates yet. I am up at the GSL show and I will be getting back on this as soon ad I get back home.

Ken.. thank you very much. It has been fun and tested my patience at times lol but i have been enjoying building it.

hakan... thank you very much.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris is probably still celebrating! His funny car drew legions of admirers at the project table and he was busy all weekend discussing it with admirers. Additionally, his altered took a 3rd Place award and his dragster won its class against some stiff competition! He got quite an ovation.

He may not come back down to Earth for weeks!

Brad... I told Tom hi for you and I have to tell you. You need to go to the next one. It's got to be one of the best shows to attend.

Danno.... Thank you my friend. As I mentioned before, I am still in disbelief about things. I honestly thought there were many other builds in that class that were way better than those two builds of mine and other cars deserved the awards over mine. This show had so much talent from many wonderful builders and I was completely surprised that the judges even noticed my stuff.

Chris, the awards you got were well deserved. The judges got it right as far as I'm concerned. Bravo Buddy, Bravo. Same goes for Art & John's work as well. It was a pleasure to be on the same table with all you Looney Toonz. :lol:

Great pics in the Contests & Shows post too. We'll talk soon. I'm not wiped out like I was after DSC. Just disorganized and still playing catch up. :blink: My carry on bag weighed an extra 10 pounds from literature and vendor toys.

Art... Thank you so much, I appreciate it. i has so much fun hanging out with you as well. I am so glad I finally got to experience the GSL for the first time. I am already looking forward to the next.

Joe... thank you my friend. It was great to see you again as well and had fun hanging out with you. I still stand besides what I have said before that i do not think my builds deserved the awards because I thought there were many better builds on that table than what I brought. It's time for me to dust off my hobby bench and get back to work on this funny car tonight.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Great to hear you had such a fun week at GSL. And congrats on the awards! I must say, I've spent the past few days going back to the start and going all through the build again. I had forgot some of the problems you had, and how you pushed through them and came out better for it. This model is so inspirational and impressive. It will only get better once get get into the wiring and finer details.

Clay

Bob... Thank you very much. Its much appreciated. I started to tinker with the funny car last night and hopefully tomorrow I will start to tear the mock up down of the funny car so I can get back to work on it and start getting progress pics up. I have already been working out an idea on how I am going to do the back louvered window. It's another small hurdle to get the body work completed.

Tim... Thank you so much. Hopefully you will be able to make it out to the next GSL, It's a show that needs to be on everyone list to go to at least once. The Dragster was the 1/16th scale FED that was painted purple with a checkerboard.

Clay.... Thank you my friend. The GSL show was so much fun and I think the best part of it was meeting all of new people I got to meet. Those memories will last. Thanks again for going thru all of this thread again. I know there are many pages to go thru. I did encounter quite a few problems but I also learned a lot so far with this build that I will take with me on my future ones. The chassis definitely had its moments and now I can just about kick myself in the butt for not just scratch building the whole chassis when I tore it down to move the engine forward. I should of just went ahead and made it all new but now that is painted its staying painted...lol I will scratch build the next chassis for sure....lol. I am really looking forward to jumping back on this one and I have a few more things I need to design up for the engine and have 3D printed and I can't wait to start getting wiring and braided line and A/N fittings installed. I can't wait to see what more of it will look like on the engine. I am sure it will be an awesome feeling too see it, just like when I had the chassis mocked up the first time after it was painted. I felt that I hit a huge milestone there and when I was finally able to get the first primer coat on the body and not see the white plastic anymore....lol I am shooting to have this build done by the end of the year and I will have to try and make it out to the NNL that you attend. I would love to meet you and see your Gorgeous builds in person.

Ray... thank you so much my friend. You are right we are our own worst critics.

Everyone... I apologize I haven't gotten any updates on this in a while. I have made a plan of somethings I am going to be working on since I got back from GSL and in the mean time I have developed an Idea on how I am going to make the back window piece with the louvers/slots in it for the bodu. I had my parents come into town this weekend and are visiting for the week. So I may not get much bench time in but was going to try to squeeze a little in Bench time if I could but no promises. Anyways stay tu ned and I will have udates soon B)

• 2 weeks later...

Well Fellas.... I know its been a little while since my last update but wanted to let you all know I am getting back on this build. I have had a few busy weeks between from going out to the GSL to having my parents visit. I got some bench time last night and going to be getting a lot more time today and tomorrow. Anyway just wanted to share a small bit I worked on last night....

well before I could move on and work on anything else I needed to first address an issue I ran across. I found that my Oil Blow Off breathers on the valve covers were touching the body when I would put the body down. Now it wasn't much but I needed to make clearance in the body for them. Here you will see the area I marked out with a pencil that I will sand and make some clearance in that area:

DP-Army-Vega%207297-1_zpsj1nkr055.jpg

Here is what has been sanded out, I still have a tad more work to blend it all out but so glad to have it done because I can now start to focus on the under body bracing, getting them in primer and painting them:

DP-Army-Vega%207302-1_zpsyyw33vkz.jpg

Here it is with the tin work in place:

DP-Army-Vega%207299-1_zpsmzrunxks.jpg

Joe... Thank you.

Clayton... Thanks man. It feels great to get back on this. I am hoping to have more stuff done on this today to share with everyone. Although I have been planning another build in the midst of this one, which I am excited to start. Well to be honest there are 3 builds that are in the back of my mind at the moment.

Paul... Thank you for the kind words my friend. It's much appreciated. I am going to send out that package on Tuesday that I owe you. I hope you are still enjoying your vacation.

John... Thanks Brother. It feels so good to get back to the bench and making some progress. I can't wait to post more pics. Just wait for the next project.... It has a "Twins" theme.... If you get the drift.... ;):lol::D.... think people may go... :blink: ... hahaha

I've had the same clearance issues with magnetos. A micromillimeter makes all the diff in the world when it comes to stance.

As far as your next project, my guesses are either a Metropolitan with twin blowers or something Freight Train-ish. Am I close?

Edited by Nitrozilla