Model Cars Magazine Forum

1933 Ford ZZ Top Eliminator

I've been wanting this kit for a long time. Every time I see it on Ebay its been a little more than I've been willing to pay when you factor in shipping to Canada. I walked into my LHS yesterday and saw it on the shelf for $9.99. Its used but the bags inside were still sealed. But it is missing its front window, should be easy to fab though as its flat.

I'm going to hinge the trunk. The doors will be hinged suicide style. The hood will also be hinged. I'm super excited about this one

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

the mockup

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

One door cut out

IMG_0958.jpg

A great kit to work with. l am looking forward to this one...

Actually I'm finding it to be a ###### kit to work with. The body pieces fit terribly. This is going to take a lot of work to make it nice but I am determined to do it right, I love this car.

Does anyone know if these rims might be available in resin?

Edited by northendmetalallstar

This is a nice kit as a base.The body dates back to 1962 when it came with all parts to build a stock,1934 Ford as a coupe or roadster.It received a chopped top in the 90's to do the ZZtop car and is dated in details to be sure. I think that slipping the chassis from something newer would help and yes the body fits are pretty poor. This kit has been re-issued to death. there was recently a Thom Taylor roadster version with some updates to the chassis/running gear.

I'm confused. Every picture I've seen of the Eliminator have the same rims front and back.

Or do you mean the Back tires are wider/fatter than the front? Or am I not seeing something else?

main.jpg

I also just noticed that there are no door handles?? Does Billy Gibbons really have to reach inside and open the door to get in every time? LOL

The rear wheels appear to have deeper dish than the front ones, sort of like Ferrari GTO Borranis.

So I went and bought the '40 Ford truck to get the wheels out of it. I'm glad I did because the truck looks like a kit I will enjoy building anyways. After I get some new wheels for it of course, LOL

I also stripped all the chrome and used Alcad on everything.

Before;

IMG_0974.jpg

Alclad finished;

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

Here are the wheels and knockoffs I snatched out of the '40 Ford;

IMG_0979.jpg

After they were stripped the holes need to be re-drilled as you can see by the bottom right wheel I did;

IMG_0995.jpg

Ready for Alclad;

IMG_0998.jpg

I'm also having problems hingeing the suicide doors because the seats will be in the way of the arch of the hinge pin. I'll figure something out...