Model Cars Magazine Forum

What To Use For Asphalt In A Diorama

ricky moore

I found some thin black foam that is perfect at a craft store. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the product. (probably because it was about 10 years ago.) If you click my avatar to see my profile you can see it in my most recent topic. It came in a four pack so I only have a couple. :D I never seem to remember to look for more when I'm lurking around in the craft store.

I didn't have any problem understanding the request.... we must be on the same wavelength. :rolleyes:

I found some thin black foam that is perfect at a craft store. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the product. (probably because it was about 10 years ago.) If you click my avatar to see my profile you can see it in my most recent topic. It came in a four pack so I only have a couple. :( I never seem to remember to look for more when I'm lurking around in the craft store.

I didn't have any problem understanding the request.... we must be on the same wavelength. ;)

looks good wonder if it's the foam board walmart has it might be something else tho i'm leaning on sandpaper unless i find something else B)

Hello there friend! Just wanted to say your dio is coming along nicely especially being your first. Walmart should have the foam sheets that Dub mentioned. Go where the childrens school project material isle and you should see it on a shelf stacked with multiply colors and thickness as well. What good about the foam boards is the weathering you can do with rubbing on it a bit.

I use black & white automotive "trunk splatter paint" that is sold in auto parts stores.

Paint the base flat black, then the splatter paint, then dust with the flat black from about two feet away.

It gives it a texture and looks real. Here's a pic.

000_2545.jpg

Hi...ricky moore...there are many materials that you can use , sandpaper , black foamboard , black foam,etc , etc. it all depends in the final finish you would like to have. It is recomended to try many as you can and have you own judgment. I use most of the times Flexi Road materials , the scale is HO but I use the BH7093 HO- Scale Asphalt Road with no lines and just join them to do the wide measurement I need. It is from Scenic Express or any Model Train hobby shop near you. . You can enter www.scenicexpress.com here is a photo of a few of them http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/mb4985/roadmat.jpg . Hope this can help...........''Above and Beyond''..........Barbo

Edited by Barbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I use used sanding belts from work, bonded with wood glue, I paint it the cheap Wally world blue first, not entirely, just a quick coat, then primer gray and allow it to dry, then gloss and flat black dustings. Before the last paint cures, I wipe with a rag(non-lint) and thinner until it looks right. Practice Makes Perfect. After a complete curing, I mask off and spray the double yellows and/or white lines. I also make some great guard rail out of the cartons that 2 1/2 dozen eggs come with. And I beams from Index cards.

This is low grit woodworking sandpaper, painted flat black and then distressed with a rag before the paint dried. My first try at something like this, but I think it turned out well. These are WIP shots of the dio-base for my Stephen King Cougar.

100_0618.jpg

100_0620.jpg

100_0619.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey kids, I built a stucco building that was to replicate a gasoline station built here in Richmond Va a couple of years ago. Any way, to make a long story short, I knew that Plastikote's "Textured" or Stone finishes as they refer to them will work really well. You can also cover these finishes with Testors paints as well. I usually shop at Michiel's art stores to buy this product. I have also used "Bondo" thats about ready to Kick too., however, this ios iffy at best and your results wont be consistant. For what its worth, about all I do any more is "Petrolina' related projects. The I P M S club in Richmond can attest to this as any one who has attended an Old Dominion Open show can concer. Currently I am trying to build the "Shell' shaped building in Winston Salem North Carolinia I wish I had the capacity to share pictures with every one, sadly you will have to come to the N N L show there Aug 15th . I'll answer any of your questions there. Ed

Another thing you can do is spray down a wet coat and dust on some fine grit sand.When dry, brush the access off then paint. A black base is good to start with. then after adding a charcoal color or color of choice, use you hobby nife and make some distressed lines where the asphalt has cracked.I like that old what is it, desert road diorama! Very cool!!

I use black & white automotive "trunk splatter paint" that is sold in auto parts stores.

Paint the base flat black, then the splatter paint, then dust with the flat black from about two feet away.

It gives it a texture and looks real. Here's a pic.

Cool, I didn't know that they still sold that paint in the stores! Another option would be to use textured paint (like Krylon's "Make it Stone") and then paint it black.